SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2011, 12:26 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Discussion
Any info or experiences with the .3g 3.5a 1s bl esc

Does anyone have the little esc? If so, does it work? If so, does it work properly?
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2011, 01:06 AM
Joined Mar 2010
330 Posts
To assess the ESC "HK030"(0,3 gr.) i can give comparative data on the thrust of three different ESC with my gearbox "HP03TR10(7,3:1)B"(3,4g.) and the propeller "MCF6030C" at a voltage 3.5 V:

"YGE-4S" (0,7 g.) - Thrust 48 g., Current - 1.52 A;
"MBC3" (0,2 g.) - Thrust 44 g., Current - 1.37 A;
"HK030" (0,3 g.) - Thrust 37 g., Current - 1.11 A.

I would estimate HK030 roughly corresponds to the parameters ESC XP-3A.
Vladimir88 is offline Find More Posts by Vladimir88
Last edited by Vladimir88; Aug 02, 2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:16 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Alright thanks. That excludes the hk030 from my list.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:10 AM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
I don't understand the correlation between the esc and thrust. Thrust is a function of RPM and RPM is a function of the throttle level from the RX. The efficiencies of the above listed ESC's looks about the same so perhaps the endpoints on the TX need to be adjusted to get the same RPM.

I use the 3.5 amp 0.3G HK esc on an AP03 and think it works quite well.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:53 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Vladimir88 is not the only person I know of that is saying what he stated above. Not all are capable of running at the higher rpms.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Mar 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McPherson View Post
I don't understand the correlation between the esc and thrust...
All ESC have the power losses at its output switches.
The better the regulator, the lower this losses and thus obtained higher thrust the motors with prop.
Quote:
..Thrust is a function of RPM and RPM is a function of the throttle level from the RX. The efficiencies of the above listed ESC's looks about the same so perhaps the endpoints on the TX need to be adjusted to get the same RPM...
My measurements are made always at maximum the throttle transmitter, therefore the comparison conditions are the same.
But because of different electrical losses in the ESC get different thrust.
Quote:
...I use the 3.5 amp 0.3G HK esc on an AP03 and think it works quite well...
But if your relatively low-speed motor AP03 apply ESC "YGE-4S" instead of "0.3G HC", it would increase the traction on the lower value of about 10%.
Last edited by Vladimir88; Aug 02, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 01:42 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir88 View Post
All ESC have the power losses at its output switches.
The better the regulator, the lower this losses and thus obtained higher thrust the motors with prop.

My measurements are made always at maximum the throttle transmitter, therefore the comparison conditions are the same.
But because of different electrical losses in the ESC get different thrust.

But if your relatively low-speed motor AP03 apply ESC "YGE-4S" instead of "0.3G HC", it would increase the traction on the lower value of about 10%.
I believe that you are incorrect in assuming that lower thrust equals higher switching losses.

Look at your thrust numbers above. The YGE-4S produces 48g at 1.52 amps ( voltage is the same between the motors so we won't count it). 48/1.52= 31.58 grams per amp. The HK030 produced 37g at 1.11 amps. 37/1.11= 33.33 grams per amp. This shows that the motor ran more efficiently on the HK030 than the YGE-4S.

Why did the two have a RPM difference at full throttle? I don't know, perhaps it is a timing advance issue or a difference in PWM width.

-Jim
Old Aug 02, 2011, 02:06 PM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,922 Posts
All fine if it is efficiency you are after but I think many people are more interested in max performance.

The timing has a big impact on performance. High end ESCs like the YGE has many settings to choose from. You could probably swap performance for efficiency on that by chaning the timing.

Better quality FETs will also help improve performance. The cheap ESCs use low grade parts.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Aug 02, 2011, 02:30 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Agreed, there is no substitute for good FET's. I don't see any reason to think that the HK030 has poor quality FET's though. If I wanted similar performance to the YGE, I'd just up my prop until I got the wattage I needed for the application. As long as efficiency is good, you can make a system work well.

-Jim
Old Aug 02, 2011, 03:17 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Jim just gave me an idea. If I want to use a bigger prop, I could use a cheaper (HK030) esc since it will not be able to supply the higher watts with the smaller prop. But wouldn't you also being to change the timing on a high end esc to get the same results?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined Mar 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Look at your thrust numbers above. The YGE-4S produces 48g at 1.52 amps ( voltage is the same between the motors so we won't count it). 48/1.52= 31.58 grams per amp. The HK030 produced 37g at 1.11 amps. 37/1.11= 33.33 grams per amp. This shows that the motor ran more efficiently on the HK030 than the YGE-4S...
Jim,
You tell only that the motor with a gearbox with a lower current or power supplied to it is more efficient. But this applies to motor parameter! But this is not relevant to the ESC.
Due to power loss or inefficiency of the ESC to the motor is supplied less power and because of this has less maximum-possible thrust and this already has a relationship to the quality of the ESC!...

Micromodels to have a big problem to deficit of thrust.
At low supply voltages motors and ESC work inefficient.
Therefore, the maximum possible electric power which the ESC gives for motors is of paramount importance.
Last edited by Vladimir88; Aug 02, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 03:54 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir88 View Post
Jim,
You tell only that the motor with a gearbox with a lower current or power supplied to it is more efficient. But this applies to motor parameter! But this is not relevant to the ESC.
Due to power loss or inefficiency of the ESC to the motor is supplied less power and because of this has less maximum-possible thrust and this already has a relationship to the quality of the ESC!
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. What you say above is only true if you measured current at the motor and not before the ESC. Given that you used a brushless motor, I doubt that is true.

I believe that if you prop the HK030 up to match the current draw of another controller, you will get the same (or very similar) thrust / speed whatever you are looking for.

I still say thrust is a silly way to measure ESC performance.

-Jim
Old Aug 02, 2011, 03:58 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
So would any of you be willing to over prop the little esc to see what the results would be?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:03 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
So would any of you be willing to over prop the little esc to see what the results would be?
It's not really over propping if you keep the current level below the maximum of your motor / ESC. I have got a bunch of props on the way from China to test on my AP03 / HK030. I'll be happy to share the results. What kind of performance are you looking for?

-Jim
Old Aug 02, 2011, 04:10 PM
Joined Mar 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
... What you say above is only true if you measured current at the motor and not before the ESC. Given that you used a brushless motor, I doubt that is true...
If you are a little versed in electronics, would know that for the maximum input and output currents are almost identical.
Accuracy is of the order of one percent. That is negligible.

Quote:
I still say thrust is a silly way to measure ESC performance.
I'm sorry, but it seems that you could not understand me.
The main thing that we need from the ESC, motor and propeller - is the maximum thrust, with good energy efficiency.
So what can be more objective and critical than metering thrust with different ESC?

Regarding - "silly way" ... I personally did not see the rationality in your arguments but i have the ability to have enough tact not to call them similarly ...
Last edited by Vladimir88; Aug 02, 2011 at 04:27 PM.