SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:53 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,129 Posts
Question
Can i remove integrated esc bec (turnigy plush)

I've just got a deal on a heli but the guy handed me a turnigy 80 amp plush esc that works,

However it's intergrated bec has smoked.

I see the esc consists of 2 or 3 pcb's plugged into each other, now the guy tells me the silver square thingy is the bec that smoked, it looks to be locked or slightly soldered into the pcb on both sides of the square bec box via 2 sharp edges from the bec entering the pcb

Can i unplug the esc pcb's and just try and notch the bec off ? or would that make the esc stop from working
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Last edited by Axefly; Aug 05, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:34 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,759 Posts
If the BEC is totally dead and not drawing any current at all, you could just leave it alone, (less risk of damaging the main board).

One slight risk is there being some charring to the board if it got really hot and maybe some carbon deposits on the board, that may cause a problem, (clean the area).

The ESC only needs the -ive and signal wire from the Rx to work, (and obviously the flight battery). And the Rx and servos just need a new supply from somewhere.

Remove the red, center wire from the ESC's connector to Rx lead, and just add a stand alone BEC, (UBEC/SBEC best), or even use a separate 4.8v, (4 nimh cell) pack the power the Rx and servos.

If you think you can remove the old BEC fairly easy, Ok, but watch for any solder splashes, wiskers, shorts etc, when desoldering.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:32 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axefly View Post
Can i unplug the esc pcb's and just try and notch the bec off ? or would that make the esc stop from working
I for one don't know the answer to that question - but if you disconnect the centre red wire from the ESC RX lead as eflitray said, that will allow you to use a UBEC or RX battery.

If the ESC, along with a suitable UBEC or RX battery doesn't then work, you probably have no alternative to removing the smoked circuit board - and if you do have to do that, please do tell us the results!

Good luck!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:58 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
now the guy tells me the silver square thingy is the bec that smoked,
The BEC is underneath the 'silver square thingy' (which is just a metal shield).

Quote:
Can i unplug the esc pcb's and just try and notch the bec off ?
No. The pcbs are soldered together and not easy to separate. Chances are that it won't hurt to leave the faulty BEC in, so just disconnect the red wire and try it...
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:42 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
The BEC is underneath the 'silver square thingy' (which is just a metal shield).

No. The pcbs are soldered together and not easy to separate. Chances are that it won't hurt to leave the faulty BEC in, so just disconnect the red wire and try it...
Thanks guys, No this pcb is not soldered together, it plugs in kind of like pc cpu's plugs into the motherboard, i'ts easy to spot that it is plugged in this way, now, what i don't know is if the thingy underneath the silver square is soldered onto the board ? And if i remove it will it somehow cause and open circuit so the esc won't work at all ? (is it soldered like a capacitor onto the boars or lis it more like a microchip with those many small wires that can only be basically soldered by robots ?
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:45 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, No this pcb is not soldered together, it plugs in kind of like pc cpu's plugs into the motherboard,
Interesting. Perhaps they have recently changed to plug-in connectors?

Here's a Turnigy Plush 80A with the BEC shield removed. It appears to be identical to my Hobbywing Pentium 80A, which has pins soldered between the two pcb's. I was able to remove the shield without separating the boards.

To disable the UBEC circuit you only need to disconnect pin 2 of the ACT4070/MPS1593 switch-mode regulator chip (2nd pin from top right). The easiest way to do this is simply cut the pin off with a sharp knife.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:36 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Interesting. Perhaps they have recently changed to plug-in connectors?

Here's a Turnigy Plush 80A with the BEC shield removed. It appears to be identical to my Hobbywing Pentium 80A, which has pins soldered between the two pcb's. I was able to remove the shield without separating the boards.

To disable the UBEC circuit you only need to disconnect pin 2 of the ACT4070/MPS1593 switch-mode regulator chip (2nd pin from top right). The easiest way to do this is simply cut the pin off with a sharp knife.
You mean this one (encircled in black) Feels like i'm in one of those bond movies diffusing a bomb !

If i remove the whole chip, would my esc not work ?
Old Aug 08, 2011, 05:35 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
You mean this one (encircled in black) Feels like i'm in one of those bond movies diffusing a bomb !
Yes, that's it. Just make sure you're in a Bond movie, not episode 22 of Sledge Hammer!

Quote:
If i remove the whole chip, would my esc not work ?
Removing the whole chip is very difficult (it has a bottom pad soldered to the pcb) but you can cut off all the pins if you wish.
Last edited by Bruce Abbott; Aug 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: redundancy
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:37 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,129 Posts
"Yes, that's it. Just make sure you're in a Bond movie, not episode 22 of Sledge Hammer!"

lol, i wouldn't want anything to go wrong !

"Removing the whole chip is very difficult to remove (it has a bottom pad soldered to the pcb) but you can cut off all the pins if you wish."

thanks