Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:37 PM
United States, NV, Rachel
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Discussion
So which are THE BEST lipo batteries in the market?

What are the top 5 batteries out there? Most reliable and best performing.
alexedit is online now Find More Posts by alexedit
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
thunderpower is probably still the best in terms of living up to the C ratings. They are the go-to battery for big 12s helis, but very expensive.
A single 6s 5000mah battery is over $200.

Anything else (hyperion, zippy, any hobbyking battery etc) is going to be "reliable" if it arrives at your house at 3.8v per cell and you don't mistreat it.

FPVers tend to want to optimise for flight duration not top speed, so you pick the lightest name brand battery that is currently in stock. A 20c battery is usually more than enough.
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:17 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
I switched over to Gens Ace from Thunder Power. So far Im happy with them. They are cheap compared to TP's and I can get them warrantied here in the states if I get a bad one. 4s 3300 25c for $31.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:27 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Dualsky GTS 45C packs from 2Dogrc/ other vendors. They are unreal. Blow the pants off every tp battery I've ever used, and I abuse them too. Put 2800mah into my 2650mah packs yesterday, and they have WAY les voltage sag than any other pack I've seen. I gained almost 50w on my Zeph just by switching to these from Turnigy nanotechs.
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:32 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
I switched over to Gens Ace from Thunder Power. So far Im happy with them. They are cheap compared to TP's and I can get them warrantied here in the states if I get a bad one. 4s 3300 25c for $31.
+1 Gens Ace have a VERY good reputation for providing 95% the performance of the very best, but at a fraction of the price. I have some and when required, I'll be buying more.
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:38 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,050 Posts
The " Name Brand " LIPOS are a ripoff. They are good quality, but I will not pay FOUR TIMES as much for a name brand when I can get a Zippy that works just as well and lasts about the same amount of time. There are bad ones out there to avoid, but Zippy from Hobby King has a good reputation and reviews from users, and a very good price. All LIPO's are life and time limited, and you do not get your moneys worth buying the super over priced ones.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:40 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
It's true that R/C car requirements (regarding C rating and weight) differ from ours, but never-the-less, the below 'shootout' tests are interesting and still relevant when judging the quality of the brands

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-battery-shoot-out/

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2/

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...-3-4s-edition/
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:51 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
The " Name Brand " LIPOS are a ripoff. They are good quality, but I will not pay FOUR TIMES as much for a name brand when I can get a Zippy that works just as well and lasts about the same amount of time. There are bad ones out there to avoid, but Zippy from Hobby King has a good reputation and reviews from users, and a very good price. All LIPO's are life and time limited, and you do not get your moneys worth buying the super over priced ones.

Mike
I wouldn't agree entirely here. As with most things in life (Hi-Fi, cars, etc.), lipo batteries follow the law of diminishing returns. i.e. if you pay twice as much, you will NOT get a battery which is twice as good.

I've bought crap batteries before where the 2-core cable has been 14AWG rather than 12AWG gauge, they've folded at a fraction of their C rating (I've bought 2 x 4000mAh 3S '25C' batteries which both crumbled at 5C) and rarely do cheap batteries hold the capacity the say. My experience is that an 'average' (i.e. not dirt cheap) eBay 4000mAh is more like 34000mAh, but at least I can now factor that in when buying.

Yes a battery which costs twice as much may only give you 10% more performance, but as long as you're happy that in a race your plane, car etc will only ever have 90% the performance of your competitors', that's fine.
Last edited by Ian Davidson; Aug 05, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:57 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
That shoot out doesn't make sense.

The batteries are scored according to weight and voltage under load and duration on the track but THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT CAPACITIES. Unsurprising then that the Turnigy 4500 scored best in weight, but worst in duration and voltage sag.

If you compare voltage under load to decide which battery is better, make sure that (a) the battery has the same capacity and (b) the load is the same.

Anyway for FPV use weight per MaH to decide because 90% of the time you are running them at 1c, not 20c+. You want to fly for 1 hour or 3 minutes? if for 3 minutes, then buy the ones that work best at 20c..
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:08 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Those shootout tests compare (amongst other things) what the quoted capacity is with the actual delivered capacity, so this is just testing the battery against itself (so to speak), thus as stated, the tests are still relevant to us when judging the quality of the brands.

Also, I typically use 3S 4000mAh batteries and I've yet to encounter a 'no brand' 20C battery which can deliver 80A. Personally I take most quoted C-ratings with a massive pinch of salt.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 04:56 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,055 Posts
If you need to draw 80A from a 3S 4000mah battery plane you are not representing the average FPV pilot. Heck, at 80A that full charged 4000mah battery will be completely emptied (dead) in 3 minutes.
Must FPV users will enjoy long flights, happily cruising along at a low power consumption while taking in the scenery. For such applications there is no need for high prices brand lipos. And if you are to far out and have to totally drain the battery to get home, I would much rather destroy a cheap battery.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:02 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
If you need to draw 80A from a 3S 4000mah battery plane you are not representing the average FPV pilot. Heck, at 80A that full charged 4000mah battery will be completely emptied (dead) in 3 minutes.
Must FPV users will enjoy long flights, happily cruising along at a low power consumption while taking in the scenery. For such applications there is no need for high prices brand lipos. And if you are to far out and have to totally drain the battery to get home, I would much rather destroy a cheap battery.
That's not the point I'm making...

It's been said most people can fly off 1C. Well if what the manufacturer is claiming is 1C *is* 1C- then PERHAPS. I'm saying I don't believe most manufacturers' quoted C-ratings, but if you do, then you should be happy to buy and fly with super cheap eBay 5C or 10C batteries, but I bet no one does. I've bought 15C batteries which have folded at 5C.

----
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-3S-11-...-/180679330235

I've bought these exact batteries before, which if you believe the sticker should be good for 60A continuous. Well, the ESC on my Easy Star shut down when it requested just 23A (< 6C) at launch from a fully charged pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
And if you are to far out and have to totally drain the battery to get home, I would much rather destroy a cheap battery.
I would much rather have a battery which is consistent and delivers what it promises.
Last edited by Ian Davidson; Aug 05, 2011 at 05:18 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:43 AM
Vaudreuil,Qc
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
I fly Zippy's and Turnigy's, and i wouldn't trust these ebay battery's either.

but I have to say we lost a plane in a tree and well only thing gone is the battery:

total damage: 9$.

I prefer having a "25C" 3s 2200mah running at 25 amps MAX, it give me a good margin
against an inflated "C" rating but i never had a problem with all 8 of them.
trueppp is offline Find More Posts by trueppp
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:22 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
919 Posts
Certainly THERE ARE NO BETTER batteries for the price than Zippy's and Turnigy's.
If you want to have slightly more performance/life and waste your money then 'brand name' lipos are the way to go.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:29 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
Certainly THERE ARE NO BETTER batteries for the price than Zippy's and Turnigy's.
If you want to have slightly more performance/life and waste your money then 'brand name' lipos are the way to go.
+1

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)