Old Aug 04, 2011, 05:39 PM
"I'd rather be flying..."
United States, SC, Beaufort
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
AR6400LBL 2S with Mossie Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
kevin- Not sure if you thought of this but the Sbach runs on 2s and the Mosquito runs on 1s... I didnt read over the product description... but make sure they can handle the extra voltage before you plug them in and hear the sizzle.
The AR6400 (1S set-up) puts out voltage pretty much mirroring the LiPo output (3.7-4.2 volts) and the AR6400LBL (2s set-up) churns out ~4.3 volts. The 5 LED kit "should" be OK but please use a multi-meter and verify the voltages AT the BASE of the LED. Let me know the voltages so I can verify whether or not the set-up will be OK.

LtColSpit is offline Find More Posts by LtColSpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
... what do you mean turn it on its side? How does that help? (I am worried about moving the ends to often, how likely are the wires to break off?

A couple pix to try and better depict the LED on its side, facing aft vice lying flat. The light projection will be aft, vice straight down thus improving the aft viewing angle - trust me?, it works. I use small needle nose pliers to gently bend the wires and the wires shoudn't break. I hope this helps.

Last edited by LtColSpit; Aug 04, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
I'd like to address some questions and comments:

1. Why non-scale lighting?
2. Will you offer flashing lights?
3. Will you offer a switchable light kit?

1. As mentioned above, I am a full scale pilot and understand that the light kits don't conform to "aviation standards" - they were never meant to. I tested a few variations of the lights and from my perspective, a blue tail light provided the best orientation to the pilot on the ground. However, what color LED I solder at the end of the wire is inconsequential to me. If a customer wants a particular combination of red, white, blue or green LED's, let me know and I will gladly accommodate - it is easy and there is no additional cost. This has been depicted on the SFDS website.

2. I plan on offering flashing lights for the purist or the enthusiast who wants an anti-collision light, simulated machine guns on their warbird, etc. But finding the time to develop and test a simple micro PCB requires more free time that I currently have. There was a time when I would have said sleep is over-rated, or 'I can sleep when I'm dead'. Now I'm a believer that sleep is not over-rated! Lol...

3. I would like to offer switchable light kits - a simple on/off via the spare AR6400 servo port and programmable transmitter switch. But 1. the light kits really don't over-tax the 1S LiPo nor diminish flight time, and 2. it's not as easy as plugging a 3-wire (+/-/signal) light kit into a servo port. The light kit needs a way to "talk" to the AR6400. You can modify an old micro servo, and it works - but that's big<ger> and heavier and I don't have a stock pile of old micro servos lying around to meet the demand. Finding a light, low cost micro PCB or servo pot to interact with the AR6400 has been challenging. If someone has any suggestions, feel free to educate me - I will listen (and send you a free kit or two if I use the idea!). But #2 and #3 above will do things - increase the weight and definitely increase the price.

As for kits for park flyers? That's a possibility once I can get a flashing kit on the market. A switchable kit may be more in tune with a larger park flyer kit, we'll see. Thanks again for the support and feel free to keep sending in comments and suggestions - I may be an old<er>, retired Marine, but contrary to my wife, I will listen and do my best to meet the demands of the customer!

Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:59 AM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
Greetings everyone! Based on some of the questions and comments received, I thought I would start with a little background about myself, SFDS, and where I would like to go in the future...

I started flying at a local airport in Central CT a year before I learned to drive. About the same time, I was given a Sig Kadet, which started my adventure in R/C airplanes. Throughout the years I've dabbled in control line, racing R/C tunnel hulls, and flown just about every type of flying thing except gliders (unless the FF balsa Testors kit counts). Up until last weekend at our night fun fly, "flying wings" were on my "No Fly" list, but a friend asked if I wanted to fly his Rite-Wing IYF night flyer, and I couldn't refuse. My true passion in R/C is aerobatics and 3D; with my main focus lately on teaching my 6 and 8 year old boys how to fly R/C. It's amazing how fast those little fingers and minds learn! My 8 year old is about a year or two from grabbing a transmitter out of my hands and telling me "Dad let me show you how to do it!".

I spent the past 23 years as a pilot in the US Marine Corps until my retirement in March 2009. Throughout my career I logged nearly 3000 hours in A-6 Intruders, the F/A-18 Hornet, and instructing in the T-45 Goshawk. I am currently an Aviation Analyst for the Marine Corps and enjoy working with Marines every day. A few (4?) months ago a friend asked if I would like to fly a developmental biplane he designed and seeing I'm not one that usually says "no" when asked if I want to fly a new model, I jumped at the opportunity. One day while flying it at dusk, I started thinking how cool it would be to put a night lighting kit on it. I found a company that offered lights but had problems ordering kits.

With my sons learning to fly, we have a Night Vapor, which to this point was the limit of my "lighted" night flying experience. I liked the type of lights installed on the Night Vapor much better than the LED kits that were being offered for ultra micro's. I began my research and education in LED's and started tinkering with light kit designs. I built a beta light kit and installed it on my buddies developmental Bipester. My buddy quickly wanted a kit, a friend, a brother, and so on. I started showing off the lighted Bipester and UMx T-28 kits and the response at our local club field was overwhelming. Locally, I install the kits for the club members but with the price of S&H, I don't offer that to non-local customers. With the influx of interest, I decided to develop kits for many of the PZ/E-flite UMx airplanes.... and that was how SFDS came into existence....
Last edited by LtColSpit; Aug 06, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 01:18 PM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
LtColSpit nice work, thats great that you can choose the color. here's a video the SFDS lights i got yesterday in the mail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi66n...TJZ-k&index=24

I have a night vapor and some tiny brite lights laying around also. I'm not too sure where the TBL's are because one of the lights burnt out and i haven't used them since. I'll go look for them and try to make a comparison video later
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:38 PM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
SFDS vs TBL vs Night Vapor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v7LwB7vcDM
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Aug 07, 2011, 02:21 AM
Joined Mar 2006
456 Posts
Great initiative, at last an alternative to TBL! (which has great products, but their CS seems to be non existent nowadays...)

I'll be ordering some kits from you as soon as you have lights for the UM Stryker available!
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Aug 07, 2011, 07:12 AM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
LtColSpit, first of all, thank you for your service to our country. You may consider checking around in the DIY Electronics forum, I believe a few folks have already figured out the switchable and blinking light thing. The servo output is a simple PWM signal and you can get programming kits to program your own chips. If you don't have any electronics background I'm sure you can get schematics. I'm sure someone over there would be happy to give you the computer code too, if you're not a programmer.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:32 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtColSpit View Post
The AR6400 (1S set-up) puts out voltage pretty much mirroring the LiPo output (3.7-4.2 volts) and the AR6400LBL (2s set-up) churns out ~4.3 volts. The 5 LED kit "should" be OK but please use a multi-meter and verify the voltages AT the BASE of the LED. Let me know the voltages so I can verify whether or not the set-up will be OK.

My voltage stayed at 4.2-4.3 volts on 2S....As an electronic tech I tested the outputs and the 1/10th of a volt is not noticed...I have about 20 flights on the Sbach and no degredation of light output...If you slightly overdrive an LED it will actually burn a little more dimly before its life is cut short...There is a voltage regulator to the servo outputs on the bricks that use 2S as Eflite uses the same servos in various 1S/2S planes...The servos are definately not seeing the 2S voltage!!!!..

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Aug 09, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:13 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Couldn't you use the x-port channel and some kind of relay to do some on/off lights with the gear switch?
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:53 AM
Joined Mar 2004
259 Posts
I currently use the X-port for these kits and trying to develop a switch and flashing lights. Currently, no anticipated date when either will be available. LCS
Last edited by LtColSpit; Aug 16, 2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: update info
Old Aug 14, 2011, 02:33 AM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,003 Posts
Just got these installed and tested on my Beast. Pretty straight forward install...just a little care is needed working with a micro foam aircraft
I can say they are bright ! Got 3 flights in around 1am in the local highschool parking lot. Super easy to see....just had to focus a little more with orientation. I haven't done any night flying in several years.
Super fast shipping, good instructions...excellent product. Fine job Colonel !
AtomHeartMother is online now Find More Posts by AtomHeartMother
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:26 AM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
LtColSpit,
I just received my UM T28 kit. Wow! Ordered on Friday and received on Monday. That's service. It took a little while to install without warping the wings. The instructions were spot on. can't wait to start flying "on the dark side".
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:57 PM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
232 Posts
I ordered the P-51 Mustang kit and they came in a couple of days. I jsut installed them today and man are they bright. I think the 4 lights are perfect. You can tell the front from the back and left from right. I wasn't looking for a light set that was scale, rather I wanted to be able to fly at night and see the orientation of the plane.

I can't wait to take it out at dusk and try it out.
akozols is online now Find More Posts by akozols
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:03 PM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,003 Posts
Hope I don't kill this thread with another post... Lol
Flew my beast today at about 5pm...clear and very bright, sunny day. To my surprise the lights are easily visible even in bright sunlight. The landing lights really look cool during the day when doing touch and goes coming at you.
Couldn't be happier with the light kit !
AtomHeartMother is online now Find More Posts by AtomHeartMother