HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2003, 04:08 PM
Member: GSPL
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Yippee!
Midwest Slope 3m Epp Fox!

I finally got my hands on a Midwest Slope 3m Fox and boy am I impressed. The kit contains the following:

Fuselage cut from six inch thick epp – the basic oval shape is already cut and it comes in three large chunks – nose, cockpit/mid-section and trailing edge on back. All the fuse’ needs is assembly and final sanding. Oh, btw, the front canopy section has been cut off and hollowed for easy radio access ( ala TFLG on his 60' PSSers )and the hole for the joiner rod is pre drilled.

The tail group is balsa and includes stab and fin, rudder and elevator with tip pieces that build up to have a scale counter balance.

The wing panels were a big surprise. Two sections each side that need to be joined, but here is the surprise – the joiner boxes and carbon tube spars are pre-built and installed in the panel!!!! The boxes are brass tubes with the carbon spars joined by Kevlar wrappings all put together with epoxy. All that is left to do is join the outer panel to the inner, slip the outer carbon rods into the inner spar tubes and goop the outer spars in place. The steel joiner rod that holds it all together is gigantic.

This is a very complete kit. It includes nyrods, clevis, control horns and carbon in brass tube incidence rods.

Hummm… any suggestions on a non-white color scheme for a Fox?

Jeff

Here is the fuse' sections from the Midwestslope web page (www.midwestslope.com)
sloperut is offline Find More Posts by sloperut
Last edited by sloperut; Sep 06, 2003 at 05:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2003, 09:57 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Sounds like you've got a winner, congratulations. Are you planning on a build thread? (pleaseohpleaseohplease....) I'd like to see how this goes together.

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Sep 06, 2003, 10:17 PM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
I to would like to know how the Fox goes together and flies!

I've always liked the Fox. Great lines to that plane.

Dan Schramm.....
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old Sep 07, 2003, 12:24 AM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Let's see. Talked wife into new glider. Guess I'll have to buy her a digital camera. If I do a build thread I will have to scan from film. Keep checking back.

Jeff
Old Sep 07, 2003, 01:05 AM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
She sounds like a great wife, the generous thing to do would be to buy her that digital camera she's had her eye on. C'mon, it's time to think about her needs!

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Sep 12, 2003, 12:01 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,867 Posts
Jeff, glad you like the kit. I just got mine out again and have it charged and ready for the rain to stop. I do need to make a correction the spar joiner is Gooped over the Kevlar not epoxy. If you have any questions. be sure to ask.
Mike
www.midwestslope.com
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:26 PM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Fox build.

Photos! No, I haven't bought the digital camera for my wife yet. I borrowed one.

This is the wing root and joiner box as it comes out of the box. Nice pre-fab. Two carbon tubes top and bottom with the brass joiner tube in between. Then wrapped with kevlar and gooped together.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:30 PM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
This is the substantial steel joiner rod. 17" x 1/2"
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:33 PM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Fuse' with joiner rod in pre-drilled hole.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:43 PM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Starting to smooth the fuselage sections. The fuselage starts out in five sections and and the three most important - root section - comes glued for you. You are required to align and glue the tail boom section and the nose to the middle section. It is hard to see but the front canopy has been cut off also. this covers the radio bits. It has been hollowed out for you. I tac glued it on for shaping
Last edited by sloperut; Sep 23, 2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 11:53 PM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Back to the wings: I have completed most of the assembly. It was pretty simple: Glue the tip panels to the inner panels (hot glue or goop I tried both), trim the wing tips using the supplied pattern, lay a bead of goop in the bottom pre-cut outer spar channel, four drops of instant glue in the spar tube, slip the outer spar rod into the inner spar tube and press it into the spar channel. Repete on the top of the wing. The whole lot goes into the cut-offs and left overnight to cure. I placed phone books on top of it all.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:01 AM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Here is the mid wing joint. The trailing edge needs to be trimed so the wing root is 10 3/4" and the root is 5 3/4" I used a string streached between the two dimensions, placed small marks every couple of feet and connected the dots with a straight edge. After trimming, trailing edge stock is glued to the sub-trailing edge and also used for the aileron. In the photo you can see the line that goes from root to tip.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:02 AM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Here is the wing tip.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:04 AM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
A few more photos:

Pre-cut tail mount area (still needs to be shaped).
Old Sep 23, 2003, 12:05 AM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Three meters of EPP