SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,268 Posts
Love to see this kit get reviewed with the good stuff.

On the other hand, it's Tower... and they excel at selling a Yugo for the price of an Infinity.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.flyer View Post
While the size comparison might be fair between your PA Addiction 3D and the Razor the rest of the similiarities between the two are quite different. PA airplanes have always and will always be built extremely light.....why? They are built for electric power only for one reason. The Razor on the other hand is built for both electric and glow power plants. Imagine trying to put a glow motor on your same sized PA Addiction 3D. The Addiction probably wouldn't even make it through one flight before the motor vibrated off the motor box.

So not quite an apple to apple comparison there.

As far as landings go the Razor actually will slow down quite nicely. The key to the landings are to establish a nice shallow decent rate while maintaining a small amount of power right up to the flare.

Hope that helps some.

Tim

Thanks for the quick reply.... Well, you made me feel a little better! One more question though... instead of the recommended 3300mAh lipo, I'm using a Turnigy Nano-tech 4500 6s. It fits in the plane easily without modifying the canopy framework but it is 165 grams (6 oz) heavier than the same type in a 3300mAh. Is this worth buying the latter version. I'm currently using the 4500 version in my 71" Slick from 3D Hobby. I figured to save on purchasing more batteries. What's your feeling on this?

By the way, The Monokote covering was sooo hard to work with, there was no way I could make the plane look "perfect" so I stripped it and recovered with Ultrakote. It looks really great now!
rs670 is offline Find More Posts by rs670
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:32 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs670 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.... Well, you made me feel a little better! One more question though... instead of the recommended 3300mAh lipo, I'm using a Turnigy Nano-tech 4500 6s. It fits in the plane easily without modifying the canopy framework but it is 165 grams (6 oz) heavier than the same type in a 3300mAh. Is this worth buying the latter version. I'm currently using the 4500 version in my 71" Slick from 3D Hobby. I figured to save on purchasing more batteries. What's your feeling on this?
rs670,

Actually those packs might help move the CG back some provided you place them as far aft on the battery tray as possible. With the recommended packs placed as far aft on the battery tray as possible I still finding myself wanting the CG a little further back (but don't want to add lead to achieve this).

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts
Lipo position

I'm taking your advice on moving battery pack further back. I tried using the 4500mAh pack but couldn't get it back far enough so I bit the bullet and bought 3300mAh packs. I had to remove fuselage cross brace and replace with carbon fiber brace a little further back. Notice also that the receiver is mounted to the rear. This setup puts the CG right at 5 1/8". I also installed Dimension Engineering BEC like yours. It's ready to go once the Pennsylvania weather breaks. Thanks for the help.
rs670 is offline Find More Posts by rs670
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:24 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs670 View Post
I'm taking your advice on moving battery pack further back. I tried using the 4500mAh pack but couldn't get it back far enough so I bit the bullet and bought 3300mAh packs. I had to remove fuselage cross brace and replace with carbon fiber brace a little further back. Notice also that the receiver is mounted to the rear. This setup puts the CG right at 5 1/8". I also installed Dimension Engineering BEC like yours. It's ready to go once the Pennsylvania weather breaks. Thanks for the help.

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:14 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
I heard the very sad news today of Tim's passing. He will be greatly missed.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Apr 2013
1 Posts
I was wondering how much servo extension sicks out of the wing. I was planing on putting 2 6" servo extensions coming out of each wing so I can attach it to the servo and the receiver and still be able to unplug the servo extension easily to remove the wing.
hauling1 is offline Find More Posts by hauling1