HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:11 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Discussion
Battery connectors / parrallel charging.

Hi guys.

New to the hobby - read loads on batteries but still got long way to go.

Bought 2nd hand trex 500 with some batteries included. They have connectors as illustrated (ESC connectors also pictured).

Name: P1090416.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 126.0 KB
Description:

Name: P1090417.jpg
Views: 42
Size: 107.0 KB
Description:

So first question is - what are these connectors? i am having trouble working it out despite looking at pics of the common options!

Once I work that out... any new batts I buy I will need to convert to these things - so hopefully that will be simple enough? Not sure where to buy them.

One issue I have is that thes connectors are not immediately compatible with the charge sockets on my cellpro 10s (pic attached).

Name: P1090419.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 167.8 KB
Description:

I can charge slowly with the balance charger - but how do I get them to connect to the 10s for fast charges?

Lastly... I also bought a parallel charging board (as pictured)

Name: P1090422.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 150.6 KB
Description:

to plug into my 10s. This has different type connectors again in the middle... arghhh! So how do I get my batts hooked up to this thing?

Cheers if anyone can help.
doctorz is offline Find More Posts by doctorz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:48 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Top photo has a male bullet on the red (positive) battery lead and a female on the black negative lead.

Bullets come in many sizes sucha as 4mm, 4-1/2, 5, 6, 6-1/2 etc. Most chargers and multi meters use 4mm ones.

The yellow connectors on the parallel board are XT60 which hold bullet connectors (301/2 mm I believe). Female on the battery is standard.

There are many connectorsand there really is no standard. Best to pick one you like and make that your standard. If you fly with others it is sometimes helpful if you use the most common connectors so that you can borrow their watt / amp. meter or even a battery or charger. This comes in handy if you need a battery or power system checked out.

The parallel cjarging board you have has a JST-XH connector which uses 2-1/2 mm spacing while the Cell Pro 10 balancing connectors use 2 mm spacing. Again there is no real standard.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:13 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
The first and 2nd picture are of (guessing) 3.5mm bullet connectors.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...p?idproduct=68
Save them for ESC to motor connectors.

Cellpro 10s ports 1 and 2 are for 4mm Banana plugs
http://www.toddsmodels.com/product_p/sul645.htm

Make or buy port adaptors: 4mm banana plug to XT60
My suggestion is to change the battery connectors to XT60.
WARNING! Do one lead at a time! TAPE THE OTHER LEAD!
Do NOT SPARK THE BATTERY LEADS!

That parallel charging board?
Yellow shielded connectors are "XT60".
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9572
The white multi-wired thing goes to the balance ports on your charger.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:14 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Charles ALWAYS BEATS US TO THE KEYBOARD!
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Cheers for that.

I wont be flying with anyone else - just need to sort out the practicalities here. I have three batts with those connectors on already - so may as well stick with them.

So... I need to buy some bullet connectors - just measure the diameter of the ones I have and stick to those? I have never soldered before but have an iron. Are these things easy enough to learn on? Don't suppose there is a crimp version?

How do I get them to interface with the cellpro?

How do I get them to interface with the parallel board?
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Missed your post Rick.

Very practical and possibly just what I need.

I am a bit worried about having to resolder all these connections as a noob - but going over to these xt60s would make things simpler in the long run.]

No easy way to use the connectors I already have to do everything I want?
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:24 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Red wire to Red wire to Pos
Black wire to Black wire to Neg

Drill a hole in a wood block to hold the bullet connector.
Lucien Miller shows how
How to Solder Bullet Connectors By Innov8tive Designs (13 min 30 sec)
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:26 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,044 Posts
Nothings Easy till your done
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:12 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorz View Post
Don't suppose there is a crimp version?
If you really want to crimp, look at Anderson Powerpoles. However, soldering is easy. A newbie might make mistakes but I've seen crimping mistakes too.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Cheers guys - but that video shows how to solder bullet connectors - thats not what i want right?

I would like to do that for simplicities sake - but no one has come up with a way to mate my current bullet connectors with a) my cellpro, b) my balance board. Is that right?

In which case I should just buy those xt60s and get on with it?
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:39 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,987 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have 4mm bullet connectors on your packs.

You need to make up adaptor leads to go with your charger. You will need a male to female lead for the red +ve battery pack lead, and a male to male lead for the black -ve lead. Although the charger sockets are nominally for banana plugs, 4mm bullet connectors fit them well.

I find it much easier to solder individual bullet connectors than to have to deal with two leads going to an XT60 or Deans connector or similar.

These 4mm Bullet Connectors are cheap, and good quality and work well for me. There are enough in the pack that you can practice soldering before you commit to an important connection - such as to a battery pack or an ESC. The main thing is to have a soldering iron with enough power - I use a trigger type 50w one, and it makes things pretty easy.

Good luck!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Aug 02, 2011, 06:51 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
I like the sound of that 2 doggs..... what kind of wire do I buy to make my cable? And how do I then attach to those yellow plugs in my balance board???
Old Aug 02, 2011, 07:09 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,987 Posts
Ideally you need something like 12 AWG tinned copper wire. If you look at the leads on your batteries, it should show the wire gauge. For charging though, it's really not that critical since the charging current will be much lower than the peak currents delivered by the battery pack in use, so you might be able to find some suitable wire from an auto parts store or cut some from a scrap power cord or extension lead.

You don't have to use the yellow connectors on your balance board - just plug the balance board lead into the balancer outlet on your charger, and then plug your battery pack balancer lead into the appropriate outlet on the balancer board. Plug the battery leads directly into the banana plug outlets of your charger, using the two adaptor leads described.

Of course that only works if you want to charge one pack at a time, but maybe it would be simplest to do that at least to begin with.

If you do go for the bullet connectors, also buy some 5mm dia heat shrink tubing, red and 5mm dia heat shrink tubing, black
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Aug 02, 2011, 08:08 PM
Joined May 2011
27 Posts
Thanks doggs - i get that... but i wouldn't have bought a balance board if i didn't want to charge multiple batts at once!

I guess I could just make some bullet ---> XT60 leads. Will go and see if there is a youtube video showing how to solder those things
Old Aug 02, 2011, 08:23 PM
Halifax, NS
Joined Sep 2009
404 Posts
If you want to use the balance board you just need to make up an XT60 to female bullet (positive side) and male bullet (negative side) to mate up with the leads on your batteries. Figure out what size bullets you need and solder to the wires. It's pretty easy. You'll also need an XT60 to Banana plug adapter to connect the balance board to the charger. Both available at HobbyKing:

XT60 female with 12 AWG wire

XT60 male charger cable
karlpenney is offline Find More Posts by karlpenney