746 Posts
Awesome project! Subscribed!
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:48 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Alriighttty.....

first up, a trip to Michaels arts and crafts to get some floral foam. Then a hole was drilled in the center of the exhaust nozzle plywood blank and a bind nut installed (actually i did this afterwards). Then some gorilla glue was smeared along the aft side of the plywood disc and then put down on the block of flora foam and weighted down with a gallon of PVA to cure. Once cured, the floral foam block was rough trimmed to shape.

Then a bolt, locknut and washer was assembled together to give the drill press something to grab hold of, then the exhaust nozzle foam/wood thing was put in the drill press. The press was turned on, then after about 15 minutes with some sandpaper, the exhaust nozzle plug blank was shaped. Its now ready to be fiberglassed, and then detailed with the turkey feather's made from litho plate.

And of course, the customary test fit

Then I got back to work on the windscreen panels. First off was the front center panel:

Then the 2 side panels just under the windscreen frame were made, then all 3 panels detailed and glued into place:

And since the actual windscreen frame is 4 separate pieces, that was the next thing up. The first panels i did, were the frame panels on the bottom of the side windscreen panels:

Then the top side and aft windscreen hope frame panels are one piece. and each side is slightly different. SOOOOo.... In order to form those, you have to have some fun with the litho panels.
I cut a triangle large enough to cover 3/4 of the windscreen, then annealed it ALLOT more than usual. The panel was then taped down the center of the windscreen and then it was "rolled" over to the side windscreen panels. It wouldn't roll completely over w/o having some huge wrinkles, so once it was rolled enough to differentiate exactly where the transition was, an large portion of the litho was cut out, but no so much that it didn't leave enough material for the
frame. Then the litho sheet was worked until it fit nice and snug with the windscreen. In the photo below, you will see a few bumps in the panel. These are intentional b/c they allow the panel to "shrink" a bit and fit correctly:

And what the panel looks like after its removed from the windscreen and before trimming to its final shape:

Next up, is to detail the little panels along the bottom sides, install them, then finish up the last 2 windscreen panels. Then i have a few little details on the vertical fins to do, and fiberglass the exhaust nozzle plug. Hopefully i can get all this done today b/c tomorrow is auto maintenance day...
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:13 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
you make me sick. seriously. LMAO.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
LOL.. Oh yea, i forgot to mention, i ordered another 11 gallons of epoxy today
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:34 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
ouch. that's gotta hurt the pocket book. LOL.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Oh you have no idea... hopefully thats the last LARGE epoxy purchase until i have to start stocking up to make actual parts...
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:35 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I've got a pretty good idea. LOL.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:36 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,129 Posts
My hats off to you scratch builders! The talent and skill is mind boggling!Defiantly a labor of love!
sheppard559 is offline Find More Posts by sheppard559
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:23 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I've got a pretty good idea. LOL.
People are shocked when i tell them how much $$$ i have invested into the plugs for this model.... You never really expect it to cost so much, until you really start looking into the financials of what to takes just to get to the point of having the first viable airfame, and determining how quickly you would like to re-coop your investment from kit-sales....
Old Oct 15, 2011, 03:53 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
yeah, it's shocking to most when you tell them how much you've paid for a plane. they don't even consider this part of the process.

I was shocked at the price of fiberglass cloth when I went into a local body shop supplier a few months ago. last time I bought any, it was less than half the price. I buy what I need from Hobby King now. it's 1/10th the price and the right weight for the job. LOL.

I was even more astonished when I inquired about resin pricing. holy &^%$#@! LMAO.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
yeah, it's shocking to most when you tell them how much you've paid for a plane. they don't even consider this part of the process.

I was shocked at the price of fiberglass cloth when I went into a local body shop supplier a few months ago. last time I bought any, it was less than half the price. I buy what I need from Hobby King now. it's 1/10th the price and the right weight for the job. LOL.

I was even more astonished when I inquired about resin pricing. holy &^%$#@! LMAO.
Yea, when it comes to fiberglass, if it comes in a plastic baggy, its way to expensive. The best place to get glass, is places that buy it in bulk and then cut it down to smaller quantities and then sell it.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
In between working on the truck (plus i did some of that last night), I did some work on the 14 today...

First up, was getting that windscreen done. Sooooo...
I installed the lower side frame panels to the windscreen:

Then i made the template for trimming the left side windscreen opening on the piece of litho i made yesterday:

Then traced the template onto the litho panel, then cut that portion out:

Then i did the same for the center frame opening:

Then i flattened this out with my little roller and made a tracing of it for the other side:

Then all the screw details were hammered into the plate and attached to the windscreen:

Then the same thing was done for the other panel, and here it is completed:

Then the light frames for the vertical fins, formation light frames, and the stiffeners (the brass parts) on the sides were made up and installed on the vertical fins:

Then i made up the last 4 access panels for the vertical fins, and the last access panels for the wings. Once these are installed, All of the litho detailing will be 99% done. The only thing left to do, is the exhaust nozzle parts.

Then i glassed the exhaust nozzle plug. Once it goes green, i'll trim the glass and glass the end of the foam, then leave it to cure. Then i guess while i wait, I will either make the turkey feather panels, or finish the aft fuselage mods.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:46 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
last little bit for tonight... The wings access panels were installed:

And the vertical stab panels were installed:

And a video with catchup progress for those who don't watch these forums, and some ramblings of the plans for molding, etc.

How to build an F-14D Tomcat #38 (16 min 9 sec)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:15 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,011 Posts
Pics

Thomas,

I got my new yearly pass in the mail, let me know if you need any info or close up shots, it's about a 5 minute drive from work.
We are able to walk, crawl etc under it, the cockpit has a ladder so you can see inside, but the canopy is closed.
Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA