HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:33 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix Demo, DX6i, and audio cable

I've only ever previously messed with FMS and a game controller. I played with Phoenix in a hobby store and liked it quite a bit. I want to try it out on one of my 2 computers to see if it will run.

I recently got my new DX6i working with FMS through the soundcard. I want to know if I could do the same soundcard interface with the demo download of Phoenix to test it out. Computer at home is quite old and work laptop isn't the greatest. I want to make sure it will work.

Thanks...
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:11 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,454 Posts
No. Phoenix needs its own interface to work (that's all that stops unscupulous people from ripping it off).

AFAIK the demo has no facility to use any sort of controller but it will at at least tell you how well the program runs on your computer(s).

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:33 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Just finished downloading the demo and it wasn't a demo of the program at all. It was an interactive movie, useless.

I come from the gaming world (sim racing), I'm use to having the demo be a limited version either in content or time of the actual program. So, to see if the program will run, the demo of Phoenix was absolutely useless.

Spec wise, looks like I could probably run it in lower graphics (story of my life with computers) but then again, I never trust "recommended specs" from a software company. May have to ask at the shop I frequent if it is returnable. Usually not with software, but this isn't a normal store and it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:48 PM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Just finished downloading the demo and it wasn't a demo of the program at all. It was an interactive movie, useless.

I come from the gaming world (sim racing), I'm use to having the demo be a limited version either in content or time of the actual program. So, to see if the program will run, the demo of Phoenix was absolutely useless.

Spec wise, looks like I could probably run it in lower graphics (story of my life with computers) but then again, I never trust "recommended specs" from a software company. May have to ask at the shop I frequent if it is returnable. Usually not with software, but this isn't a normal store and it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Purpose of the demo is to see if your system is powerful enough to run the program, which answers your question regarding whether it is up to spec.

Software is usually not returnable because people want to copy them.
Azn_Ace is offline Find More Posts by Azn_Ace
Old Aug 04, 2011, 06:45 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_Ace View Post
Purpose of the demo is to see if your system is powerful enough to run the program, which answers your question regarding whether it is up to spec.
Watching a saved replay even when it uses the same graphics and physics engine used in the actual program isn't even remotely close to actually using the program when it comes down to whether your hardware can run it or not.

Example, I use to sim race using Live for Speed. I could watch a 32 grid replay all day long without problems at 80ish FPS, but start a session of actual gameplay with 32 cars and framerates drop to complete unusable stuttering 15 FPS.

Though I did see a video on youtube of someone flying Phoenix on a $300 netbook. If that would work, I imagine my 6 year old computer should be able to run it as well. Just not willing to try it for $130 (I had previously thought the sim only was $80....)
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:02 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,893 Posts
The Phoenix sim is about $100 without the DX5e Tx., and around $80 used from the Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) forum.

The reason why the frame rate drops game lags with multiplayer online games is because you are connected with 31 other players with different connection speeds. The players with lower connection speeds (higher ping) will slow down the game play for everyone. This is different from testing your computer's hardware.

If the demo runs ok on your computer, the real program should work ok for you.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Sep 01, 2011 at 02:36 AM. Reason: added "game lags"
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:49 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Definitely check the for sale section, there were about 3 in there last weekend when I was looking for FSOne. Just make sure to get the newest version and make sure it has the key/connection adapter device.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:58 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
The Phoenix sim is about $100 without the DX5e Tx., and around $80 used from the Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) forum.

The reason why the frame rate drops with multiplayer online games is because you are connected with 31 other players with different connection speeds. The players with lower connection speeds (higher ping) will slow down the game play for everyone. This is different from testing your computer's hardware.

If the demo runs ok on your computer, the real program should work ok for you.
umm, i hate to bring up a couple week old thread, but someone having a high ping will not have ANYTHING to do with dropping everyone else's frame rates. they'll stutter all over the race track (or the map/site) and that's about it.

the reason the game slows down is all the data that was prerecorded in the replay is no longer prerecorded. instead it has to be computated as you play/sim

but phoenix takes very little resources. if you can play LFS 2, you'll have no problem with these software.
razorseal is offline Find More Posts by razorseal
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:34 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,893 Posts
OK... I stand correctly. Thank you. I've edited my post to reflect the correction.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:02 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,181 Posts
Question about the Phoenix RC3 Demo?

Hi folks. I just installed the demo of Phoenix RC ver. 3, and I want to make sure what I saw is actually what I was supposed to see, since the demo is not at all interactive.

In order to "run" it, for some strange reason my PC (Windows 7x64 home premium, GTX460, 8GB memory, Core i7-860, DX11, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition - triple LCD displays) does not display the mouse pointer when the opening screen is showing. I had to resort to trickery to position the mouse pointer using ALT+TAB on the desktop to where the Start button was going to be, then ALT+TAB back and click the mouse (never seeing a pointer) which started the demo. Phoenix ran, but since I did not have my TX connected at the time, at first I saw what seemed to be a typically wild, out-of-control heli all over the screen (like one would see in other simulators if the TX were not connected. When it never actually crashed after several seconds, I finally realized someone had apparently been in control and this was a "video" of some wild thrashing of the heli around the area. (I fly scale.)

As near as I could tell there was no issue with the hardware or fps during the video. But I just wanted to make sure it was the intent of the vendors to show the above with their demo, before I consider a purchase.

I have a Dx6i TX which I use to fly my helis. Any comments on how well it will or will not work with Phoenix are welcome. I am specifically interested in getting a sim that will allow me to use CCPM 120 degree swash programming in the model used in the TX, so I can experiment with those settings in a simulator environment. I do have a USB cable (JR model) which allows it to work on my PCs with other (freeware) sims, but I get the impression reading online that Phoenix comes with a special cable of its own to plug into the TX? I guess that means I can't just buy Phoenix online then, right? I have to order it in a retail box?
Zoandar is online now Find More Posts by Zoandar