HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:59 PM
"I'd rather be flying..."
United States, SC, Beaufort
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Just placed an order for a light set for my Hobbyzone Champ that is being retrofitted with an AR6400...and brushless! Can't wait to have a night ship to fly out of my neighborhood for the coming winter months...

Thanks,
Pete
Pete, I sent you an e-mail; let me know if you want custom wire lengths or a stock kit - at no extra cost. LCS

LtColSpit is offline Find More Posts by LtColSpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
I'd be interested in a set for my HZ Champ.

I like my Night Vapor, but the wind grounds it more times than not.

Just letting you know that there is demand for such a critter.

Glad you got through Irene OK.
Roo_ster,

Problem is the HZ Champ doesn't have a spare port to plug the light kit into it. A "Y" connector could be used but I could not find reasonably priced connectors - it would drive the cost up too much. if folks want to make their own "Y" connector for the battery and light kit, I will surely make a light kit at the normal cost - $15 for 4-LED kits and $18 for 5-LED kits (2S, or 1S with 200+mah LiPo).

Regrets I can't accomodate your wishes.

Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
SFDS switchable light kit

"Coming Soon" demo video of SFDS switched lighting kit for 2S UMx's. Expect release within 2 weeks. Kits will only be available for 2S kits - initially the Umx Beast and UMx Sbach 342; need to work on fitting the PCB into the already cramped UM Stryker electronics bay. I am dying to go fly but the winds are howling throughout the neighborhood right now - boo!

SFDS Switchable light kit (0 min 59 sec)

Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:23 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Glad you're back online now, I just ordered a Stryker kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColSpit View Post
"Coming Soon" demo video of SFDS switched lighting kit for 2S UMx's.
This is just my opinion for whatever it's worth, but I don't see the point in on/ off light control. The power draw on LED kits is so low that it doesn't affect flight time, so on my lighted planes I just fly with the lights on all the time. Now I could maybe see controlling some of the lights, so for example you could have the two forward-facing white lights switched so that it looks like landing lights turning on/ off.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,096 Posts
Quote:
"Coming Soon" demo video of SFDS switched lighting kit for 2S UMx's. Expect release within 2 weeks. Kits will only be available for 2S kits - initially the Umx Beast and UMx Sbach 342; need to work on fitting the PCB into the already cramped UM Stryker electronics bay. I am dying to go fly but the winds are howling throughout the neighborhood right now - boo!

http://vimeo.com/28690794

Is this something that can be added to an existing kit? (pug and play kinda thing?)

And the 15 for the 4 light kit sounds good! I will let you know when my Stryker gets here

Also, I don't use paypal Do I have another way of paying for it?
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:01 AM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
608 Posts
Quote:
Roo_ster,

Problem is the HZ Champ doesn't have a spare port to plug the light kit into it. A "Y" connector could be used but I could not find reasonably priced connectors - it would drive the cost up too much. if folks want to make their own "Y" connector for the battery and light kit, I will surely make a light kit at the normal cost - $15 for 4-LED kits and $18 for 5-LED kits (2S, or 1S with 200+mah LiPo).

Regrets I can't accomodate your wishes.
I hear ya, about those costs. By "Y-connector," I assume you mean a Y off of the battery to feed both model and lights?

I might craft one of those and give you a holler. Let me get the connector hardware straight:
* Y-tail to battery
- PZ UM battery connector
- male
* One of the Y-arms
- PZ UM Batt connector
- female
* Other Y-arm
- <some_connector> to SF light kit (what sort of connector)
- PZ UM batt female connector would be ideal, from a user POV
Thanks for your time.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:48 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
I hear ya, about those costs. By "Y-connector," I assume you mean a Y off of the battery to feed both model and lights?
Right, that's how the Tiny Brite Lights sets are for the planes & helis that don't have a spare RX port to plug into. The "Y" consists of 2 connectors- one plugs into the RX and the other becomes the new battery plug. The light set is hardwired to one of the connectors.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:24 AM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Glad you're back online now, I just ordered a Stryker kit

This is just my opinion for whatever it's worth, but I don't see the point in on/ off light control. The power draw on LED kits is so low that it doesn't affect flight time, so on my lighted planes I just fly with the lights on all the time. Now I could maybe see controlling some of the lights, so for example you could have the two forward-facing white lights switched so that it looks like landing lights turning on/ off.
Tres I agree re: the switch and minimal draw. But I have a ton of folks asking for a switched version. I might offer a version that has full time Nav lights and switchable landing lights if there is demand. Just trying to meet the demands of my customers. Thanks for the order and input.

Jeffrey aka LCS
Old Sep 07, 2011, 02:00 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
608 Posts
Quote:

I might craft one of those and give you a holler. Let me get the connector hardware straight:
* Y-tail to battery
- PZ UM battery connector
- male
* One of the Y-arms
- PZ UM Batt connector
- female
* Other Y-arm
- Nano-JST to SF light kit
- PZ UM batt female connector would be ideal, from a user POV
Thanks for your time.
Read through the web site and it looks like your lights use the Nano-JST.

Male or female? (I don't own any 4-ch UM planes to check.)
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Read through the web site and it looks like your lights use the Nano-JST.

Male or female? (I don't own any 4-ch UM planes to check.)
You would need a Female Nano-JST. 'RC Connectors' would be a good web resource.

Please > e-mail me< and move the discussion off-line. It will be a lot easier as I have an option or two to offer you...

Regards, Jeffrey

sfdesignsolutions@embarqmail.com
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:04 PM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
Is this something that can be added to an existing kit? (plug and play kinda thing?)
If you want to carefully pull the heat shrink and do some soldering under a magnifying lamp, it 'could' be done; no guarantees though, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
And the 15 for the 4 light kit sounds good! I will let you know when my Stryker gets here Also, I don't use paypal Do I have another way of paying for it?
Please >e-mail me< as I have an offer for you if interested...

Thanks, Jeffrey
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:00 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
At midnight last night I realized I hadn't checked the mail yet, went out and there was my light set Thanks for the quick shipping! It took me 30 to 45 minutes to install it, I really appreciate the fact that the wires are exactly the right length, it makes installation much easier than the TBL sets (since the TBL sets are generic, there's a lot of excess wiring that has to be coiled up and tucked away somewhere, not an easy thing to do on these micros). I did something that might help others on the Stryker installation- it's kind of tricky to fish the lights down through the holes in the fuse so I used a hemostat with curved ends and inserted the ends through the hole, then opened them enough to grab the LED and then pulled the LED through. I did the same thing at the fins, instead of cutting a slot all the way through them I made a small hole near the wing and used the hemostat again. I used packing tape to secure the wiring as it sticks great to foam and is all but invisible once in place. I lay a piece on my cutting pad and use an Exacto to cut it into small squares, then pull the squares up with the Exacto and apply them, then burnish them down with a toothpick. The lights look great and are quite a bit brighter than the TBL sets, they're even visible in daylight (particularly the blue LED on the rear). I don't think the lighting is adequate for night flying (although I haven't tried it yet), the airframe really needs to be lighted for that. But it should be great for dusk flying. The whole set is 1.6 grams and it made no noticeable difference in flying or in run time. All in all a great set
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I don't think the lighting is adequate for night flying (although I haven't tried it yet), the airframe really needs to be lighted for that. But it should be great for dusk flying. The whole set is 1.6 grams and it made no noticeable difference in flying or in run time. All in all a great set
Tres, glad you like them and thanks for the kind words. I fly all of the UMx's in the dark after sunset/dusk - I fly with reference to the lights and not via a lighted airframe. It's not that hard and quite enjoyable. My 8 year old has the UMx Trojan and Mossie well in hand when flying at night (dark conditions) and it is actually making him a better pilot. He isn't ready for night ops with the UMx Beast, Stryker or Sbach by any stretch, but can handle all of the 1S warbirds. I look forward to more reports! LCS
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
UMx Pole Cat lighting kits now available!

UMx Pole Cat light kits are now available! Installation instructions are also available for download. This is a 4-LED kit and for those that desire, alternate tail light colors are available (red, white, blue, green) at no extra charge. Price remains the same at $15 shipped within the Continental US and $23 shipped Internationally.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:39 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Tres, glad you like them and thanks for the kind words. I fly all of the UMx's in the dark after sunset/dusk - I fly with reference to the lights and not via a lighted airframe.
I didn't mean to imply that it couldn't be done, it can be, but keeping track of the orientation is challenging. Especially with an aerobatic plane. The issue with perimeter lighting is you don't see all the lights at once because the airframe blocks the view to some of them in a given orientation. Especially in aerobatics, the lights come into and out of view so much that it's hard to tell what it's doing. Shining lights onto the airframe is better for orientation in total darkness, and that is something that can be done with a kit like this as well. One of the easiest night flyers I've had was a Tiger Moth that only had 3 lights on it- one shining up under each wing and another on the tail. The wing was white underneath and was thin enough to where the light shined through the top as well, so it basically made the wings and tail glow. Anyway, for those who want to fly in total darkness they may want to look at shining the lights onto the plane versus mounting them around the perimeter. These kits have plenty of wire length to do that.

I flew the Stryker last night at dusk and it looked great, boomerangs with the lights look crazy