HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Aero Andy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:12 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Gallery
F-84 Thunderjet

Thunderjet F84 (3 min 17 sec)

Photos http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...57&postcount=8

Wingspan 24", AUW 240g with a 3s 1000mAh lipo.
Motor 2211 2300kv
Prop GWS 4x4
ESC 12A HK Blue series
Servos 4.4g
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aero Andy; Dec 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:08 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,831 Posts
F-84 Pusher

Ohhh! I like! I am wondering if you have a build thread on this very interesting project? If not, I hope you will start one soon. I would like to make one also and maybe a little bigger.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:18 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Tsavah

Thanks for the thumbs up. I've just added a sketch with dimensions, I used to build the F-84 here's the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479991
Also I did take some photos of the build as I went along, I'll get them downloaded off my phone and post them later or tomorrow.
I hope that helps, all the best
Andy

PS I like reading your posts on the Cartoon jet thread, those Sabre's and Mig's that Sparks builds are great.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:44 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,831 Posts
Indeed. He has hit on something I find very interesting with the cartoon jets. I did see the same idea by others before I found his thread, but the differences aren't as pronounced as some might think. Since Sparky is a kit maker, and has a lot of experience in this area, he was a good choice for me to start with. I am thinking your project might fit in well once I get a good copy made and have time to make a cartoon body for another version of this jet.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:28 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,831 Posts
Dang, you are going to have to add something to this blog entry, or make another about it to keep folks looking. We need at least a dozen more making copies and offering ideas, tips, tricks, and modifications to ponder. Any ideas? I am thinking once every other month or so should stir up more admirers like me joining in.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:41 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Dang, you are going to have to add something to this blog entry, or make another about it to keep folks looking. We need at least a dozen more making copies and offering ideas, tips, tricks, and modifications to ponder. Any ideas? I am thinking once every other month or so should stir up more admirers like me joining in.
Tsavah

Thank you my friend for your kind words. I hope that one day you, or somebody else gets around to building a version of the Thunderjet, it's so much fun and it's become my favourite flyer since I built it. I just love the way it looks and flies. I'm even thinking of some mods, that will improve the flying characteristics. I'm considering making the wing cord slightly narrower, to increase speed, but I don't want to loose too much of it's slow flight stability.
all the best
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:54 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,831 Posts
Thunder Jet - Plans and etc.

... I hope that one day you, or somebody else gets around to building a version of the [EPP] Thunderjet, ...

My plan is to start construction next month, or very soon thereafter. At the moment I am working on what I think is a simple version of the Funky Flier using FFF (fan fold foam) and some wood parts. I am posting pictures and words about the construction method as I progress with the build in my personal blog. I am focused on trying to make the model easy enough to encourage first time foam RC airplane builders to give it a try. I am hoping the pictures and information covers as many details as possible and reveals the tricks most of the experienced builders take for common knowledge.

... I'm even thinking of some mods, that will improve the flying characteristics [of the EPP Thunder Jet]. I'm considering making the wing cord slightly narrower, to increase speed, but I don't want to loose too much of it's slow flight stability. all the best Andy

You have some good ideas and I hope you share them before I start construction on my copy, or version. I would probably not go with a slightly less wide wing cord to increase airspeed potential. A thinner wing that is stiffer would do the same job and be less likely to "flutter" at the higher airspeeds.

Have you seen the details of the simple FFF Combat Wing? It is cheap to make with FFF and a little balsa, mostly sticks. You can make a FFF combat wing a bit on the thin side if the objective is a high speed "zipper". Many love the simple construction method for all sorts of full contact combat aircraft designs. Since the materials are very cost effective, most don't worry much about making contact with the other air-combat planes and taking damage.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:47 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Photos
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:22 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,831 Posts
Park Size Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
Photos
Always nice to see a few more photos of the build. I have always liked that jet and I think you have a good example of a simple build. Lately I have been playing around with a Capricorn build, which is one of those "as simple as it can get" one sheet "W" flyers. I am experimenting with a different wing cut-out. I had some scrap Blu-Core big enough to give it a go.
Last edited by Tsavah; Feb 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling ...
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Always nice to see a few more photos of the build. I have always liked that jet and I think you have a good example of a simple build. Lately I have been playing around with a Capricorn build, which is one of those "as simple as it can get" one sheet "W" flyers. I am experimenting with a different wing cut-out. I had some scrap Blu-Core big enough to give it a go.
Hi Tsavah, thanks for the friends request..
I'd like to see your experimental wing designs, have you posted any details yet, if so do you have a link?
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,831 Posts
Blog Spot - Pictures and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
Hi Tsavah, thanks for the friends request..
I'd like to see your experimental wing designs, have you posted any details yet, if so do you have a link?
Andy
All of my stuff is normally posted in my blog here in RC Groups when I have a few pictures ready. Got a lot of stuff to add, once I get the pictures ready. Did start on a Gull wing design, which is more or less a copy of another's work, but no pictures yet. I have been distracted by a "Capricorn" build at the moment. I seem to be taken by the slow flyers and the videos I have seen on the Capricorn fits the bill just fine. That reminds me, I need to take some pictures, lol. I have made a few minor modifications using scrap FFF, and will probably make a few more before I finally get to the maiden after some glide tests and installing the electronics. I tend to bounce between interests and experiments, looking to learn a few things before I get back to too many started projects. Still on weather hold. Got near an inch of snow last night after more than a few weeks of oddly warm weather.
Last edited by Tsavah; Feb 13, 2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling ...