HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:42 PM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Russia, Kamchatka Krai, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Joined Nov 2004
548 Posts
Thayer,

Your all up weight of 61 oz. results in a Wing Cube Loading of 14.6, which should be a more relaxing (for me) flyer. Having nothing better to do, I looked up some data on the full scale Widgeon and came up with a wing area of 245 sq.ft. and an empty weight of 3189 pounds. This empty weight gives a Wing Cube Loading of 13.3, and at a maximum takeoff weight of 4500 lbs., a Wing Cube Loading of 18.8. It looks like the WCL of your test Widgeon and of the factory specified weight Widgeon fall nicely within the WCL range of the full-sized Widgeon. What all this means (to anyone who hasn't fallen asleep reading this post) is that the Electrifly Widgeon's speeds will be "scale", and will handle sorta (maybe) like the full scale thing. The power loading is probably way off from scale, since the full-sized Widgeon wouldn't loop from level flight (as shown on the video).

Regards,
Grog
capngrog is offline Find More Posts by capngrog
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 06:44 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,394 Posts
The Focke-Wulf is at the printer right now. It is a very nice model as well.

Thayer
Thayer is online now Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:23 PM
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2002
650 Posts
Handyman, is that winding brook at the sod farm in Rocky Hill? Great location.
david_r2ese is offline Find More Posts by david_r2ese
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:36 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
470 Posts
David
Yes, that is the flying field. Great place to fly, lots of open area. Great place to maiden large scale. Heck you could land a full scale there!!

Paul
handyman 220 is online now Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:48 PM
Michigan's U.P.
Joined Dec 2003
526 Posts
Lead sled!

Gorgeous model, but the weight, wing loading and wing cubed loading are all atrocious!

Too bad.

Dick
Dick Adams is offline Find More Posts by Dick Adams
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:18 AM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Joined Nov 2004
548 Posts
Dick;

While I consider wing cube loading to be a good predictor of flight characteristics, I don't think they are capable of providing the full picture. Although, on paper, the Widgeon looks like a hot performer (lead sled), I'll with withhold my final opinion until I fly mine. Yeh, despite the relatively high WCL, I ordered one and am really looking forward to flying it. By the way, I'm no expert (flyer, aerodynamicist, on life in general or anything else). Don't give up on the Widgeon, I just have a feeling that it'll turn out to be a good flyer.

Cheers,
Grog
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:05 PM
Michigan's U.P.
Joined Dec 2003
526 Posts
Raining on parades

Hey, Grog. Wasn't trying to rain on anybody's parade. It does look like a good flyer in the videos, just too fast for my taste.

Making scale airplanes fly nicely is a tough engineering challenge for those who design model airplanes. But I put this bad on the design team. They certainly could have done a lot better, weight loading wise, with a 51" WS model.

Will be interested in hearing your flight impressions!

Dick
Dick Adams is offline Find More Posts by Dick Adams
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:53 AM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Joined Nov 2004
548 Posts
No Rain on this Parade

Dick,

I don't consider your comments as raining on anyone's parade, but consider them constructive criticism of a new design. I think that it is prudent for Wing Cube Loading (WCL) to be considered before any maiden flight, since it will give the pilot an idea of the "speeds 'n' feeds" required to keep the thing in the air. It certainly looks like one will need to keep the speed up with the Widgeon, but that doesn't mean it won't be a steady flyer. By the way, I think that WCL is a more accurate predictor of an airplane's performance than wing loading due to the "scale effect" of different sized models ( I think it has something to do with Reynolds Numbers, something that I don't completely understand).

Anyway, I have my motors and ESCs (Rimfire 400s & Electrifly SS-25s) ready to go and am waiting for "late September" and my Widgeon to arrive. Oh wait! It's September 25th, and I think that qualifies as "late September". Hey Tower Hobbies, it's "late September" awready! Ship them Widgeons!

Cheers,
Grog
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:02 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
470 Posts
Do I hear a mid October? Hope not!! Same here have everything but the plane itself.
handyman 220 is online now Find More Posts by handyman 220
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:29 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,032 Posts
Remember they set release dates, usually that means it could be the earliest possible date, but if something happens, storm, quality control issues, or whatever else could or would happen, the date is usually wrong and the planes could come anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks from what they hoped to start with.

I know, I would also like mine ASAP, but I will wait. I have to get the other parts also. I also want to add lights to mine, so that will take some thinking power before I do much.

I hope they are close to the release date...
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:31 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
862 Posts
Yes I know all too well what a "fast" model is like, I don't care for them. I fly from a boat and I like to relax when flying. (ACK, I have enough stress from teaching middle schoolers!!) If one gets the least bit lazy, not paying attention and the speed gets too low, it's stall time. One ends up repairing the model more than flying it. I have lots of patience, I can wait until the verdict is in.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:44 AM
Discovery Bay, Calif
Joined Mar 2006
19 Posts
Hello All: Back in late August , when I first heard about it, I purchased the Electrifly G-44 Widgeon from Tower Hobbies (Back-Ordered) Due Date Late September?? (I waited five months back order for a 50” span Tiger Moth once) aneway. I am strongly considering, setting it up with counter rotating propellers. I know that this is not to scale for the full size Widgeon does not use them, however my set-up and resenting being as followed.
1. Left Wing will receive a Standard Rotation motor and Standard Rotation Propeller.
2. Right Wing will receive a Reverse Rotation motor (by swapping any two of the three wires on a brushless) and installing a Pusher Prop.
I believe that the benefits of this arrangement are this:
A. The prop-wash of both propellers will be thrown into the rudder and elevator giving increased control authority and.
B. Torque will be canceled out, helping the plane to pull out straight and true, like when putting in full throttle to pull out from a botched landing. Or to help eliminate “water looping” on takeoff, like my CUB likes to do once and a while.

That said, I have the proper prop combination for this. However won’t a reverse thread prop adaptor be needed as well? I would think so, but I cannot find one. (I am no expert on any of this and your comments’ will be appreciated)

Thank you. Keith (aka. ZDAD)
ZDAD is offline Find More Posts by ZDAD
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:25 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDAD View Post
Hello All: Back in late August , when I first heard about it, I purchased the Electrifly G-44 Widgeon from Tower Hobbies (Back-Ordered) Due Date Late September?? (I waited five months back order for a 50” span Tiger Moth once) aneway. I am strongly considering, setting it up with counter rotating propellers. I know that this is not to scale for the full size Widgeon does not use them, however my set-up and resenting being as followed.
1. Left Wing will receive a Standard Rotation motor and Standard Rotation Propeller.
2. Right Wing will receive a Reverse Rotation motor (by swapping any two of the three wires on a brushless) and installing a Pusher Prop.
I believe that the benefits of this arrangement are this:
A. The prop-wash of both propellers will be thrown into the rudder and elevator giving increased control authority and.
B. Torque will be canceled out, helping the plane to pull out straight and true, like when putting in full throttle to pull out from a botched landing. Or to help eliminate “water looping” on takeoff, like my CUB likes to do once and a while.

That said, I have the proper prop combination for this. However won’t a reverse thread prop adaptor be needed as well? I would think so, but I cannot find one. (I am no expert on any of this and your comments’ will be appreciated)

Thank you. Keith (aka. ZDAD)
I think you are over thinking with your counter rotating props ,they really dont need them and will track just fine the way it is . The diff steering while on water is the big help and at one time i was not for this, but i have a couple planes that i will be setting up this way. If i dont need counter rotating props on my 100 inch seaplane you will have no issues with yours. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:46 AM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Joined Nov 2004
548 Posts
Latest September if TODAY!

Well, I just went on the Tower Hobbies site, and they're still touting a "late September" availability. It doesn't get any later in September than today, so where's the Widgeon? They're either asleep over at Tower or too lazy to update the availability date, 'cause they've just about missed their "late September" avialabilty date!

Cheers,
Grog
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:00 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Iam not a big fan of greatplanes or tower hobbys for that matter. They make alot of money by selling junk to new flyers trying to get into the hobby that really dont know any better. I bought their pby and it flew ok but by the time the time you buy every thing to fly it you are almost broke. If you use their motors ,batteries and esc,s you will be broke. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup