HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:37 AM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Russia, Kamchatka Krai, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Joined Nov 2004
549 Posts
cracksmeup;

So far, I've been pleased with my dealings with Tower and really like my Great Planes PBY Catalina. You're absolutely right, however, that their are a lot of marginal (if not outright junk) products out there. I have a Horizon Hobby E-flite Aeronca Champ, 15e ARF which I like a lot, but it had a number of significant quality problems with it. Once these problems were sorted out, the Champ became one of my favorites.

If you are interested in more economical alternatives to Great Planes gear for the Widgeon, look at Thomas B's Post #68 in this thread. I'm not experienced enough to recommend alternatives, but I've read a lot of Thomas B's threads over the years and would trust his recommendations.

Cheers,
Grog
capngrog is offline Find More Posts by capngrog
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:02 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngrog View Post
cracksmeup;

So far, I've been pleased with my dealings with Tower and really like my Great Planes PBY Catalina. You're absolutely right, however, that their are a lot of marginal (if not outright junk) products out there. I have a Horizon Hobby E-flite Aeronca Champ, 15e ARF which I like a lot, but it had a number of significant quality problems with it. Once these problems were sorted out, the Champ became one of my favorites.

If you are interested in more economical alternatives to Great Planes gear for the Widgeon, look at Thomas B's Post #68 in this thread. I'm not experienced enough to recommend alternatives, but I've read a lot of Thomas B's threads over the years and would trust his recommendations.

Cheers,
Grog
Iam very pleased with horizon hobbys products , I have ordered their i-con 5 and i just traded a fellow flyer one of my scratch built small warbirds for a apprentice trainer with raidio for my son. I bought the pby when they first came out and bought their motors and esc,s also but if i would buy one now i would buy motors and esc,s some where else. I have been building and flying for 35 years so i have plenty of nitro and gas planes .Its been the last 7 or 8 years i have started to build e planes and buy some arf electricts. I also only fly off of water for the past 10 years and have tons of seaplanes ,nitro and electrict . I hope some one will make some bigger arf seaplanes soon for thos of us who like bigger models with lighter wing loadings. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:37 PM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Joined Nov 2004
549 Posts
IN STOCK, Limited Quantities

I just checked Tower's site, and they are listing the Widgeon as "In Stock, Limited Quantities". They are also listing "Free Shipping". I hope to get mine from my LHS sometime next week ... we'll see.

Joe, I'm also pleased with Horizon Hobby products and consider the quality problems with their 15e Champ ARF as just part of the hobby. I don't get too upset when products aren't perfect (I couldn't afford perfect, even if it did exist in reality), I just try to correct the imperfections. I enjoy building, so modifying an ARF just adds fun to the hobby. I don't recall (hell, I'm old and forgetful) that I've yet encountered any R.C. product that's downright shabby and P---Poor ... maybe I've just been lucky.

Cheers,
Grog
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:15 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I for get some times that the new guys missed the bad arf mistakes from when they started hitting the hobby seen . They was one big one that comes to mind (dura plane ) it was ment for new flyers and was made of plastic and metal ,lol They had a video of it hitting a fence and then putting the wing back on to fly again. I was a instructor trying to teach newbes to fly a brick with a heavy motor on it . lol Good luck with the widgen and report back on how it looks out of the box. This is the first i have heard of any problems with their HH champ but i will go to another e-site and see what they have to say. I dont own to many foam planes except for a polaris i scratch built, iam a balsa builder but i will try a foam build soon ,as soon as i draw my own plans for it. joe
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:21 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
524 Posts
I just checked, my order at Tower is being picked and packed right now! Should have the Widgeon some time next week. Christmas is real early this year, just got the 73'' B-17 from Hobbyking yesterday!
handyman 220 is offline Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:24 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,574 Posts
I am impressed that they actually made the "late Sept" arrival date, even if it was on the last day...

I have a Top Flite part for an ARF on order from Tower...it has now had the arrival date pushed back by a month four times, with a total time on backorder of over 4 months.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:49 PM
Mark 12:30
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Jan 2004
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDAD View Post
Hello All: Back in late August , when I first heard about it, I purchased the Electrifly G-44 Widgeon from Tower Hobbies (Back-Ordered) Due Date Late September?? (I waited five months back order for a 50” span Tiger Moth once) aneway. I am strongly considering, setting it up with counter rotating propellers. I know that this is not to scale for the full size Widgeon does not use them, however my set-up and resenting being as followed.
1. Left Wing will receive a Standard Rotation motor and Standard Rotation Propeller.
2. Right Wing will receive a Reverse Rotation motor (by swapping any two of the three wires on a brushless) and installing a Pusher Prop.
I believe that the benefits of this arrangement are this:
A. The prop-wash of both propellers will be thrown into the rudder and elevator giving increased control authority and.
B. Torque will be canceled out, helping the plane to pull out straight and true, like when putting in full throttle to pull out from a botched landing. Or to help eliminate “water looping” on takeoff, like my CUB likes to do once and a while.

That said, I have the proper prop combination for this. However won’t a reverse thread prop adaptor be needed as well? I would think so, but I cannot find one. (I am no expert on any of this and your comments’ will be appreciated)

Thank you. Keith (aka. ZDAD)
No need for reverse thread prop adapter..as far as I know there are none. The collet type is what I use and they don't care which way the prop turns as long as the collet is tight.

And don't forget "c"....in the event of a motor out scenario the running motors torque will counteract (in some small degree) the drag of the dead motor.
TipStalled is offline Find More Posts by TipStalled
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:16 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I am impressed that they actually made the "late Sept" arrival date, even if it was on the last day...

I have a Top Flite part for an ARF on order from Tower...it has now had the arrival date pushed back by a month four times, with a total time on backorder of over 4 months.
Had the TF Corsair ARF on back order since the beginning of April. It has also been pushed back at least 4 times, finally cancelled my order. Maybe when it does become a reality I will order it again.
handyman 220 is offline Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
First if two motors are spinning in the same direction it will have the same amount of prop wash going over the rudder as one going one way and the other turning to other way. Second i have 4 motors spining in the same direction on my short solent with 2 -3200 lipo packs in series and there is no tork i can tell. My rudder is straight from the time i built it till after i flew it ,no ail trim was needed either. I think it is a pain in the ars to try to find props that match for counter rotating props and a waist of time. If you try it first with reg props then think the plane is spinning in cyrcles ,then find the other prop and switch one wire on the esc you want to turn the other way. They make no prop adpter that threads the other way but the best prop adpters i have found is by tru -turn ,i found this out by stripping great- planes cheap adapters . Good luck with what ever you choose . joe
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:58 PM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Joined Nov 2004
549 Posts
E-flite Aeronca Champ

Joe,

Here's a link to the E-flite 15e Aeronca Champ thread on the "Scale Electric Planes" forum. Despite the problems with it, I'd still recommend it. It looks great and flies great.

Cheers,
Grog

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=aeronca+champ
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngrog View Post
Joe,

Here's a link to the E-flite 15e Aeronca Champ thread on the "Scale Electric Planes" forum. Despite the problems with it, I'd still recommend it. It looks great and flies great.

Cheers,
Grog

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=aeronca+champ
I read most of the thread and i seen a couple guys complain about struts being a pain putting together at the field and i seen some other guys complaining about the landing gear . Lets take the struts first ,i own the 25 size e-flight cub and my struts are the same way but since iam in this hobby to stay i own a van and my small planes go to the field in one piece and i dont have to take apart .I flew it last weekend and my van was full so i put it in back seat of my girlfriends grandpri and it still fit with the wing on. If you wanted to fix it ,a couple pieces of brass tubing and cotter pins would do fine. A scale looking landing gear is not made to be bounced very hard like a trainer and some of thos guys flying the champ looked like they did not know what a smooth landing looks like let alone do one. I have flown my e-flight cub for 6 years now with out a scratch or bent landing gear off of pavement. There are always guys who blame every bad landing or any little thing on the plane when it was their fault for not learning how to land or fix something. I did not say that it was a great plane cause i have never owned one but i have been flying a very long time and just about heard it all.
I competed in patteren and pylon in the ama when i was young and if i lost i did not blame it on my plane because of my short commings i would practice till i got it right. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Sep 30, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:26 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,894 Posts
Jeepers, Joe. You're being kinda harsh on us, don't you think?

I was the first guy in the Aeronca thread to bring up the faulty landing gear. I discovered the weak point when I tried to land in windy conditions, and a gust slammed the little Aeronca down hard on the pavement. I've been flying R/C for over forty years now, so don't give me any crap about not knowing how to land a dadgum airplane softly-- I'm as good as any pilot of my experience level. In fact, most of my flying sessions with the Aeronca are non-stop touch-n-goes, most of them soft as a feather. The problem is NOT the pilot here, it's the plane. Sorry, but that's the facts.

Go back and look at my posts on this, and how I fixed the weak spot. The lower longerons are not continuous, but have a butt joint (no kidding, can you believe it?) right where the aft gear mount resides. What dummy decided that would be an acceptable feature, I ask. There is a shear web ply piece at this location, on the side panels, but it is not big enough to take the loads (mine separated when the longeron failed). I reinforced the side panels, and finally glued a transverse compression member between the aft attach points, and I have not had a problem since--even with my occasional and unavoidable hard landings in gusty conditions. I call that a design flaw-- easily corrected in this case.

BTW, I leave my wings on, too. Way too much hassle to take them on and off each time. The Aeronca is a great little airplane, and its too bad it has gotten a bad rap in these forums. (Sorry, guys, for the off-topic post.)
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Like i said i dont own the plane and iam not pointing fingers but you did say it was very windy and it got slammed to the ground . From watching hot shots at my club field i see them tearing up the sky .loops rolls you name it. When it comes time to land there is no rudder use ,no flair and some hot shots tear their gear off and blame it on a poor desighn most times when people are watching. I have run out of elevator myself and tore stuff off and It was my fault not the scale plane . Last year a full scale goose came into our local airport and he had some cross wind but used no rudder and came in hot . He lost it mid runway and tore one wheel off and bashed his tip float in on a ground loop. If you say the gear needed beefing up i believe you but it is nothing that cant be fixed and iam sure if you would have sent it in they would have replaced it. The main spar on my 100 inch solent is made from 3/16 balsa ,yes i said balsa with 1/8 by 1/8 bass wood top and bottom and no strips about 10 inches from the end . It looks weak but the desighner has a video of it doing loops and rolls. I will not try looping and rolling with mine but it shows me that sometimes things that look weak are stronger than you think. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Oct 01, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:28 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,778 Posts
i thought this was about the widgeon??
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Oct 01, 2011, 02:05 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
883 Posts
I'm with Bart83. Guys can you say Widgeon? Please, let's stay focused on the G-44!
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy