HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2003, 04:44 PM
Believer...
Bean Town 0 years since last World Series Win!!!!!
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
Where's all the MOD INFO for Zero???

I know that a long time ago people had huge threads concerning the mods for the GWS Zero, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. If anyone knows the threads, i.e. battery placement, correct CG etc. then please let me know since my first will be here next week. Thanks.

RG
research_guy is offline Find More Posts by research_guy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2003, 11:15 AM
Believer...
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
Anybody know of anything at all???

RG
Old Sep 10, 2003, 11:26 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Jun 2003
78 Posts
Researc Guy,

I also have a ZERO and attempted to fly it with the setup that Gws Recommends. This was before reading the info on this site.

I learned real quick that the CG is very important. The first flight started with a very unstable aircraft and ended with a fuselage broken in two. I read that the CG should be moved forward 10 milimeters. I used foam safe CA to make the repair and moved the CG and it flew fine. The battery placement is how you adjust the CG. I had to move mine way forward.

Now I am using a 1600 mah LiPoly Battery all the way up front just over the motor. I get flight time of 20 min or so between chareges.
It is fun to fly but seems to be a bit under powered though.

Hope this helps as I don't know where the thread is your looking for.
JimmyTheG is offline Find More Posts by JimmyTheG
Old Sep 10, 2003, 11:31 AM
Believer...
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
Jimmy,

So, it's 10mm in front of the suggested in the manual? I heard that it was sometimes necessary to carve out some of the foam to move the batteries. Also, I'll be running the GWS 350C, not the 300. It seems like that will help some. If you remember the ezone thread that you found that might help. I just can't seem to find it doing a search. (In foamies, parkflyers, or GWS)

Thanks,
RG
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:44 PM
Believer...
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
I'll bump this just once to see if anyone knows. Is there any more information that I NEED to know before I start building????

RG
Old Sep 16, 2003, 12:02 AM
Ida, Michigan
Joined Sep 2003
19 Posts
Hi RG,
I just finished getting all the bugs ironed out of my Zero. The best info I got was to put a 1/8 in stick of balsa across the fuse at 1 in back from the very front of the wing opening. This causes the wing incidence to be slightly less positive and makes a world of difference in how the plane flys. You then glue the front wing mount in so the wing stays at that angle. The balance point with this set-up should be 60 mm back from the front of the wing. I am using a ETECH 1200 2s1p Li-Poly battery and with that pack installed as far as it will go foward in the battery area, I added 1/4 oz lead in the nose in the cut-out under the motor stick. The AUW for my Zero is 12 oz. I flew it before doing this mod with the CG at 1/4 in behind the bamboo spar, but I had to add almost 2 OZ of lead in the nose to get it to balance. It isn't much fun to fly that way. I fly mine without the landing gear since I think it is kinda weak and it looks better without it anyway IMO. Good luck on your Zero!

Mike
propwash42 is offline Find More Posts by propwash42
Old Sep 16, 2003, 12:28 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Mine balances right on the wing stick.

I have the nose cut out so I can slide an 8 cell 600 almost all the way to the cowl. I was able to carve it out the same way after building my father-in-law's Zero, but mine was done when I got it.

Flies perfect, super stable. I launch it underhand, no landing gear.

John
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:19 AM
Believer...
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
So, the majority say to go without the LG huh? I thought it would be really cool to taxi around on the new artificial turf in the park up the street. I guess I'll install it for now and then I can take it off later if I need to. Thanks for all the great info and advice. I just started building last night...very cautiously building. I'm using foam safe CA so that should keep the weight down in the end. Thanks again.

RG