HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:23 AM
Joined Jun 2011
228 Posts
Discussion
Dumas 1930 Chris Craft

Hi All,
I just recently finished the diagonal planking on my 1930 Chris Craft and have cut it off the building board - exciting moment!.

I have still to sand off the planks at the sheers but have been confused by the position of the cabin sides C1. Do these fit closely along the inside edge of the sheers or are they slightly gapped off? I'm finding the bulkhead slots for C1 are about 2mm inside of inner edge of the sheers tending to leave a small gap the entire way along. The plan appears to show C1 following the inside edge.

I would appreciate any input to help resolve this before I blunder ahead with glue.
So far I'm very pleased with the planking but I can't help but think a solid sheet would be easier but not so authentic.

Did I see someone else was about to undertake one of these 1930 Chris Crafts?

Cheers,
David
KiwiDavid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiDavid
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:19 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,123 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Lots of info here.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
228 Posts
Hello woodybob,
I had a good look through the build logs but the Dumas 1930 Chris Craft seems a bit scarce compared to other models.
I've attached a picture of my problem which shows the cabin side C1 roughly fitted in to its slots in the bulkheads but there is about a 2mm gap between C1 and the sheer which doesn't look right. Is C1 glued full length to the sheer or only at the bulkheads, leaving the gap I'm seeing?
And yes.....I will sand down the sheers before I glue anything.

Cheers,
David
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:08 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,123 Posts
It's been years since I built this kit. I think it's not an issue, just fill the gap with a splinter or glue and move on. It all gets covered with mahogany, never to be seen again.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
228 Posts
Hi,
I think you're right - time to move on. I suspect it's a legacy of the sheers not fully indexing in to the bulkheads. I've probably sanded the outside edges down to the bulkheads and now the inside edge has caught me out and needs building up. The old Dumas knife die accuracy leaves a little to be desired, especially those radiused notches.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,
David