HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:08 AM
United States, NC, King
Joined Mar 2009
160 Posts
I just brought a 50MM A-4 that was on sale for Halloween and everything came in perfect and I even got a free battery. Of course the fan was not very well balanced but that is nothing major.
mgrande11 is offline Find More Posts by mgrande11
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,561 Posts
Seeing you guys have had some recent success I will try them when I get my pay check at the end of the month and post my results. I like their 25" wingspan F-22 with landing gear, but I will take a second look at what they have before I purchase as a different model might catch my eye.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
Well, after having a great experience with Nitro (b-25) I decided along with a friend to try BH.
Here's our stories:
My buddy ordered a Cub supposedly ready to fly. When he got it, no radio system, no charger, and there were two batteries instead of one. I took a look and said return it. He didn't want to and called BH to get the missing parts. That's two weeks ago!
He had me build it for him and suprise, half the landing gear assembly is missing, the glue was completely dry and there is no esc! Needless to say, he's going to be making a trip to the local store to complete the plane.
I ordered the new Pitts S12 supposedly ready to fly. Also ordered an extra battery and extra prop.
Mine was missing all radio gear, extra items I ordered, and the box was marked wrong for the package I ordered.
2 hours online chatting, got them to issue an RMA and agree to a full refund after telling them I was handing this situation to my credit card company. (who is currently investigating the sale)
Sent the plane back and after two weeks still have no refund. At least my CC company has said I won't be responsible for the charges as I sent them proof BH received the plane.

I am simply stating facts here as I don't feel like putting my true feelings about BH out there!
Glad some people have had luck but two of us here have had the worst customer service and purchase experience of our lives with these people!
yipDog is offline Find More Posts by yipDog
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined May 2011
59 Posts
That blows man but as they say crap happens. At least your not out any money but still sucks you don't have the Pitts.

I've had nothing but good experiences with them and the same for the people i personally know that order from them.

Personally I don't order anything online during this time of the year unless its from a retail store that is in close proximity to me. Carriers are so loaded down and under-staffed or under-trained. Same for resalers, not being properly staffed to handle the influx of orders that need to be shipped out. Not that this is an excuse, just why I don't order things in Dec through Feb.
Landiin is offline Find More Posts by Landiin
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:15 AM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,837 Posts
[QUOTE=JohnCorbin;18909138]I would like some opinions from other customers of BH before I buy a BlitzrcWorks EDF Thrust Vectoring F-16. I am a beginner, and I've heard this jet is good for beginners. Anybody like to help me out?[/QUOTE
I have purchased from Banana Hobby always! Happy Holidays!
volcomsnows2k is online now Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by banana hobby; Dec 20, 2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:45 AM
United States, CA
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
This is Pete chiming in. First of all if you are a total beginner, do not get an EDF period. There are no issues purchasing from Banana Hobby what-so-ever. Like any other TOP vendor, there are more goods than bads posted. Take T-Mobile for example. By all means ask questions. I do no push any person to take a F-16 as a first RC Aircraft. I do the best I can to teach and share about RC. Ultimately, it will be the consumers disaggregation. We can only do so much here. Ask and I will answer asap. Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Pete
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
BUYER BEWARE dealing with BH

THIS BUSINESS IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED
Banana Hobby
(626) 248-2888

602 Monterey Pass Road, Monterey Park, CA 91754-2419

http://www.BananaHobby.com

On a scale of A+ to F

Reason for Rating

BBB Ratings System Overview
Share Print
X Print OptionsPrint this page

Description
This company's business is the sales of a wide selection of radio controlled and remote controlled electric and Nitro aircraft, RC model, boats, tanks, cars and trucks.
BBB Accreditation

This business is not BBB Accredited.

Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.

To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.

Why Accreditation Revoked
On March 17th 2011, this company's accreditation with the BBB was revoked by the BBB's Board of Directors due to failure to promptly respond to all complaints forwarded by BBB & eliminate the underlying cause of complaints on file with the BBB concerning a pattern of shipping, billing, and product quality related complaints.

Reason for Rating
BBB rating is based on 16 factors. Get the details about the factors considered.

Factors that lowered this business's rating include:

Length of time business has been operating
BBB Accreditation was revoked because business failed to honor its accreditation agreement with BBB
375 complaint(s) filed against business
Failure to respond to 6 complaint(s) filed against business
6 complaint(s) filed against business that were not resolved

Customer Complaints Summary
374 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 96 closed in last 12 months Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints
Advertising / Sales Issues 71
Billing / Collection Issues 19
Problems with Product / Service 222
Delivery Issues 47
Guarantee / Warranty Issues 15
Total Closed Complaints 374

Additional Complaint Information

Complainants allege a pattern of shipping, billing, and product quality related complaints. Some customers complain that merchandise arrives defective, inoperable or that wrong merchandise is received. In some cases, complainants allege that due to manufacturing defects or design flaws, thier hobbycraft crashes the first time used, and they encounter dificulties with refunds or exchanges. Some customers complain they should not be required to pay shipping or handling charges for returns on incorrect or defective items. Other customers allege they return products, but the company fails to send an exchange or issue a refund. The company responds to most complaints by shipping orders, agreeing to exchanges, or issuing refunds. The company denies most requests for reimbursement of shipping costs. They contend that their shipping policies are posted on their website, and customers should read the policy before agreeing to make the purchase.
raywayne is offline Find More Posts by raywayne
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:54 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
[QUOTE=raywayne;20206719]THIS BUSINESS IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED
Banana Hobby
(626) 248-2888

602 Monterey Pass Road, Monterey Park, CA 91754-2419

http://www.BananaHobby.com

While I am not saying BH is perfect I have not had any issues with any of my purchases or support requests from them. The purchases included a SkySurfer RTF, 6 ch flight simulator, LIPO battery bag, spare wings, fuselage, tail, elevator, props and hardware. Each package was delivered within the estimated time without any damage or missing parts. I now have a complete set of body parts and hardware in case I need something for an emergency repair.

The biggest issue I had was with manual for the initial radio & receiver set-up that came with the RTF. The issue was quickly resolved with an email. The BH Techs got back to me the next day with the resolution along with additional information that might help me with future questions or issues.

I feel bad that others have had issues with BH but I have also read about similar issues for most of the other RC plane suppliers.

As far as I am concerned it is buyers beware for just about anything that is purchased via the web. Some days its good other not.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Dec 23, 2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Deleted majority of quoted post.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:25 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
^that... Even if there is some issues, can't except top notch equipment for their prices... Which is why I like how they sell parts and kits as well.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Feb 2008
37 Posts
So I will ask !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana hobby View Post
This is Pete chiming in. First of all if you are a total beginner, do not get an EDF period. There are no issues purchasing from Banana Hobby what-so-ever. Like any other TOP vendor, there are more goods than bads posted. Take T-Mobile for example. By all means ask questions. I do no push any person to take a F-16 as a first RC Aircraft. I do the best I can to teach and share about RC. Ultimately, it will be the consumers disaggregation. We can only do so much here. Ask and I will answer asap. Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Pete
I just placed this order online. (yhst-39858413893234-192234) I got an email stating the item is "OUT OF STOCK" ! Just my luck, I happened to place my order as the last one was sold !!!!!! Please check my order and let me know what happened. I have sent a response to the Live Chat cancelling the plane. !!! Bummer ! I was so looking forward to this Christmas present ! Not so Happy Holidays
mrstude is offline Find More Posts by mrstude
Old Dec 25, 2011, 03:17 AM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Yea, two weeks later I got an email saying one of the planes I ordered was out of stock in the sceme I had picked... Had to pick another one and then they shipped the plane... You win some and lose some.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Dec 25, 2011, 02:17 PM
So Calif
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
I HAVE bought from BH and will never again. 3 times and they all had problems. I got them to do some replacement but it was always a major struggle, coupled with threats by me to go public with their refusal to honor their warranty and absurd assertions that whatever was broken, I was somehow at fault. Most recently a servoless retract failed after being extended just once. The other main and tailwheel extended and cycled repeatedly just fine. Somehow it was an endpoint adjustment problem and I needed to talk to Futaba. I had a previous copy of the same plane and that gear cycled just fine. Now, BH didn't know what the setting should be, but I had to talk to Futaba to get an end point adjustment that would make one gear start working, when the stock EPA worked just fine on the other gear in the plane. Makes no sense at all. Just a con to get out having to send a replacement part. Remember, this plane hasn't been flown, hasn't left my living room, but it's my fault since I didn't set it up right and even BH doesn't know the correct setting - and that from Pete himself. I have the live chat "support" dialogue if anyone wants to read it.
Propnuts is offline Find More Posts by Propnuts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:44 PM
So Calif
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
Couple of videos to demo quality

Found a couple of YouTube videos that demo that quality of what is being sold. The planes aren't made by BH, just sold. One is by StarMax but it is the same plane. The question is: Do you want to trust your hard earned money into something that has demonstrable problems and failures and then get told it was something you did that caused it to fail? Watch the top link first and you won't be surprised when you see the maiden flight in the second. This plane shouldn't be sold like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Vr2AoV5lcEM

Starmax Mustang maiden (0 min 48 sec)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Feb 2008
37 Posts
So I will ask #2

I have recieved an Email stating my money has been refunded. I have to say, I am happy with the response from Banana up to this point. These guys have what appears to be so great products. I hope they can straighten out their issues !
mrstude is offline Find More Posts by mrstude
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:09 PM
So Calif
Joined Mar 2009
121 Posts
It takes more than looks.

I see a number of folks on this forum complaining about Banana Hobby's correct (incorrect) fulfilling of orders and the quality of the merchandise, i.e., broken, missing, or wrong, right out of the box. Some are really upset at the beginning, particularly after they have been "blown off" or are at least unable to connect to a person who can, or will, help them. In a business law class they teach about real and implied warrantys. One of the implied warranties is that of merchantability, that is:
The warranty of merchantability is implied, unless expressly disclaimed by name, or the sale is identified with the phrase "as is" or "with all faults." To be "merchantable", the goods must reasonably conform to an ordinary buyer's expectations, i.e., they are what they say they are. For example, a fruit that looks and smells good but has hidden defects would violate the implied warranty of merchantability if its quality does not meet the standards for such fruit "as passes ordinarily in the trade". - from Wikipedia.

There is no such disclaimer in BH's advertising. Below is what the web site does say:
"When you purchase anything from BananaHobby.com, we guarantee you quality merchandise that you will be satisfied in owning, or you may return it (unused in original packaging) for a prompt, courteous refund or exchange!"

"Satisfied in owning" - not using, not flying, not putting to its intended use - just owning. BH further requires that you return the item(s) unused, in its original packaging. How do you determine that something isn't a piece of crap unless you take it out and see if it works? You get a plane with pre-installed servos. You can see they are there, but you can't see if they work until you at least assemble the plane. Right there, on the face of it, by BH's standards, he "has" you. You opened the package, and "used" it, i.e., spun the motor, worked the gear, moved the control surfaces. Would you buy a car under those circumstances? "I'm sorry sir, you started the car and turned on the: AC, radio, wipers, put it in drive, turned the wheel" (pick one). Would you say it was reasonable to believe that upon leaving the dealer's lot: (1) a tire came off the car and killed someone, (2) the brake pedal fell to the floor and you ran over a pedestrian, the steering linkage broke and you plowed uncontrolled into oncoming traffic? Again pick one. When we take an RC plane up, we are putting ourselves at risk for nearly similar damages. There is an implied warranty of merchantability that the product is good for the services for which it was intended, i.e., RC flight. If you look at those instances where Pete has personally replied, he has made comments to the effect of he won't back a plane that has been flown and crashed (ostensibly due to first flight failure of hinges or servos). He says if he replaced every plane that crashed and the customer asserted it was a part failure on the first flight he'd be out of business. There is a reasonable expectation that a plane, and I have found quite a number of videos across the web, on Youtube and other RC sites wherein someone has posted a video of the first flight failure of a BH product. You can see it take off, see it fly and suddenly go out of control and crash. Immediate post crash analysis on the video shows that an aileron or elevator servo failed and yet BH blows them off. BH will say that they did something wrong, exceeded limits or it was a build failure. Below is a scan of the instructions for the assembly of the 63" Mustang. It is the ultimate in high tech instructions. My favorite is:
"Fix two main wings together and connect wires rightly." It is a six channel set up with numberous "Y's". There are at least 10 servo wires and two unmarked wires for the nav lights. Just remember to "connect them rightly". The other confidence builder is the packet of spare hinges labeled:
"There have some hinges for theAileron & rudder & elevator which broken connector"

It takes more than good prices and a decent appearance to make me want to buy a plane. I have to have some assurance that this has a chance of surviving its first flight and that I am not going to take out some guy on the ground because some cheap ass part failed.