HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
12 Posts
Discussion
going flybarless on a dh9104

i did some searching and looks like a fbl copter handles better than one with a flybar?? if i eliminated the flybar on my dh9104 will it work?
ive compared the parts from a blitzrc heli and the canopy or whaetever its called that holds the wings looks like it will all fit on my dh9104.
has anyone tried something similar with good results?
305coco is offline Find More Posts by 305coco
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:21 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Your research needs a lot of work. Flybarless helis have a flybarless control system with a 3 axis gyro to smooth movement and provide stability. To compensate for the functions provided by a flybar is not easy, or cheap. A good flybarless control system is well over $100. Not only doesn't the 9104 have a 3 axis gyro, it doesn't even have 3 functioning axis.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:04 PM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
622 Posts
it wont work..

as Balr say there is 3 axis gyro in flybarless system,
and it need full control on the cyclic i think.

9104 only have cyclic that move fwd/backward
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Aug 04, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined Jul 2011
12 Posts
thank you guys very much for the input. well that idea is out the window then
ive seen fbl helis like the blitz rcworks contra for about $139 so spending $100on this one is not worth it imo. im just now learning to fly thats why i bought a less expensive heli wich is very cheap to repair from crashes and at the same time i dont mind tinkering with it if its worth it of course, when i get better ill be upgrading to a better heli.

how about the guys that bring the weights on the flybar in closer to the center whats the purpose of that? just wondering...
Old Aug 04, 2011, 03:15 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
That's a basic, 4 channel FP heli, so the 3 axis gyro is much less complex than most. It's quite specialized in it's use and only works with Walkera electronics. That wouldn't be a terrible heli to advance to, but the tail drive system is poor and needs replacing.

Flybar weights are moved inboard to lessen the effects of the flybar. In the case of your dh9104, it's used to damp movement and improve stability. So, moving the weights inboard should improvement movement authority and weaken stability. On a heli with no aileron control, that might be a bad idea. It's hard to say exactly, because the swashplate configuration is weird.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Jul 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
That's a basic, 4 channel FP heli, so the 3 axis gyro is much less complex than most. It's quite specialized in it's use and only works with Walkera electronics. That wouldn't be a terrible heli to advance to, but the tail drive system is poor and needs replacing.

Flybar weights are moved inboard to lessen the effects of the flybar. In the case of your dh9104, it's used to damp movement and improve stability. So, moving the weights inboard should improvement movement authority and weaken stability. On a heli with no aileron control, that might be a bad idea. It's hard to say exactly, because the swashplate configuration is weird.
gotcha, thanks alot. can you recommend a nice fbl heli for less than $150? i dont want to spend much yet since im still learning and would hate to crash a expensive heli, also easy to find replacement parts would be a plus for those oops moments.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:24 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2011
78 Posts
Awww... and I was hoping to see how long that 9104 would stay in the air without the flybar...
Dont155 is offline Find More Posts by Dont155
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
gotcha, thanks alot. can you recommend a nice fbl heli for less than $150? i dont want to spend much yet since im still learning and would hate to crash a expensive heli, also easy to find replacement parts would be a plus for those oops moments.
The only cheap flybarless helis are made by Walkera and they are not for beginners. They are not that easy to fly, require significant upgrades and are not very durable. Your best bet is the Blade 120SR.... with a flybar.