HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2011, 02:36 PM
Mad Basher
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Discussion
E-Maxx or HPI Savage Flux HP?

Hi guys.

I am looking for a basher RC that can take a lot of damage and is really fast. It also needs to be waterproof. (So I can't go brushless with E-Maxx) I've heard HPI is tons faster than E-Maxx and HPI is a GREAT Basher. I am also considering the Savage 2350. I don't really care about racing I'm more of a basher. I also don't like spending 150+ on upgrades. If it was a nitro such as the T-Maxx all I would pay for is a reverse tranny but thats it. I am also considering cost because those 3 trucks are really expensive. If there is a used one on eBay or Amazon I wouldn't mind having a look at it.

TY
PureTen is offline Find More Posts by PureTen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:27 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 2006
1,168 Posts
The Flux is not water proof. Castle puts a conformal coating on the esc boards, but they are not really even water resistant. They will handle a little water, but much beyond that and the escs at risk of shorting. Seen too many that drive thru a puddle and do fine for a little while and then just quit never to come back.

Flux is a great basher, going to be hard to beat. I have an modded Emaxx that was brushless (back to stock now, I moved the brushless setup up to my FLM EMaxx) and there's little comparison to eh Flux. The 2350 is good, but if you can swing the extra the Flux HP is worth it to be able to run 5S and 6S for higher speeds and torque and the better stock 2.4 radio.
Duster_360 is offline Find More Posts by Duster_360
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
If you want to water proof the esc just dip it in some plastidip. Keep in mind that the esc will run hot after that though.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:01 AM
Mad Basher
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Ok thanks but I was also thinking about the Savage XS Flux because it is waterproof plus it is the worlds fastest mini. Also another question is the 2350 waterproof? And where do I get plastidip?

EDIT: Ok well I was thinking of replacing the ESC of the HP Flux then simply installing a waterproof one. Is that possible? Or other electronics not watertight as well? E.G. Servos, Engine, etc.
Last edited by PureTen; Jul 31, 2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Adding something
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:49 AM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
hmm im going to go against the flow and say the MMM esc is definatley water proof, i drove mine into a damn and it survived with no damage at all, but if you want you can go on youtube and look up squirrelod's video on how to water proof the MMM esc completely, this method he uses allows you to drive under water if you really want to lol.
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:14 AM
Mad Basher
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Ok well if I waterproof the ESC squirrelod's way will I have to waterproof the servo as well?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 03:25 AM
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
unless you quite seriously want to drive underwater no, also how much water do yu intend to drive through? as the batteries will have to be water proofed if you want to drive underwater, aswell as the receiver.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:34 PM
Mad Basher
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Wet grass and snow, and if there is no snow then small puddles. And how do you waterproof the batteries?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 05:08 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 2006
1,168 Posts
The 2350 is not 'waterproof' either . It uses a re-badged Castle Creations MMP esc and it has just the conformal coating as well.

The thing about the plasti-dip - it voids any warranty you would have either thru HPI or Castle.

The Sav XS Flux has not been released and no one knows what makes it 'waterproof' yet. It may simply be that they are running the esc in a waterproof box.

To water proof lipos -make them so water can't get inside them. I've seen them ballooned or dipped in something like plasti-dip.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:55 PM
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
To make the batteries water proof is easier then the esc or reciever as all you need is to seal the holes were water can get to the terminals, i did this with my helis battery when i did my "waterproof 450" stint a week back and it worked fine, of course for a car your going to want something a little more reliable and secure, so id advise something like silicon in the bit were all the wires are soldered on and just a smear around the edge of the wrapping.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:02 PM
Mad Basher
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Ok. But it's all that hassle so I was thinking of buying the Savage and simply not running it in wet conditions at all... Or I could buy the XS Flux. Anyway, thank you so much for all your help guys, I will take my options and consider each one. Thanks!
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:50 AM
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
no prob, but one thing i havent seen anyone mention is that the savage flux can take abit of water stock anyway, its not like if you drive in a mist its going to short out, my friend drives through very shallow puddles and in a light-medium rain with everything stock with no problem.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:42 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Batteries don't need to be water proofed unless you plan to run the car submerged.

You'll need the RX and ESC waterproofed for sure though. Liquid tape works well on both, and shouldn't increase the heat in the ESC.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:39 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 2006
1,168 Posts
I'd still bag them or something - wouldn't want a lipo with condensation inside after it cools off from running in wet conditions.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:01 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
The individual cells are 100% sealed, the only place that could get moist would be the wiring between the cells. I know of enough people that have had boats sink with lipos onboard (and plugged in!) and go un-rescued for days only to have the packs in perfect shape once brought up from the bottom and left to dry for a couple hours.

There's obviously no harm in bagging them, but IMO it's not something you need to do. I would worry about my servo before a lipo pack.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons