HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
Wide variety of experiences at BH

Friends,

It appears that there are a whole range out there of experiences with BH. I have had a very good experience buying from BH. All my airplanes fly. None of the escs have burned out in flight. One of my servos failed after I crashed it. The airplanes have taken a huge beating from me as I have been expanding my flying limits. They still fly. Many times, I glued them right back at the field and kept flying...
I have not had an aircraft come apart in flight. I have always used plenty of glue on wings and control horns. I use EZ dubro connectors instead of the ones that come with BH airplanes (personal preference)and I have run the motors at low power for minutes prior to taking them out first time. I never fly a whole flight at full power. I let the ESC take a break from pass to pass. Could that cause all the failures? Or am I that lucky?

It seems that BH could streamline their customer support to be more responsive. But I also think that some people have unrealistic expectations of BH and themselves. Pete is a great pilot but people need to know that you need countless hours of practice and experience to fly like that. Same goes for putting aircraft together and prepping them for first flight (CG, checks, control check, servo throws, etc...) 90% finished means you have to build 10%. Many times RTF means that you have all major components required to fly the aircraft like motor, esc, TX, servos, etc.. not that you can plug it out of the box and go to the field. Look up the differences between RTF, ARF, PNP, BNF, KIT
I see many videos with improper wind conditions, aircraft cg, aircraft build etc.. on their maiden flight. Is that BH's fault?
All the 50 mm, 64mm, 70 mm have the same motor and esc, about the same weight and similar wing area. If you think there is something magic about yours that is a design flaw you are probably wrong. More likely than not the Tx is not commanding full throttle, or the CG is wrong (move the battery) or the control horns were not mounted properly etc..

I'm not implying that BH is a perfect company, but us customers are sometimes at fault.
Having said that, If you are missing parts on arrival BH needs to address this type of problem ASAP and more importantly prevent it from happening in the future since those mistakes will result in fewer customers and the company will be less profitable. After all, we are in this hobby for enjoyment.I have no doubt that BH will make something right if it's their fault. That has been my experience.

I also wish that people stop the personal attacks and insults towards BH and Pete particularly. Nobody will have sympathy or respect towards when you lash out with personal insults.
pedrosura is offline Find More Posts by pedrosura
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:54 PM
So Calif
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
There is nothing personal about a corporate attitude of: "I've got your money - whatever happened is your fault - now bugger off". That obviously isn't a quote but that is the taste that was left in my mouth - and more than once. I had an ESC fail after two minutes of the first flight. There was no crash, no physical damage, just a noticeable loss of power, followed by loud banging coming out of the motor after landing and smoke coming from the ESC. I called and was told that I had obviously done something wrong - they weren't there, didn't witness anything, just that it had to be my fault. I was accused of having burned it up by doing extensive WOT bench testing prior. No such thing occurred. I pointed it out that this had occurred at what had been Pete's home field and a number of pilots that knew him, had witnessed it. I was then accused of having taxied at 100%, burning up the ESC. That is absurd. I have posted on Youtube a video of the first take off. It was at less than WOT and was airborne in just about one second. What fool taxis at 100%? What fool throws this out as a reason for the circumstances - knowing absolutely nothing as to what transpired? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1560159&page=2
I had to point out that I could collect a dozen signatures from people that knew Pete, that this had not happened. BTW, I don't see Pete there anymore but his father still flys there. When the replacement ESC failed again, it behaved just like what this fellow demos in a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Vr2AoV5lcEM

The same symptoms from the same product, from the same vendor. It is a demonstrable design/equipment failure. Here's another one, same plane, different vendor -
Starmax Mustang maiden (0 min 48 sec)

I buy a brand new plane. I am putting it together and a retract fails - extends and then refuses to retract. The two other retracts - they all work fine. Simple issue - bad gear - get a new one. NO! It takes 3 hours on "live chat" going back and forth over what could be wrong. I live 30 mins from BH, I offer to drive it over and let them see it. NO! Two retracts work - one doesn't - relayed from PETE: "It is an end point adjustment problem." I am told to call Futaba and find out what the setting should be! Two retracts work just fine and one doesn't move at all and it is a setting problem?!?!? How can they all be on the same channel and one doesn't work and it be an end point adjustment? Keep in mind that this is my second identical plane and the same settings worked all 3 in the first plane. How does that work? What a load of crap!
How can you continue to sell stuff like this to people and tell them it is something they did? Must have taken lessons from Bernie Madoff - No, it's not personal - it's corporate, it is greed, it is wrong!
Propnuts is offline Find More Posts by Propnuts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, TN, White House
Joined Oct 2011
126 Posts
When you taxi at 100% isn't that called taking off. How do you taxi at 100%?
soopertrucker is offline Find More Posts by soopertrucker
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:11 AM
So Calif
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
100% throttle taxi

I don't know either - ask BH. They apparently hire tech support - "live chat" people who's greatest skill is that of typing. This three hour live chat was incessantly delayed by the need to go out and contact someone in "another department". That is to say, whoever you are "talking" to, isn't a tech, isn't someone who can help you or answer questions. With a set up like that, they apparently aren't there to help you with problems. They are there to sell you something. Try this on for size - 3 hours of typing back and forth, and nothing is resolved.

June: do you have the planes at your site
Eric : Yes, it is the right retract as viewed from above, looking towards the motor.
Eric : That is, from the rear of the plane, towards the front.
June: thank you
June: can i please have you look at the right retract to see if the wire is plug in correctly
Eric : The black wire connects to the black wire - all thru the wiring harness. The left retract works, the right one doesn't
June: can i please have you a closer look at the wire did it seem anything wrong to it
Eric : No, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. Remember, it worked once - and only once. I didn't touch the wire, I just flipped the retract switch. 3 gears came down, 2 went up.
Eric : I plug other retracts into the wire coming out of the receiver and they work.
June: I will be right with you. Thank you for your patience.
June: when you flip the switch for the retract is there any thing that you can tell us like smoke as an example
Eric : No, no smoke, no smell, no noise, no movement - nothing.
Eric : Just one side works, the other doesn't.
June: Dear Customer, we apologize for the delay. Our Customer Service Representatives are working diligently to assist you. Please stay online with us while we fix this problem and will get back to you as soon as we can. If the connection gets interrupted for any reason, please re-log onto this Live Support Chat system during working hours and our next available Customer Service Representative will serve you shortly. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
June: Thank you for your patience and cooperation. Just want to let you know that I have not forgotten about you, but I will be right back with you. I'm still waiting for the response from another department. Sorry about that & Thank you.
June: Thank you for your patience and cooperation. Just want to let you know that I have not forgotten about you, but I will be right back with you. I'm still waiting for the response from another department. Sorry about that & Thank you.
June: may i please have you tell me what time of radio system are you using
Eric : Futaba 7ch 2.4Ghz
June: how long have you test it for?
June: the planes
Eric : I don't understand - test what? The retract? I put the plane together. Left the country for 1 1/2 weeks, came back, got around to hooking up the radio to the servos and zeroing out the control surfaces. The last thing to be connected was the retracts I plugged in the retracts, the retracts were up. I flicked the channel 5 switch (retracts) and they (all three, two mains and the tailwheel) came down. I flipped the 5th channel switch again and the left main and the tailwheel retracted - the right main retract did not move. It did not make a noise, it was just stuck in the down position. Since then nothing has changed. Changing wires, plugging in only the one retract, nothing makes it move - nothing.
June: ok
June: may i ask have you adjust the travel/end points for the retracts?
Eric : No, they are at the factory settings. The other retracts all function fine, other planes with retracts function fine. It is just this one retract - 2 out of the 3 retracts on this plane work as they are supposed to. The retracts that do work, do not make noise, they are not binding, they do not chatter, the servo setting for the two that do move, that do work is fine. There cannot be different settings for different retracts in the same plane. What works for one, works for all. This one retract is defective - period.
Eric : This can't be this difficult. The retract is defective. I am going to have to post the results of this in RC Groups. I don't think anyone in the online RC community would believe this. We have been going back and forth over this for more than an hour. I have offered to drive this out to you to let you see it. I could have had it there in under half an hour. What is so difficult? June: i understand its not but we are follow the policy to find out is there anything else that could be wrong
Eric : I had another P-51 from you guys and had to go thru 3 ESC's before I got one that would work for more than 2 minutes. I finally drove it out to you, you kept the plane for 3 weeks and finally agreed the ESC was defective. It isn't like I hadn't brought defective product back to you before.
June: i understand sir
June: may i please what is the EPA adjust for the retract?
Eric : What does that mean?
June: may i please know the adjustment of the EPA for the retract?
June: its on your controller
Eric : Let me look it up
Eric : It is at 100%
Eric : The book for the radio says that retract servos are not proportional. "Changing end point will not adjust servo travel." (page 31 of the Futaba 7C 2.4 Ghz radio manual)
June: Dear Customer, we apologize for the delay. Our Customer Service Representatives are working diligently to assist you. Please stay online with us while we fix this problem and will get back to you as soon as we can. If the connection gets interrupted for any reason, please re-log onto this Live Support Chat system during working hours and our next available Customer Service Representative will serve you shortly. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
June: please hold im trying to contact our head tech pete about the adjustment of the retract
June: on the EPA reason it could burn the retract if its not in the right setting
Eric : Interesting. There is absolutely nothing in the documentation that comes with the plane that says anything about that. And why, do you suppose, 2 work just fine - and one quits - all under the same setting? I have had one other of this same plane and it had no problems with the retracts. Are you going to tell me that the appropriate setting varies from plane to plane?
June: i understand but for each control it has a different setting for the plane so to be saft if there is anything we would need customer to contact us to help to find out what could be the problem
June: and as of right now im contacting out heag pete for the adjustment of the EPA
June: from what i know from pete that you would need to change the number on the gear channel
June: im asking him for the detail
June: please hold
Eric : You have to be kidding me. I have had this plane before and no adjustment of the retract EPA or of the channel was necessary. One (and only one) retract failed - right after being cycled once. This will make for exceptional reading in RC Groups on the web.
June: Hi
June: our head pete has finally answer
Eric : It has been almost 3 hours - can we wrap this up?
June: he ask if you can contact you Futaba for the adjustment of the retract please
June: im soo sorry for taking so long
Eric : What? Now it is a Futaba problem? Had this same plane and same radio in at your shop before and no one said anything needed adjustment - and that was after you kept it for three weeks!
Eric : Never mind, I will be filing a civil suit against Banana Hobby and spreading this story all over the web. This is incredible!
Eric : Pete can pay for the parts, the cost of the suit and my time for having to go thru all of this.
June: im sorrry
Eric : Does this "I'm sorry" mean we are done? Tell me if we are so I can head off to the web and then put the papers together for small claims court. What is Pete's last name so I get it right on the court papers? 3:56 PM 12/22/11
working diligently to assist you. Please stay online with us while we fix this problem and will get back to you as soon as we can. If the connection gets interrupted for any reason, please re-log onto this Live Support Chat system during working hours and our next available Customer Service Representative will serve you shortly. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
4:00 PM 12/22/11

June: im sorry i dont know pete last name sir
Eric : Is that it? Are we done? Your last, best answer is it is a Futaba problem? This is not going to do Banana Hobby any good. There is honesty, integrity and customer service - none of which Banana Hobby possesses. 4:07

Eric : Are you getting these question are your own, or is someone telling you what to say? This is the second identical Mustang I have bought from BH. None of this was an issue with the first one. The gear worked fine, just the way the very same radio is set up now. It was the ESC's that were a piece of junk. The first two lasted only two minutes each. I had to leave the plane there with you. I brought the radio gear to BH. You guys looked at it. You said nothing about adjusting retracts - they worked fine. Two of three of the current one work fine - one failed after one cycle. How can identical retracts require different settings? One setting is OK for two retracts but not OK for the third? Does that make sense? I know how to adjust the EPA. The Futaba book says adjusting the EPA doesn't affect the travel of retracts. So what sense does that make? 4:18
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:49 PM
So Calif
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
More of the same - and this from someone who knows

Check this one out.
Banana Hobby Buyer Beware! R/C junk jet! (5 min 3 sec)
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Jun 2011
11 Posts
There's always another side..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnuts View Post
Well, i actually have this airplane and it flies.. He said that it is to heavy for the motor. Not true.. Same 50 mm as in all the other 50 mm edfs. The weight is about a pound. It is not a bad flying airplane. The only issue with that airplane is the cg. The battery needs to be where the pilot is. I took out the piló and painted the canopy black.
It seems that the person who did the video did not set the esc to the full tx throtttle range. Plug bat in with throttle at full, then move throttle to idle and wait for the beep. He said the motor was hardly blowing. Sounded like an esc setup problem..
This is a $65 airplane with a motor, batt, esc and airplane!It flies. It is not a beginner airplane. You need to understand about cg and realize the batt has to go in the front.. To rip BH apart for this makes no sense.. Btw i assume his motor and esc worked which from the video it appeared they did. One mistake BH does is making people think that because these edfs look simple they make a great beginner plane and that is not true. This plane is not for a beginner. As far as putting it together and then flying it. It moves fast and it is very responsive in roll. The T45, F22, ad F18 are much easier to handle and they are still not a beginner plane.
pedrosura is offline Find More Posts by pedrosura
Last edited by pedrosura; Jan 01, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
He it is Banna hobby sucks and i would not buy a dead chicken from them as they would send me a alive duck. i am in the prossess of small claims with them i filed today
shawphill is offline Find More Posts by shawphill
Old Jan 08, 2012, 10:31 AM
So Calif
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
Need papers served on them?

I live within 20 miles of them and might be able to help if you need papers served. It would give me great pleasure. Been a BH victim too many times. Probably why they are moving.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
I have been dealing with Banana Hobby for a while now and they have been good. I however received an email today asking for a picture of my credit card (front and back) and my id to prove who I was. Are you F%$#ing serious!? Has this banana hobby turned into a fraud outfit? Or was it alway?? Heres the email.. enjoy...Dear Valued Customer,

This is an automated message, please reply us to status@bananahobby.com or contact us via "Live Support" on our website during business hours. Thank you.

Due to increased security, our Accounting Department requires you to submit as below:
1. A copy of an identification card (photo ID), credit card (front and back) with a same name
2. Name of card issuer
3. Telephone number of the card issuer.
4. The bill-to address for the credit card.

This is needed to verify that you are indeed the person who has placed this order of.

In order for us to process you order on time, please kindly E-mail us back at status@bananahobby.com with all the information that we requested as above.

If you do not comply with these instructions, we will not be able to process your order. For further information or concerns, please reply to this email at status@bananahobby.com or contact us via "Live Support" through our website from Mondays to Fridays from 9:00 AM to 6 PM Pacific Standard Time.

We apologize for any delay and inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Customer Service
Banana Hobby
pilot88 is offline Find More Posts by pilot88
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Always use PayPal (it's FREE !!) to keep the vendor from doing something like that above ^^, which is pretty ridiculous to ask of a customer IMO ... just sayin'.

I bought a Sky Surfer from Banana Hobby last week and everything went very smooth. No problems with the transaction or shipping. Received it promptly in perfect condition. Haven't put it together and flown it yet, but don't anticipate any issues.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:59 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,074 Posts
I am disappointed in BH. I decided to give them a shot even after all the negative comments I have read and now wish I hadn't.

My wife bought me a DH 9104 for Christmas. Since then I have flown it 6 or 7 times. On the 14th of January, I took it out and 2-3 minutes into the flight, the main motor seized up and my heli dropped like a rock from 25 feet in the air.

The damage? Main motor seized, main gear teeth stripped, balance bar bent, canopy cracked in several places, and the canopy clips that hold the rear of the canopy broke off.

The heli was under a 30 day warranty beginning from the delivery date of Dec 21st. I called and spoke with Anita from BH that following Monday and explained to her what had happened. She told me the heli was still under warranty and she would forward the info to their technicians for review.

I recieved an e-mail 2 days later saying that I could order replacement parts through their website and to prevent future problems with the heli, it should be better maintained.

I called back to clarify the e-mail since it didn't explain if they were going to honor the warranty.

I spoke with a gentleman and he said that they wouldn't cover anything because the heli wasn't properly maintained, but feel free to order the replacement parts through their website.

WHAT!!!! How do you maintain a maintainance free motor!!!??? It's encased in steel, has 2 wires with a plug and a gear on it. What's to maintain? It only had 90 minutes of run time. Do they not last any longer than that?

I went ahead and looked up the parts on the BH website and found it would cost $17.00 + S&H to replace the main motor, main gear, canopy clips, balance bar and canopy. Not alot, but I shouldn't have to pay for them. The $7.00 motor failing is what caused all the rest of the damage.

I argued this with the gentleman I spoke with and he said he would resubmit my case but I haven"t heard anything back from them and don't expect too.

It's unfortunate that a business is going to allow $17.00 to come between them and a good customer relationship.

In a few months, I was looking to purchase the new Blitz RC Works Matrix 250 R for $399 before all this happened. I had even told my brother who is in the heli hobby about the Matrix and he too was going to purchase one next month. After my experience with BH, my brother and I have both agreed that it would be better to go elsewhere.

I had also been looking at the newer Walkera V200D03 and have found that the Matrix 250 R that BH claims to be their new Blitz RC Works heli is actually a Walkera V200D03. Pete even claims in his video about the Matrix, quote, "had my hand in the developmental processes with the manufacturer" in making the Matrix built by Blitz RC Works. This heli is a Walkera V200D03 with a different paint scheme and the Blitz RC Works name slapped on it. That's it! I would much rather purchase the name brand Walkera V200D03 from another supplier such as Wow Hobbies, XHeli, or Hobby Wing. They go for the same price or less and my brother and I have had much better customer service from those suppliers.

I guess it was a good thing all this happened with my DH 9104, because I would have made a much more costly error later on. My brother and I will take our $800.00 elswhere.

I suggest others do the same. No sense paying big bucks for a name brend heli converted to a house brand, no name heli, where you will be stuck with bad customer service and rediculous excuses about not maintaining the product properly voiding your warranty before it even expires.

Unhappy customer......
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:31 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,074 Posts
Why buy from a company who purchases name brand aircraft, then turns around and slaps the Blitz RC Works name on it and calls it thier own. It's a scam!!!

The Blitz RC Works name is apparently BH's house brand and they claim to build thier own products under that name. They then turn around and sell them for the same price as the name brand products and don't even provide good customer service or support for them. BS!

I have been researching their helicopters and this is what I have found so far:

Blitz RC Works Matrix 250 R (http://www.bananahobby.com/2231.html) = Walkera V200D03 (http://www.helipal.com/walkera-hm-v2...m-edition.html)

Blitz RC Works Rogue 500 (http://www.bananahobby.com/1874.html) = Art Tech Genius 500 V2 (http://www.art-tech.cn/english/Artic...?ArticleID=290)

Blitz RC Works Contra (http://www.bananahobby.com/2146.html) = Walkera V200D02 (http://www.xheli.com/walkeraheli-v20...2-rtf-lcd.html)

I would definately steer clear of BH. I have looked BH up on the Better Business Bureau and found that they have an "F" rating through them. I have learned my lesson and will not use them again.

I will also continue to research their aircraft to see who else they are stealing thier so called Blitz RC Works products from and calling thier own.
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Walkera sells their heli line under many different names. Blitzworks, Exceed, Buzzfly and even Novus through Great Planes. It's laughable if Pete really claims to somehow be "involved in their development"
Maybe if involved means speaking to Walkera to broker the deal to have them produced for them under their re bagged name (which Walkera will do for anyone that orders a certain amount of units) They are the same helis produced in the same factory by the same people as the Walkera originals. In many cases the re bagged versions have less options (more plastic and less metal) and are older, first versions that Walkera no longer sells or a particular model, yet the rebagged versions are sold for more money than the current updated Walkera version.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:38 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
I know the Sky Surfer plane that BH sells is more advanced than the Blitz version of the same plane. The BH version has many design improvements over the Blitz brand which is still selling older versions of the plane. I think this is one case where BH is definitely involved with the evolution of the product they sell under their own name, even if the plane is made in the same factory as the Blitz brand.

Anyone with enough money can contract these RC manufacturing factories to make whatever version/improvements they want to the standard product the factory produces, and then slap their own name on the product as mentioned by Xrayted above.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
I had also been looking at the newer Walkera V200D03 and have found that the Matrix 250 R that BH claims to be their new Blitz RC Works heli is actually a Walkera V200D03. Pete even claims in his video about the Matrix, quote, "had my hand in the developmental processes with the manufacturer" in making the Matrix built by Blitz RC Works. This heli is a Walkera V200D03 with a different paint scheme and the Blitz RC Works name slapped on it. That's it!
Actually it has a plastic rotor head and swashplate instead of metal but other than that it's a V200D03. I wouldn't be surprised if the Devo 8 re-badge they are selling with it is the 10mw version instead of the 100mw also (surprising that it doesn't come with the Devil 7 instead)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull