HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:37 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
Build Log
Stevens AeroModel 1923 DH-53 Hummingbird 100 for Micro DSM2 electronics "New Kit" **

Hi Guys,
Ok on to the new Stevens Aeromodel 1923 DH.53 Scale Hummingbird Build
Wingspan is 27"
Flying Weight 2.3 oz.
controls Ch. RET
Designed for 2.4 Specktrum DSM2 Rec/Servo combo unit.
www.stevensaero.com
I really like De-havilland Airplanes and I know you guys in England will like this
Airplane for sure!
All Laser cut, very good build photos and writen instructions, with computer Drawn Plans. Come's with hardware, wheels, Twin motor. This is a very "cool looking" low wing Airplane!!
I started on it today, and almost have the fuselage done Here are some photos
of where I am at. More later Please make sure you use the very small applicator Tips!! Or you will become a part
of the Airplane
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Last edited by Joe Pierson; Aug 02, 2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added text
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 08:49 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,140 Posts
Joe,

Great choice, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Rob
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:24 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
Hi Rob P,
Thank you, its really fun to build Scale, fly it any where goes togather so nice
Joe
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:33 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
DH-53 Fuselage is done

Hi Guys,
I finished the DH-53 Fuselage this morning. All sanded nice and smooth! Again
be sure and use the very small CA tips. And follow the instructions and be careful
when pushing the parts togeather! and I sand all of the edges of all parts!! First!
Here is what it looks like! I did add a Dash Pannel. On to building the tail, Rudder,Elevator.
Joe
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:46 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
Looking good - the dash is a nice touch.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Aug 04, 2011, 02:08 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
DH-53 Rudder and Elevator done

Hi Guys,
I finished building the rudder and Elevator this morning sanded and ready for covering, nice and light! Starting to look like a Airplane Will start the wing
next.You know its a De- Havilland, by the shape of the rudder
Joe
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:24 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
DH-53 wing is done :)

Hi Guys,
I started building the wing today, here is where I am at now Wing is done, Very little sanding to do just the leading edge! Just have the landing gear wing struts and the dummy Engine Cylinder's to go It does not take a long time to build one of these Micro Airplanes, goes fast and that makes it even more fun!!!
Joe
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:40 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,323 Posts
What's with all those laminations up front? Seems like just added weight. The turtledeck and cowl could have been sheeted.

Do not get me wrong, Stevensaero does make mighty nice airplanes, but I'd like to see lighter weight construction for those planes that are indoor-capable. Matbe incorporate some foam pieces to sub for the balsa.

My S-Pou is j-u-u-s-t able to stay off the walls in our small single court gym. The White monoplane - nope!!
356Jim is online now Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:42 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
The laminations in the nose are there as it wasn't possible to get the compound curves purely out of sheet. The short nose moment demands some weight to properly CG thus the laminations worked out. The lighter construction in the rear of the model and lack of a sheeted rear deck is again to assist with the model's CG.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:02 PM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
My Piet seemed it didn't have enough weight in the nose I just moved the battery forward
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Last edited by Micro Budget; Aug 05, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:28 PM
Chillicothe, OH
Joined Mar 2008
258 Posts
Might be able to hollow out the nose section and then go with a 1s-240 cell to balance back with more flight time. I recently purchased the Piet and plan to figure out a way to get the larger bat in there. They look like great little planes.
jwman is offline Find More Posts by jwman
Last edited by jwman; Aug 05, 2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: sp
Old Aug 06, 2011, 04:03 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwman View Post
Might be able to hollow out the nose section and then go with a 1s-240 cell to balance back with more flight time. I recently purchased the Piet and plan to figure out a way to get the larger bat in there. They look like great little planes.
yeah this is with a hyp 240 mounted under the cowl. you can see its location in the beginning of my first vid on my pietenpol thread
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:14 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,744 Posts
DH-53 Landing gear is done

Hi Guys,
I finished the landing gear and and wing Struts today. All up weight as you see it is 1.4 oz. !! Really More later on! Now adding all of the detailing
will make this Airplane! Building all Balsa airplanes this light is unreal, and thanks to "Bill" at AeroModels for a Great designed kit And For me the Made in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the only way to go!!!!!! And as a Vet. its great to suport the USA!Joe
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:34 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Hi Guys,
I finished the landing gear and and wing Struts today. All up weight as you see it is 1.4 oz. !! Really More later on! Now adding all of the detailing
will make this Airplane! Building all Balsa airplanes this light is unreal, and thanks to "Bill" at AeroModels for a Great designed kit And For me the Made in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the only way to go!!!!!! And as a Vet. its great to suport the USA!Joe
This looks like just the ticket for me to get back into building. I used to do a fair bit of plan building and kit bashing a few years back, but unfortunately multiple sclerosis has wrecked several of my limbs' function...I'm left handed and that hand is maybe at 10% function.

Still, with some patience and new workaround methods I might be able to relearn my skills. This looks like the winter build for me, and at 27" span I think it'd be perfect covered in Doculam (I have a lifetime supply roll I bought in my healthier days over half a decade ago) and airbrushed with a nice acrylic paint.

I've been delighted to fly the new breed of RTF foam planes but it'd be wonderful to breathe some balsa dust again...and this ship would be perfect for the only flying site I can get to at the moment, a largish parking lot within power wheelchair range. I suspect this will be even easier to manage at that lot than my PZ UM T-28, HZ Champ and Flyzone Albatros are.

One question, could you provide a bit more info on your instrument panel? Looks like 3 layers of card stock but I'm interested.

Fine looking build, thanks for posting!
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:53 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
cant wait to see how this flies. you gotta get your piet flying soon! have you tried it yet? will that wood prop work or is it just for looks? if it is functional where can i find some?