HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:12 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Discussion
helppppp! just stept things up

g'day folks, just came back from the hobby shop, in my possession a new spektrum DX6i and a UMX the beast plane.....

ive come from flying 2-3ch park flyers to my first serious plane, looking at everything i dont know what the heck to do, how to bind it, and how to set it up, my hobby store i think said set my duel rates to 50% and my exponential to 30%, does this sound right?
keithy351 is offline Find More Posts by keithy351
Last edited by keithy351; Aug 01, 2011 at 02:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:24 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
ok so i understand dual rates now and how to set them up lol, i will set it so on position 1 there all at 100% and position 0 set it to 50% and increase as i get more confident, heres the video i learned from

Dual Rates Explained (8 min 6 sec)

also sorry to keep adding questions, but should i set the expo on all channels????
Last edited by keithy351; Aug 01, 2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:03 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
350 Posts
I would set 30% expo for the elevator, maybe the same or less for aileron and rudder.
buratino is offline Find More Posts by buratino
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:15 AM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Feb 2011
196 Posts
I also just got my first DX6i and Beast just this weekend. I also didn't know how to do any of those things that you mentioned and was able to figure it out by reading the manuals. I am assuming that your purchases came with manuals correct?

Just read up on it. All your questions will be answered.
joshuajcrouch is offline Find More Posts by joshuajcrouch
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
yeah the dx6i has a very comprehensive manual... but YouTube can be good for people who don't read very well (not saying they can't read well cause they don't know how, they just don't understand what the words they just read mean together.)

good luck with the beast, when you get your expo set up you should have a blast
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:10 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apothecarion View Post
yeah the dx6i has a very comprehensive manual... but YouTube can be good for people who don't read very well (not saying they can't read well cause they don't know how, they just don't understand what the words they just read mean together.)

good luck with the beast, when you get your expo set up you should have a blast
funny your should say that, im new to all this as ive only come off rtf 3ch plane, so i knew non of the terminology, jumping on youtube and finding a video that explains what things are was great, now reading over the manual again after watching the video i understand, so i must say although manuals are great, if you dont understand terminology and abreviations even as simple as understanding what tx and rx are or dual rates and expo then the manual can be difficult to understand, i also use youtube for mathmatics while im at university, nothing beats having everything on youtube where you also have the ability to pause and rewind to understand, wish i could do that with my lecturer
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:47 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy351 View Post
funny your should say that, im new to all this as ive only come off rtf 3ch plane, so i knew non of the terminology, jumping on youtube and finding a video that explains what things are was great, now reading over the manual again after watching the video i understand, so i must say although manuals are great, if you dont understand terminology and abreviations even as simple as understanding what tx and rx are or dual rates and expo then the manual can be difficult to understand, i also use youtube for mathmatics while im at university, nothing beats having everything on youtube where you also have the ability to pause and rewind to understand, wish i could do that with my lecturer
Yep. You will love the beast. Try to take it slow on your first flight with around half-3/4th throttle and you should be fine Just post here if you have any questions!
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:40 PM
United States, WY, Jackson
Joined May 2007
115 Posts
Plug in the recommended D/R and expo from the manual.
marriola is offline Find More Posts by marriola
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:01 PM
The new guy
Londonderry, NH
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Remember, altitude is your friend. On takeoff get nice and high in the air so that if you make a mistake you have time to recover.
Chris_F is offline Find More Posts by Chris_F
Old Aug 01, 2011, 02:28 PM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
506 Posts
Keithy, I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't suggest The Beast as your first aileron plane. Even at 50% rates, it is very snappy and responsive. It goes where you tell it to with basically no self correcting tendencies. If you roll it 70 degrees, it will stay rolled at 70 degrees until you level the wings back out. Being a barely-above-newb pilot myself, I can say that The Beast will be a handful for someone having only 2 and 3 channel experience.
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:51 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,062 Posts
A good way to get to know a new transmitter is to select an empty model slot, disconnect you engine or at least take the prop off and just 'fiddle' with the settings watching how the servos (control surfaces) move. This is best done on your own in the evening with a good supply of your favored drink (beer in my case :-) ). Eventually you will 'see' what the guy who wrote the totally incomprehensible instructions meant!!!!!

PS, I earn money part-time by writing 'totally incomprehensible' instructions for RC stuff BUT not for Spektrum (their instructions are quite good).
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,857 Posts
It's a really big step you are taking. I won't say you can't do it, there are many folks that are sort of naturals in any particular venue. I bought a Sukhoi as my first um plane after only a couple of buddy box flights on parkflyer planes. I still have it, but I almost beat it to a pulp before I bought some easier to fly machines and spent hours flying them. First flight lasted about 3 seconds and after about a month I could keep it in the air for 10 seconds or so. Hopefully you are ok with the possibility that you could destroy the Beast first time out. If you are ok with that, you will be fine. In my case if I had the Beast over the Sukhoi, I would have pretty well totalled it right off the bat. It is not necessarily a tough bird - in fact it's kind of fragile. I do now fly the Beast and don't find it hard to fly at all after a few months of practice. I would recommend you go even lower than 50% on rates and possibly even higher on expo. Even better would be to put the Beast up for a while and pick up a umt28 and work through the process in smaller steps.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
thanks for the advice and support guys, ive been playing around with it on the floor, getting used to how the expo and dual rates effect the plane, ive got it set now at 60/40 dual rate and expo, it seems that its really restricted how snappy it is and seems its made it alot more dosile, tbh i just need to try it, if a crash it or find it too hard to fly even restricted i will fix what i break lol and then look at something simpler, but im over 3ch planes, there boring so i gotta upgrade eventually, i cant stick on 3ch for ever, maybe i should of bought the parkzone mirco p-51 instead but i liked the look of the beast too much, is there any free flight simulators i can download to get a few practices in though using my transmitter to get a "feel" for it???
Old Aug 02, 2011, 05:33 AM
Joined Jul 2011
135 Posts
just bought the phoenix flight simulator, it has a "the beast" plane on it and alot of similar parkzone planes on it too, very excited to try it out, and get some practice down before i go fly the real thing
Old Aug 02, 2011, 10:58 PM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy351 View Post
just bought the phoenix flight simulator, it has a "the beast" plane on it and alot of similar parkzone planes on it too, very excited to try it out, and get some practice down before i go fly the real thing
Phoenix Flight Sim is worth its weight in gold! I love it, as it is a very valuable tool, and fun too. With that said, I still suggest a Parkzone UM T-28 as your first aileron plane. If you are still hell bent on flying the your beast, be sure to put in tons of time on the sim first.

Remember that the sim and real life are very different though. Don't be surprised when your first real life flight isn't as smooth as those on the sim. Also, the Hangar 9 Beast and E-Flite UMX Beast are two different planes. The Hangar 9 version on Phoenix flys similar to the UMX in real life, but not identical by any means. Again, don't be surprised by this.

I will try to mess around with the planes on Phoenix and pick one that feels the most like the UMX Beast for ya.
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05