HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:26 PM
United States, TX
Joined Oct 2010
331 Posts
Discussion
Holy cow! My fatshark cable burst into flames!!!

Just a few minutes ago I was sitting in my office watching my last flight via the fatshark goggles and the A/V power cable just burst into flames!!!! My house reeks of magic smoke. The only thing that could have caused this is a short somewhere in the middle of the cable. The goggles are still fine but man, that was scary. It literally sounded like a match. The cable is a goner. Who should I bitch at to get a new cable?? Vendor or FS?
Slaphappysamy is offline Find More Posts by Slaphappysamy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:38 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,455 Posts
dito I had the same thing happen to me when i first tried the fatshark base edition

don't even bother with RV and customer service, they are abosoutely very poor if non existant service, very very very very poor customer service from RV

fatshark will fix you up asap
go to the website or here on rc groups and send your message
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:39 AM
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
401 Posts
Yikes, that's pretty scary. Glad you were around when it happened. Obviously you will get a new cable at my expense but I'd like to get the goggles back as well to see if somehow a short developed in the headset causing the cable to overheat. How long have you used the goggles before this happened (nothing to do with warranty, I just want to understand how long it worked before failure)? During any other time did you notice an intermittent image?
Send me a PM to arrange for the return.

Edit: Also tell me what you were using to power the goggles with. The Fat Shark battery packs have a safety circuit which will cutout if shorted and most power supplies are limited to 1A. If using an RC lipo pack, you won't have the benefit of any safety circuit to limit the current.
-Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark
Last edited by fatshark; Aug 01, 2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: reason noted in post
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:45 AM
Electronics slayer
Reading, UK
Joined Jul 2008
494 Posts
That's funny you should mention that as twice I've plugged the power cable into my fatshark cable and the it's cracked like a match and magic smoke has poured out. The cable still works and the goggles are fine, but it's kinda worrying.
SouthPawPaul is offline Find More Posts by SouthPawPaul
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:13 AM
United States, TX
Joined Oct 2010
331 Posts
Thanks FS for the great CS!

I was using a 3s lipo connected to the supplied Deans/barrel plug adapter so there was no current limiting. I wont be using any unfused power source again thats for sure. I am pretty sure what happend is a short occured between gnd and the power conductor right at the base of the plastic block where the A/V cables split. Once it shorted, the wire (now a loop) recieved massive amounts of current from the lipo which vaporized the entire length of wire running from the plastic block (where the short occurred) to the power connector (about 3.5"). Fatshark has been on top of it so thats a good thing to see.
Slaphappysamy is offline Find More Posts by Slaphappysamy