SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:19 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Discussion
Midwest Sniffer

I ran out of red tissue putting the trim on my Phanto Fury for the Sparky Phantom Fury Challenge ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1481636 ). I had such fun with that that I decided to build a Sniffer while I waited for my tissue to arrive. After looking at the Midwest Plan and noting all of the parts that were not on the plan, I decided to redraw it in CAD with some updates and modifications for three channel RC. Also, that way I would be able to laser cut the parts and the actual build would take almost no time. Attached is the outcome and includes all of the templates and parts required to build a Sniffer. The plane is to be powered with a RimFire 200 with a Flight Power 6 amp ESC. I will use a Futaba micro receiver and some 2.5 gram Helimax servos.

edit: Thayer Syme was kind enough to convert my CAD into this more accessible PDF
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Last edited by D Johnson; Aug 05, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:23 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Attached is a pictur of the wing. It weighs 10.8 grams and still needs a bit more sanding. Build time as shown, 45 minutes.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:40 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,443 Posts
Dave, the wing looks good.

Looking forward to seeing the bones all together.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:29 PM
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined May 2007
147 Posts
nice wing dave. Cant wait to start on mine.
semeraro is offline Find More Posts by semeraro
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:55 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Didn't Midwest make a larger version of this airplane as well? I thought it was called the Super Sniffer.

Thanks.

Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:06 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Yep. it had a 48" WS. A Super Sniffer with a galloping Ghost was my first RC airplane. I had also built three Sniffers with Cox Pee Wee .020 engines. lost em all.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:21 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Well everything is glued together and sanded on the flying surfaces. I have to sheet the top and bottom of the fuselage next. I ciut my firewall into three pieces. The central part which holds the Rimfire will be set wherever suits the prop drive. If I can figure out where I left my camera, I will take more pictures.

DJ
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:49 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Found my camera under a pile of stuff! A quick go over with 220 grit and I am ready to start doping. Pics below. All the radio stuff is installed.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 03:14 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Gotta work usually at getting enough weight forward.Or that was my experience. I assume you will have the battery just behind the engine perhaps mounted vertically? Or perhaps I just built the tail section on mine too heavy.

I always thought a small amount of nose extension might not be a bad ideal on this design. Should be suttle though. For a nice slow flight envolope this model will do nicely. I think a lot of them where built and I might do another one myself yet. The super sniffer though as the wing still lives from the last one down the basement. About as easy and quick build as there is out there in my opinion.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Last edited by barry wilson; Aug 08, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:52 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Everything is forward of the CG. ESC is above the motor, battery is at about 60 degrees behind the motor and the servos as tight as I could get them and allow easy installation of the battery. The receiver is mounted on edge between the servos.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:24 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Thayer, I don't suppose a Super Sniffer would be in your plans? Hint, hint...
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:51 AM
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined May 2007
147 Posts
I started my sniffer from Dave's redone plans last night. Got the stab built. Should have the rest of the surfaces done tonight. Ordered the electric bits this morning. Now what color scheme should I use...

Dave S.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:27 AM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
I have never had any difficulty getting plastic covering to stick to undercambered wing ribs. A coat or two of balsa rite on the undercambered portion does it.

I realise some of you are using tissue type coverings as well. I just blew up the smaller sniffer plans to build my super sniffer. The actual plans for the super sniffer released by midwest had portions of the rear fuselauge sides cut out to get the weight back there down.

If there is a design that can fly for a long period of time and hundreds of flights without damage this may be one of them. Normally the airspeed the design likes is very slow or seems to be to me.

Mine flew right off the board really well I remember. I only had to add a notch or two of trim at most on the transmitter and it was perfect in my eyes.

I have to get a 14 year old going with his first model plane. I am really considering this as a good stable model for his first attempt.

It seems to take very little power to fly this model with that high lift wing. For example an .09 on the super sniffer at 48 wingspan was really far too much power in my opinion. I know midwest recommended and .049 for the super. This model does not like it's speed envolope pushed that hard. As an electric the advantage of lighter batteries and smaller motor than what one would think required might be possible. Keep the weight down and this one will thermal well.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Last edited by barry wilson; Aug 08, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:56 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
I've got the plane almost covered. Should be finished tonight. New pix tomorrow.

DJ
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:35 PM
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined May 2007
147 Posts
sniffer bits.

Progress so far...