HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
303 Posts
Looking good, here's a pic of mine. I should be done with it in a month or 2. Finished the first coat of paint a little while ago, just waiting on some good weather to add the final coat, tinted the canopy yellow also. In the background is a Aquila XL, and BS Sagitta XC fiberglass fuse.

Rich
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:36 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Very nice Rich! Looking somewhat slimmer than mine, or is it an illusion? How you did the canopy?

Forming a wing area of mine, few pics about that. Next big issue is how to get wing tube exactly straight in every direction. More jigs to come I think.

Armin
Lennuk is offline Find More Posts by Lennuk
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:31 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
I wondered in what stage I should place pushrods in place. Would it be better to do this before final sanding and painting? On Richs picture I see there is no pushrods yet.
Any suggestions about that? Thanks

Armin
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:07 AM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
303 Posts
You really can't go much futher on the fuse without the wings being built. I installed mine just prior to the final sand. The pushrad tubes are installed, just can't see them due to the paint over spray on the mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennuk View Post
I wondered in what stage I should place pushrods in place. Would it be better to do this before final sanding and painting? On Richs picture I see there is no pushrods yet.
Any suggestions about that? Thanks

Armin
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:36 PM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Thanks Rich! Some more pictures about your GE?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:07 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Glued wing joiner tube to the fuse. When wings are ready I will drill holes for smaller rear rod, to set wings exactly on the same angle.
Hope I get it right with that building sequence, I havent seen this done in that order, but thought Ill try this way.

Armin
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:48 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Little progress with the fuse.

Does anybody have some close pic about tow hook. How it would be easy and reliable way to make it. I think I have to build it in with the front ply keel and bottom balsa together

Armin
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Aug 2007
14 Posts
Does anyone have a set of wing rib profiles available for the Grand Esprit? I have the building plans, but they only show a few of the ribs. Please PM me if you would be willing to mail a copy of the wing rib profiles. Thank you.

juggler
juggler-3310 is offline Find More Posts by juggler-3310
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:59 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Armin, you have made me get back to mine. I have been following your build for a while now.
I glued in the inboard LE spruce, going to add the inboard sheeting when I get back from flying. Then it is the same for the outboard panel. That will leave only the dreaded sanding and then covering.

Yours is looking VERY nice.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:09 PM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Thanks Joe, If you could please post some pictures of your GE. Im still not sure how to make a towhook and in what sequence.

Juggler, I have the ribs layout, but this is the modified wing, spar and LE are different and the ribs will bu capped with 1,5mm balsa stripe, same as sheeting. So I doubt you could adapt these ribs to original drawing without doing a little drawing yourself.
Mine is E205 on center panel and E193 to the wingtips.

Armin
Last edited by Lennuk; Apr 07, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:29 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,507 Posts
I see how taking your time is certainly paying off! I'm looking forward to the rib/spar joining, as that one is hard for my 'goofy' brain to grasp! ya know- 'old dogs learning' new tricks and all!
thanks for the PDF!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:54 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,066 Posts
Joe's Grand Esprit Rehab

Ask and if I can . . . .
I had a captive tow hook in the last incarnation. Backed with 1/8" ply and filled in the gaps. I cut the tow hook channel in half since the whole thing was more than needed plus it makes a spare.
Center sheeting on. Will get the rest of the center panel done today.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:07 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Nice Joe! I wonder when Ill get to this point to sheet the wings. Now Im making a mould for canopy. I want to try to make a canopy from plastic bottle which shrinks with heat.

Armin
Old May 05, 2012, 02:15 PM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Hi all
Have had a very slow times in building progress, but here are few pics about making a plug for canopy forming from heat-shrink plastic

Armin