HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2001, 07:20 AM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Great planes elictrifly C-50 question.

i recently purchased this SC for my Kyosho T-33. The instructions say that the supplied Schotky Diode must be installed on the motor
or the SC could be damaged.I do not want to remove the motor from the fuselage, but it looks like that is the only way to install the diode.( not an easy task!) Do I really need to use the Diode or will the SC work OK without it?
Thanks
George
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2001, 08:35 AM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Yes you need the Diode. Solder it to the motor terminals with the bar on the diode at the + terminal. It will prevent current from the motor (when free wheeling) backing up into the ESC. Remember that a motor becomes a generator when it is driven -- by the prop when power is shut off and the motor free wheels.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Jul 06, 2001, 09:03 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You need the diode or your ESC will be toast. However, you can solder the diode to the output of the ESC, doesn't have to be across the motor (although that's usually best).
It's not to protect from "freewheeling" generated current, that's low voltage similar to that put in. The diode is there to absorb reverse EMF spikes that are generated as the comm. segments move under the brushes. These pulses can reach dozens or even 100's of volts, and will fry your ESC's FET's. They're small spikes, however, so the diode simply conducts them and dissipates the minimal power.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 06, 2001, 02:18 PM
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Dec 2000
455 Posts
Thank you very much fellows!That answers my question.
George
Airnut 2 is offline Find More Posts by Airnut 2
Old Jul 07, 2001, 12:04 AM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
As Andy said, it is better to attach it directly to the motor, but if this is a no-go, then you could just solder it to the wires by the ESC. Just don't get the ESC too hot!

Shawn
Eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247