HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:44 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,420 Posts
the fuselage, wings and vertical stabs will be face molded. The rest will be placed entirely in a bag
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:36 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Ah, so you're only looking to put the structure on the back of the fuse, wings and verts? Sorta like their own stand? That's a good idea.

Have you had time to play with the tooling dough? I'm wondering what that's like, for a quick, easy way to make thick moulds. I currently use sand for thick ones, but anything larger than a stab, and you'll need a crane!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Ah, so you're only looking to put the structure on the back of the fuse, wings and verts? Sorta like their own stand? That's a good idea.

Have you had time to play with the tooling dough? I'm wondering what that's like, for a quick, easy way to make thick moulds. I currently use sand for thick ones, but anything larger than a stab, and you'll need a crane!
Yeap, just the wings, verts and fuse. The structure will add some torsional rigidity to keep the molds from flexing during bagging and help to stabilize them as well.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with the dough yet. I'm planning to use it to add some bulk to the mold flanges on a few of the items as well.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,420 Posts
I've been kind of lazy since moving into the new home, so I haven't done a whole lot. I'm also leaving on tuesday for a 2 week long work trip, so not much else will get done till i get back either. Hopefully by then, my 6oz glass cloth will have arrived and I can get back to making some molds.

So progress...

The Top of the fuselage is completed and ready to be scotch brite wiped, waxed and then it can be molded... WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once i get the top of the fuselage molded, I'll flip it over on its top, then finish the last bit of filling and sanding on the bottom of the fuse.

I did take time over the past 2 weeks to layup the first canopy frame. I didn't expect it to come out perfect, but for the first attempt, I learned allot... Such as:

1. Remove as much of the canopy frame mold where the fiberglass frame wont be laid up. This will allow you more access to the joints when you get ready to join the halves.
2. Make Re-useable templates to cut the fiberglass pieces accurately to size and shape. This will make life much easier. I will probably get some cheap clear plastic or formica sheet to do this.
3. A couple more i can't think of right now, i'll add to the list later.

This layup is fairly light weight as it is only 2 layers of glass, except for the aft end of the part where the canopy lift/close mechanism will attach, which is 3. Their is no carbon anywhere, and hysol was used in the corners to join the halves. Over-all weight is 5oz exactly how you see it. I suspect their is about 1oz of material that would be trimmed off.

Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:48 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,150 Posts
Nice man! Amazing how much we learn from doing things the hard way and realizing there is a much better way. Problem is, we don;t realize what we are missing or how we could be saving time until we do it an learn right?
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,420 Posts
Brian,
Truer words could not be spoken. Im going to do all of the hardest layips first, that way i can figure then out and waste as little material as possible. The canopy frame and wing fairings are goong to be the hardest things i believe
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,420 Posts
Trimmed off 90% of the excess from the canopy frame. Weight is now down to 3.5oz so i suspect that I should have the canopy frames at 3oz. I also trimmed the vacuum form mold for the canopy as well. I'll probably get the internal support parts for this done before I leave for work on tuesday. I also trimmed the canopy molds as well. The new holes in the canopy mold will make joining the two halves much easier.

Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:52 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,769 Posts
Keep after it , you're doing a great job.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,420 Posts
Not a whole lot of new stuff to post.. But The 2nd canopy frame is laid up, and the 1st ventral fin is laid up as well. Also 2 youtube vids:

How to Build an F-14D tomcat #45 (12 min 51 sec)

How to build a F-14D Tomcat #46 (6 min 13 sec)
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:15 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,150 Posts
Nice work man! I hope you can find a good way to make templates. Once I lay the 2 he oz in the mold, I always have trouble with the cloth shifting and changing shape and is never exactly the size it should be. I lined the mold with masking tape, then pulled the tape out in one piece and then laid the masking tape on poster board for my template. I gave up and now just trim the edges after a few hours. It sucks because I always nick the edge of the mold.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,420 Posts
The masking tape is a good idea but man o man would i go through allot of masking tape lol

The cloth shifting is one reason i am really interested in doing vaccuum infusion. It allows you to do thd entire layup in the mold with no resin so you can take your time. Not to mention thd fuselage of this beast is just way to big for one person to do a hand layup alone
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:55 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,150 Posts
Yeah the masking tape method is not good for you haha. Someone suggested I cut out the cloth on some ind of paper( I forget what its called). You wet it out on that paper, then lay it in the mold and then peel the paper off. It keeps the cloth from shifting while you lay it in the mold.

How perfect do you think you need to be. I have always wondered that. If you have a small gap at the edge of the mold, do you think it really matters? The gap will be filled with the epoxy and glass from the strip of glass that joins the half. I never wanted to take the chance, so I have been just trimming the glass after. I hate doing it though.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Yeah the masking tape method is not good for you haha. Someone suggested I cut out the cloth on some ind of paper( I forget what its called). You wet it out on that paper, then lay it in the mold and then peel the paper off. It keeps the cloth from shifting while you lay it in the mold.

How perfect do you think you need to be. I have always wondered that. If you have a small gap at the edge of the mold, do you think it really matters? The gap will be filled with the epoxy and glass from the strip of glass that joins the half. I never wanted to take the chance, so I have been just trimming the glass after. I hate doing it though.
As long as you get a good seam joint, i dot think you have to worry about being perfect. Granted the better the layup is, the less time you have to spend prepping seam lines. So the closer to perfect you can get the better
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:56 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,272 Posts
I can't believe the patience you and Brian have... it's looking great!
Both of you are doing very impressive work, worlds away from what me and the average guy can do.

You are going to be on cloud 9 when you get one finished... that will be an awesome day
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined May 2003
175 Posts
I am enjoying your thread immensely. I am in awe of someone who possesses both the skill and patience to see such a project to fruition. I plan to attend Joe Nall and anxiously await seeing the Tomcat. Do you think you will have a flying prototype at Nall??
bonefishfool is offline Find More Posts by bonefishfool