SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2011, 01:21 AM
Joined Oct 2010
86 Posts
Help!
DLE 30 Rear Carb On a Yak 54 mounting issue

Hi,
i bought a DLE 30cc rear carb to put on my Flight-model Yak 54. The plane is designed for the DLE side carb version and now my new engine has engine mounting standoffs that are longer than the one with the side carb. This will lead the engine to be installed 2-3 cm forward from the one that flight-model wants....
The question is whether i keep this setup or do you think i should put shorter mounting standoffs, cut the firewall and put the carb behind the firewall inside the airframe?
Thank you
exteng is offline Find More Posts by exteng
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:22 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
628 Posts
Purchase a set of standoffs that will fit your need. Try a search engine. There are several companies that sell them. Cermark comes to mind first.
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:57 AM
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2007
132 Posts
DLE 30 Rear Carb

Before you go and make another purchase, if you have the plane all together, check the CG and see if it is tail heavy or nose heavy. 2 - 3cm will only make
a slight difference in the CG. Check the clearance of the cowl from the back
of the spinner ( if used ). If the clearance is pretty pronounced, then a shorter
standoff might be called for.
propicts is online now Find More Posts by propicts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Oct 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propicts View Post
Before you go and make another purchase, if you have the plane all together, check the CG and see if it is tail heavy or nose heavy. 2 - 3cm will only make
a slight difference in the CG. Check the clearance of the cowl from the back
of the spinner ( if used ). If the clearance is pretty pronounced, then a shorter
standoff might be called for.
The clearance is about 34 mm........
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:55 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
566 Posts
EXTENG; I feel your pain. I had the same problem with a Slipstream MX-2. The rear carb on the DLE 30 makes the engine longer. The solution on my plane was to bore a hole in the firewall to take the carb and throttle/choke levers. Be aware though that this makes the mixture needles almost completely inaccessible. Also on the MX-2 the firewall was only 2 laminations of 1/8 lite ply. The DLE instructions advise a minimum firewall of 3/8 inch presumably with no hole. The ideal solution would be to move the firewall back the extra 30 mm or so and make sure it is 3/8 inch thick.

Best of luck

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:53 AM
Joined Oct 2010
86 Posts
Thank you all for your suggestions..........