HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:29 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
As far as airfoils, why not try the S3014, or one of Dr. Drela's??
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:44 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Looked at S3014 and its thinner than E205. Unfortunately I have spars done already and these don´t fit into this airfoil anymore. If I´d make S3014 thiker it would then be almost identical to E205 Probably these wings are going with E205 and next project gets more modern foils.
Lennuk is offline Find More Posts by Lennuk
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:37 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Planed and sanded the tail control surfaces and test-fitted with tail.
For planing and sanding I did little jig on the table to hold it in place and put the TE even with table corner. That way it is easy to monitor the thikness on the TE and sand it carefully.

I have a question about the rigidity of the surfaces. They are quite soft when twisting by hand by holding each end. Do the covering add stiffness enough or is there some reinforcement needed. Original drawings does´nt show this though. I thought maybe bagging these with 25gr glass would add more stiffness and additional weight is reasonable?

Armin
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:26 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,222 Posts
I laminated a 1/32" plywood between two 1/8" balsa sheets when I rebuilt (rekitted, crashed, KILLED!)) my Super Esprit the first time. Then I did the cutouts that can be seen in the picture before planning and sanding to shape.
I never noticed and problems with the orginals on either the Super or the Grand though.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:14 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Getting everything exactly straight pays off... BIG! Nice work...

Darth Dead Eye
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Last edited by schrederman; Jan 23, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
994 Posts
Covering should stiffen up th e tail just fine. No huge speeds with this bird, so probably no problems of flutter or strength.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:18 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
glued two fuse inner walls to the boom. They are now exactly aligned with tail, so the further steps would form the fuse to be aligned with tail by default.

armin
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Making the fuse. I did little tenons to every inner partition walls. So it is easier
to place the sides exactly to their place and it seems stronger that way also.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
After quite long brake I finally glued pod sides together. Everything just popped together thanks to careful planning and cutting. Nice to see the fuse in its full size. Next will be the triangular fillets between sides and fuse partitions

Armin
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:23 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Did little dreamin´
Can´t wait when she takes off first time
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:25 AM
Suomi, Länsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
700 Posts
I really like to follow this build, the way you use various jigs to get things straight and true is particularly good. I did build a Grand Esprit as my second RC-glider back in around 1980, so this build also gives nice nostalgic feelings.

BTW Armin, where in Estonia do you live? I travel couple days in Estonia every spring, one or two small gliders packed in car. I've flown slopers in the places like coastal cliffs in NE Estonia (Aseri, Lüganuse, Kohtla and Toila), ash hill in Kiviöli, Panga pank in Saaremaa and few other places.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:06 PM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
I´m glad you like this thread. I live in Tallinn.
Do you have a picture about your GE, it would be nice to see your color scheme.
There is quite a long time before I start cover mine, but already gathering ideas what color scheme to use. I like the looks of unmanned surveillance aircrafts UAVs, but I think I could´nt use some military color because it is hard to see when trees or hills or smth is in background.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:36 PM
Suomi, Länsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
700 Posts
Mine flew over thirty years ago, there might be pictures somewhere but can't find them now. Anyway, the first covering was simply white solarfilm all over the wings and dark blue fuselage, later after some crashing, I covered the wings with all yellow solarfilm because I thougt that yellow is more visible.

If you are aware about finnish model airplane board called lennokit.net, there is long thread on history of the RC-gliding in Finland in the RC-glider section and there is also few pictures of Grand Esprits (you need to register to see the pics). One x-tail converted GE is actually in the roof of library of the Finnish Aviation Museum in Vantaa, you can find pictures of that plane also from the above mentioned thread.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:16 AM
Estonia
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Thats good info. Next time I come to Finland maybe I have time to check out the GE in Vantaa. I have´nt been in that museum yet.