HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:36 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
Discussion
Blade mCPX Blade Tracking

I searched other threads and saw some posts about blade tracking on the mCPX, but the info was somewhat sparse. I felt a thread dedicated to it was appropriate. Do you have any suggestions on how to correct the blade tracking?

I read that some people just bent the blades. Is that the general concensus on this topic since it's FBL and there's no linkage adjustment? How do you adjust blade tracking on larger FBL helis that the blades can't be bent?
Amichai is offline Find More Posts by Amichai
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:59 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
Wear Eye protection

Fold the blades back at 1/2 stick/zero degrees pitch (50%) and they should be line up even and flat, here is a pic to get a visual. You do this by getting the swash level at the center of travel. Then, if you hold the heli steady in your hands you can spin up the main blades and track, (have to hold the heli super steady, no coffee hands ) Finally, you can turn a link or 2 to get it dead on if its not perfect. IMO Dont bend blades on a CP, for FP its ok.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:35 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,639 Posts
If your blades are not tracking either your replacement kbdd blades have gone banana shaped (if you own some), or your feathering shaft is bent...my 2c
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Fold the blades back at 1/2 stick/zero degrees pitch (50%) and they should be line up even and flat, here is a pic to get a visual. You do this by getting the swash level at the center of travel. Then, if you hold the heli steady in your hands you can spin up the main blades and track, (have to hold the heli super steady, no coffee hands ) Finally, you can turn a link or 2 to get it dead on if its not perfect. IMO Dont bend blades on a CP, for FP its ok.
This advice would work fine if this particular heli had adjustable links, but it doesn't. I think I'll investigate the feathering shaft.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
No it doesnt have adjustable links, but it does have a swashplate and that has to be level. If the FS is bent thats another story, all things being equal, folding the blades back is how its done on the larger FBL heli's also. Good luck & your welcome BTW if you tried to bend the blades, then you might have bent the FS.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
I appreciate your help HeliFlyer711. I'm pretty sure the swash is good cause I can hover it hands off. The blades are only about 1mm out of track so I may just being too particular about it.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,221 Posts
I hear you & nothing wrong with being particular, particular gets you the best flying heli IME - its the perfect hobby for the obsessive

If the swash is level visually, then maybe a turn on one of the 3 adjustable swash links might get you better.
There are tools for this (FBL), a datum tool, and a digital bevel box. Unfortunanly they dont make them in the micro size or that will fit the mcp-x.
I suppose the guy that designs a micro bevel box that wont weigh the blades down would probably sell a few, but in reality it isnt as critical of a measurement as it is on the larger heli's
With the MCP-x and its ~120mm per blade length, the fold back method seems to work easiest for zero.

Once you get zero, then you might be interested in this as a FBL pitch guage for the MCP-X;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409275
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Once you get zero, then you might be interested in this as a FBL pitch guage for the MCP-X;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409275
That thread hurt my head Good info & actually very interesting though. I can't believe I got my degree in computer science with my aversion to math!
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:43 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
bent linkages can mess up tracking as they get shorter when they bend. it threw off my tracking until I replaced them
if it tracks well on low throttle but doesnt track with high throttle then it's the pitch (links are bent). if it doesnt track with low throttle then it's the feathering shaft
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro