HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Boomer1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:56 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,465 Posts
Discussion
Nitroplane's AirField RC 55" Cessna 182

Just wanted to add a few current photos of my complete 182 - The plane has very good manners and is responsive. Very friendly to fly - looks great in the air, very scale looking aircraft. The plane has plenty of power and the flaps are very cool and add a dimension to the plane that provides additional control in varying wind conditions. My overall conclusion is that this one heck of an airplane for the money! There has been no issue with the nose gear to this point. My sense is that if the plane did include a real shock on the nose gear it would be a welcome addition for any future hard landings.

Original post:
I had been shopping for a Cessna 182 to add to my hanger and after considering a lot of input from forum members, I made the decision to buy the NitroPlanes.com 5 Channel AirField RC 55" Sky Trainer Upgrade Version Airplane w/ Brushless Motor/ESC/Flaps/LED Lights Almost Ready to Fly ARF Receiver Ready - EPO Foam Plane in Red
Wingspan: 55.5 inch Outrunner Motor (3536-kv900)Servo: 6X 9g High Speed Micro Servos, Speed Controller: 30A Brushless ESC

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...-blue-arf.html

Nitroplanes put it on sale for $109.00 and I couldn't pass on that price. I received the plane and was happy with the service, packaging and short delievery time.
Had one small issue with the spinner and prop shaft adapter, but Nitroplanes sent me a replacement at my request. I was dubious about buying from them but to my surprise they did a good job.

The kit is as good as any of my other planes. I removed the brand name decals from the plane which improved the planes overall appearence. I have not had time to put the plane together yet, but plan on making it a fall project or when ever I get a little extra time.

I included a picture of the actual plane - partially "dry" fit when it first arrived. I did this to make sure all the parts were in the kit and to confirm nothing had been damaged in transit. No problems were found.

From all the comments I've read from other owners, the plane flights very well - the only weekness being the front landing gear. I am working on an idea to incorporate shock absorbing devise on mine to avoid some of the issues that have been discussed. The nose gear has it's own servo and it looks like it has an absorbing devise on it, but it doesn't function.

I included some pictures of that. There maybe another nose gear I can incorporate, but I think the best plan is to make " good landings" and to avoid hard nose gear contact with the runway.

I may record the build and post the pictures at some point. I am looking forward to flying this plane later in the year. They look terrific in the air!!

Overall, Nitroplanes.com did a first class job - in checking from time to time they seem to have a issue keeping enough parts on hand to meet customer needs, but that is not unusal for discount seller. Time will tell if this becomes an issue.

More on this project to come
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Dec 28, 2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: UPDATE
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:08 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,214 Posts
Yours came with flaps or you added them? The one at nitroplanes says it does not? I also see its $134 now. Is that the right one I'm looking at?
Also, can you get floats for it?
Thanks!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:47 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Yours came with flaps or you added them? The one at nitroplanes says it does not? I also see its $134 now. Is that the right one I'm looking at?
Also, can you get floats for it?
Thanks!
Check out the two links below. They are on sale at $105.00 plus shipping. These planes come with flaps included servo controlled nose gear(steering)
The 5th channel is for the flaps.
I just went back to look at their site and noticed they are now referring to this plane as version 4. The one I got was called at the time the "new upgraded version" which to me meant it came with flaps. The previous model appreantly did not.

It looks like they changed some of the information on these planes. Not exactly sure of what all the changes are?? My does have flaps, servos motor,
ESC, prop and spinner, lights as they had listed at the time.

I actually got a call through to them to ask them a few questions. I have found the on line help to be the best way to contact them. I was lucky when I called. They are famous for their "on hold, all lines are busy" deal. You could grow old waiting for them to come on the line. Other than that, I really am satisfied with the plane and their service. I was pleasantly surprised.

Looks like it is $105 currently - I'll look again to see if I missed the $134 priced plane- I don't think you are looking at the same plane. One has a blacked out cocpit, mine has windows - which I prefer. Be sure you are looking at the right plane.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...2-red-arf.html
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 02, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 01:05 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Check out the two links below. They are on sale at $105.00 plus shipping. These planes come with flaps included servo controlled nose gear(steering)
The 5th channel is for the flaps.
I just went back to look at their site and noticed they are now referring to this plane as version 4. The one I got was called at the time the "new upgraded version" which to me meant it came with flaps. The previous model appreantly did not.

It looks like they changed some of the information on these planes. Not exactly sure of what all the changes are?? My does have flaps, servos motor,
ESC, prop and spinner, lights as they had listed at the time.

I actually got a call through to them to ask them a few questions. I have found the on line help to be the best way to contact them. I was lucky when I called. They are famous for their "on hold, all lines are busy" deal. You could grow old waiting for them to come on the line. Other than that, I really am satisfied with the plane and their service. I was pleasantly surprised.

Looks like it is $105 currently - I'll look again to see if I missed the $134 priced plane- I don't think you are looking at the same plane. Once has a blacked out cocpit, mine has windows - which I prefer. Be sure you are looking at the right plane.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...2-red-arf.html
Ok got it! Thanks!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:35 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
What the heck is a G-KEMY? Look at this.
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/G-KEMY.html
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:44 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
What the heck is a G-KEMY? Look at this.
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/G-KEMY.html
Sure looks real, but it is the same plane as I have only in blue trim.
This is why I like scale models. When they are in the air, it is hard to tell
them from a full size aircraft.

Hard to believe this is a foamie.

Here are a few pictures of the same plane from the Nitroplanes web site.

Cool picture. Still looking for the origin of the name.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 02, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:13 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Still looking for the origin of the name.
It's not a name. It is the United Kingdom registration. All their planes have G-???? letters.
Look at: http://aircraft-registration-country....blogspot.com/
Last edited by Whiskers; Aug 02, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:43 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
It's not a name. It is the United Kingdom registration. All their planes have G-???? letters.
Look at: http://aircraft-registration-country....blogspot.com/
Thank you. Now I understand - Since I fly here in the US - I think I'd prefer to have the traditional "N" followed by some numbers.

Good info for sure.

Boomer
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
Yep! You wouldn't anyone to think you were a Pomie
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:04 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
Where did you get the front wheel shock? I may have to get one of these planes. Price is too good to pass up!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:46 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Where did you get the front wheel shock? I may have to get one of these planes. Price is too good to pass up!
Not sure to whom you are addressing your question? I can repeat what I mentioned in a previous post, and that is: the plane comes with what appears to be a functioning shock. It doesn't function.

I am considering incorporating a spring type shock absorber that would dampen the shock from a hard landing. Another possibility is to use a functioning shock from another aircraft and adapt it to the this one. (See the photo below.)

I agree with the concept of landing correctly and avoiding any modifications. This a lot plane for the money and flys like a more expensive aircraft. For a "foamie" the darned thing looks really good, especially in the air. It presents a very good scale look up there.
So far so good.

Boomer
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:00 AM
United States, MI, Ypsilanti Township
Joined Apr 2011
27 Posts
Registration Numbers

Hi
They are British , "G" stands for Great Britten,I wish the manifactures would not put registration numbers on their ARF's.I have heard you can remove them with alcohol,but I have never tried it.
Crazy 1 is offline Find More Posts by Crazy 1
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:01 AM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
Got in 4 flights yesterday just before dark. I was concerned about the small wheels with our grass runway. First flight I took off from the parking lot, got it trimmed and landed on the grass. Lands very nicely with flaps down. (About 30 degrees) The grass runway was no problem. Looks really scale in the air and when you open it up it flies more like a sport plane. Plenty of power. Next 3 flights I took off from the grass with flaps down. It has so much power that it took off in 10 - 15 feet in the grass and almost climbed straight up... Flew for 8 min on a 3000 MAH 30C battery and used about 2/3 capacity with mixed throttle settings. It flies really nice at half throttle. Loops, rolls, vertical maneuvers and inverted flight no problem. Then lands like a trainer.

Lights look really cool just before dusk and are visible even when sun is out.

Assembly was easy straight forward. Took a couple of hours and I let glue cure overnight. Only mods were I had to shorten the control rods for ailerons and flaps a bit. They must have used shorter quick links at one time or the other and now rod is a bit too long. That took an extra 15 minutes. Otherwise I just followed the pictures. Wires are nicely labeled. I tossed the wire tube so I could have a little more room to pull wires through and be able to remove wing and easily unplug the wires. Receiver is floating in the tunnel where wires come down into fuselage behind battery area. I stuck the satellite receiver (very small) into one of the openings beside battery area. It balanced nicely with the 3000 MAH battery about a 1/2 inch from full forward. I cut a piece of the foam packing as a spacer for the battery to hold it in place (front and rear).
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:08 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy 1 View Post
Hi
They are British , "G" stands for Great Britten,I wish the manifactures would not put registration numbers on their ARF's.I have heard you can remove them with alcohol,but I have never tried it.
Crazy
The decals come off very easily with by just gently, but firmly pulling/peeling them off. Care is required so you don't pull off any of the foam with the decal.

Whiskers had provided the registration information on a previous post. But thanks for your response.

Boomer
Old Aug 09, 2011, 02:43 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,499 Posts
Boomer- for some reason I thought you already did the LG mod with a working shock/spring. I didn't thoroughly read the photo descriptions. Nice pics BTW!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal