HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:33 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
I'm using the slightly extended swash ball links. Did you find a better one? I should probably check your (re-)build log...

Just cleaned AMainHobbies out of their 0257MG gear sets and horns... I should be OK for another month of crashing!! Hopefully, though, this weekend I might get a V450D01 crash free weekend... we shall see!

I just hope that doesn't mean crashing the V200D03 or the tricopter...
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:20 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I'm using the slightly extended swash ball links. Did you find a better one? I should probably check your (re-)build log...

Just cleaned AMainHobbies out of their 0257MG gear sets and horns... I should be OK for another month of crashing!! Hopefully, though, this weekend I might get a V450D01 crash free weekend... we shall see!

I just hope that doesn't mean crashing the V200D03 or the tricopter...
Nope, still using the Blade 450 (long) links myself. The long swash links from the swashplate work great too, they are just too expensive for that purpose, especially if you loose one in a crash. If you happen to have a broken swash those get close to perfect geometry.

Here is something interesting for anyone in the US. I placed an order with Wowhobbies last weekend. The shipping cost was slightly more than usual and they no longer had insured shipping available though the USPS. Today i went to place another small order. The shipping that was now the default by wow was FedEx insured shipping for like $17 just for a $9 V120 swashplate and some canopies. But it doesn't end there. The only other shipping available was for FedEx uninsured for $15.50 or USPS Priority mail -UNINSURED for $13.70. I suppose it could just be wow's site screwing up. But i doubt it.

The USPS is going out of business basically. Don't worry though, economic collapse isn't on it's way or anything. (total sarcasm implied)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 29, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Quote:
QUOTE=IntegrityHndywrk;23391460]Ahhh!! I probably just didn't pay enough attention. I have soooo much to read though, some times i just have to skim. It was a while back too. Thats a pretty good job then. I only have this one possible flaw with it. It may or may not be an actual issue. But since these are electric servos and you burned out a tail servo already. You already understand this concept. Without going into too much detail. I'm sure you already understand the implications. Having a rigid pitch change rod with no flex in it will directly translate those "unseen" harmonics directly into the tail servo. As you are fully aware, the tail has a lot of constant stresses on it. Those stresses will also translate harder into the servo. It should not be a problem with that Align servo you have on there now. But the stock servos might end up shortening their life quicker because of it. But perhaps, a hard plastic/rubber damper somewhere in the middle might be a good idea to absorb transitional force? Not sure. I'm not an engineer. But having a damper that won't flex or move so much, but instead just dampen vibration and transitional force from pitch changes. Might be a good idea?
No worries.
I think the original tail servo was distroyed by the original wire pitch change rod vibrating wildly in flight.
The carbon fiber control rod can't flex in that way so that type of damage to the servo has been elliminated.
There is a major differance in the vibration felt at the tail servo from the use of the carbon rod, it's much, much less. It has to be a good thing for the longevity of the servo.
One should always look for and elliminate or reduce the sorce of a vibration first before changing the structure. But if the harmonic wont go away there are options like in this case going to a carbon push pull tube.
It's all a choise in what you will put up with. I could hear and see the wire pitch change shaft rattle in flight. With the carbon rod all I hear is main and tail rotor blades beating the air into submission.
I'll take a "hum" in the airframe because of secure componants over a "rattle" caused by loose componants in the airframe anyday.

Viking
A VIKING is online now Find More Posts by A VIKING
Last edited by A VIKING; Nov 29, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Yeah - rattles make me nervous... I start thinking 'which part is going to fly off and is it critical?', normally, a few milliseconds after this something darts off in a flash and if your lucky, you don't notice until you land or more usually, flying thing meets ground.
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
Yeah - rattles make me nervous... I start thinking 'which part is going to fly off and is it critical?', normally, a few milliseconds after this something darts off in a flash and if your lucky, you don't notice until you land or more usually, flying thing meets ground.

They are all critical.
When something non critical is thrown off, it will usually hit something critical on the way out, that's my luck anyway

Viking
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2011
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Nope, still using the Blade 450 (long) links myself. The long swash links from the swashplate work great too, they are just too expensive for that purpose, especially if you loose one in a crash. If you happen to have a broken swash those get close to perfect geometry.

Here is something interesting for anyone in the US. I placed an order with Wowhobbies last weekend. The shipping cost was slightly more than usual and they no longer had insured shipping available though the USPS. Today i went to place another small order. The shipping that was now the default by wow was FedEx insured shipping for like $17 just for a $9 V120 swashplate and some canopies. But it doesn't end there. The only other shipping available was for FedEx uninsured for $15.50 or USPS Priority mail -UNINSURED for $13.70. I suppose it could just be wow's site screwing up. But i doubt it.

The USPS is going out of business basically. Don't worry though, economic collapse isn't on it's way or anything. (total sarcasm implied)
I ran into this too the other day. Try giving them a call and they'll change the shipping on your order. They actually called me in my case and said that their site was having problems and did I really want fedex for my $20 in parts. If one of the WOW folks is watching maybe they can say if it's really a glitch or if they're planning on changing up their shipping options (please don't! USPS was FINE).

They ought to start a club, $50 a year for unlimited free slowpoke USPS shipping on everything. Call it say, WOWprime, give us a few random rewards for every purchase over $100 like some stickers, or an align ball cap, a work towel, you get my drift.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Wow

I made an order last week and after hitting the submit button realized I forgot something so I made another order which of course ment I would be paying for shipping twice.
They caught it on their own, I didn't call, and they shipped it all in one box and I guess they scanned my orders and from that, didn't see I had a battery tester so they threw one in the box for the $5.00 shipping that wasn't used.
They have sent many free bees to me, even though this was not for free, it was compensation.
That was nice, thank you WOW.

Viking
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
No worries.
I think the original tail servo was distroyed by the original wire pitch change rod vibrating wildly in flight.
The carbon fiber control rod can't flex in that way so that type of damage to the servo has been elliminated.
There is a major differance in the vibration felt at the tail servo from the use of the carbon rod, it's much, much less. It has to be a good thing for the longevity of the servo.
One should always look for and elliminate or reduce the sorce of a vibration first before changing the structure. But if the harmonic wont go away there are options like in this case going to a carbon push pull tube.
It's all a choise in what you will put up with. I could hear and see the wire pitch change shaft rattle in flight. With the carbon rod all I hear is main and tail rotor blades beating the air into submission.
I'll take a "hum" in the airframe because of secure componants over a "rattle" caused by loose componants in the airframe anyday.

Viking

For scale flight i would hunt down vibes. I'm a 3D guy so if i waste too much time hunting and tuning i'll just be pissed off when i crash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
I ran into this too the other day. Try giving them a call and they'll change the shipping on your order. They actually called me in my case and said that their site was having problems and did I really want fedex for my $20 in parts. If one of the WOW folks is watching maybe they can say if it's really a glitch or if they're planning on changing up their shipping options (please don't! USPS was FINE).

They ought to start a club, $50 a year for unlimited free slowpoke USPS shipping on everything. Call it say, WOWprime, give us a few random rewards for every purchase over $100 like some stickers, or an align ball cap, a work towel, you get my drift.
I spend SO MUCH MONEY on shipping because i often just order what i need right now. At least since buying the Gaui. But i suspect the problem is actually with the USPS... I edited that post and i also posted in the V450 thread. I had to cut off the long message because it was just too much. It was a total rant on the USPS not being responsible. Bunch of stuff about the federal reserve and how the US is screwed. I just couldn't in good conscience leave it up. But the fact is the USPS recently threatened to shut down and told congress they can't afford to pay their employees and current retired or whatever. So they asked for more money from Congress.. I suspect they didn't get it. Because i ordered from two other places this weekend as well. One of them a 6S pack for my Gaui from Hobby king. They STILL have not shipped it yet. It's been 4 days already. I'm pretty damn pissed about that. I wanted that battery for the weekend you bastards! Oh well. Thats all on them though, it's just sitting in the warehouse.

Quote:
I made an order last week and after hitting the submit button realized I forgot something so I made another order which of course ment I would be paying for shipping twice.
They caught it on their own, I didn't call, and they shipped it all in one box and I guess they scanned my orders and from that, didn't see I had a battery tester so they threw one in the box for the $5.00 shipping that wasn't used.
They have sent many free bees to me, even though this was not for free, it was compensation.
That was nice, thank you WOW.

Viking
I agree totally. I have had the EXACT same experience recently. Even though i have about 5 of those battery testers. I can always use more. I loose the things like crazy. Wow has done alright by me. I think they MAY make a few dollars on shipping. But you can't call it profit. More like padding for margin of error. Which is fine by me because i do it too in my business endeavors. So yes, Thank you wow! but please get this shipping issue sorted. I NEED TO MAKE ANOTHER ORDER. I prefer not to order from hong kong with 2 weeks to wait. But Terrance ships quickly and no matter what it's only $5.. I put in a $300 order with him once... He HAD to loose money on shipping, i think. $5... So Thank you Terrance as well who also goes WAY above and beyond to communicate about out of stock items, mistakes. PLUS if you order big enough he sends you free stuff! These have been my favorite two distributors for Walkera stuff. With Helidirect padding orders in between because sometimes they just had cheaper prices, but they hardly ever had Walkera parts in stock all the time.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Stick Time with the V200

Flew 36 flights over the last three days for a combined total of 3 flight hours.
CHA CHING.
Practice practice, I consider myself a solid 1.5D flyer now.
Being a solid 3D flyer is only, well, closer than it was a year ago when I started flying RC helicopters.

Viking
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
777 Posts
Quote:
Flew 36 flights over the last three days for a combined total of 3 flight hours.
CHA CHING.
Being a solid 3D flyer is only, well, closer than it was a year ago when I started flying RC helicopters.

Viking
Wow, that's really putting in some work! Sounds like you've finally got your V200 sorted!

So when does your real 250 arrive?

Edit: Just caught this over at the masterCP thread: http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=11348 MG walkera servos? looks like they ought to fit the V200.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
CHA CHING.
Being a solid 3D flyer is only, well, closer than it was a year ago.

Viking
Excellent. I'm 93 flights into mine with no incidents since purchase. I've never had close to that many crash-free flights with my V120D02S. One thing that helps is the additional altitude the size of the V200 affords for flips and rolls. It's so much easier to know its orientation when high up than a V120. When things go awry, there's a bit more time to correct, though with that headspeed, she can scoot toward the ground a lot faster than a V120 ever could.

My crash time is fast approaching though - I'm practicing (or at least trying to) inverted hovering with the V120D02S. You wouldn't believe how many main gears and feathering shafts I'm going through with that one. No less than six spare main gears in my luggage after all my visits to WOW this week. Eventually, it will be the V200's turn to go upside down - lord help her...
OrbitalGolem is online now Find More Posts by OrbitalGolem
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that's really putting in some work! Sounds like you've finally got your V200 sorted!

Edit: Just caught this over at the masterCP thread: http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=11348 MG walkera servos? looks like they ought to fit the V200.
Now, now Tucson - our V200D03 is just a decent RX short of a real 250.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an AR2700BX for one of the spares. Sheer curiosity at this point...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Quote:

The V200 is flying very smooth and not one loose screw!
The align 250 was to be deliverd today but now I see the FedEx site says they got tired and it will be deliverd Monday after they catch a nap.

I'll just keep flying.

Viking
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalGolem View Post
Excellent. I'm 93 flights into mine with no incidents since purchase. I've never had close to that many crash-free flights with my V120D02S. One thing that helps is the additional altitude the size of the V200 affords for flips and rolls. It's so much easier to know its orientation when high up than a V120. When things go awry, there's a bit more time to correct, though with that headspeed, she can scoot toward the ground a lot faster than a V120 ever could.

My crash time is fast approaching though - I'm practicing (or at least trying to) inverted hovering with the V120D02S. You wouldn't believe how many main gears and feathering shafts I'm going through with that one. No less than six spare main gears in my luggage after all my visits to WOW this week. Eventually, it will be the V200's turn to go upside down - lord help her...

I had built a set of training gear out of ping pong balls and bamboo knitting needles that allowed my M120 to be mounted inverted in the gear, really helped out in my transition to inverted flight. I think they took the M120 site down but here are some photos. I was very proud of it, you couldn't break anything on the helicopter if you rolled it over. It is then when I discovered that you could use it right side up for training also.
Cheap to build, saves lots of money.

Viking
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
I had built a set of training gear out of ping pong balls and bamboo knitting needles that allowed my M120 to be mounted inverted in the gear, really helped out in my transition to inverted flight. I think they took the M120 site down but here are some photos. I was very proud of it, you couldn't break anything on the helicopter if you rolled it over. It is then when I discovered that you could use it right side up for training also.
Cheap to build, saves lots of money.

Viking
Now that's Yankee ingenuity at work. Did the weight of the assembly affect the performance significantly? As well as I can invert in Phoenix (using the Align 250 3GX model), that stick work doesn't always translate to reality with a V120.

Half seriously, how much would you want for it?