HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:48 AM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Russia, Kamchatka Krai, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Joined Nov 2004
549 Posts
Thayer,

Thanks. Yes, that info on the differential throttle helps a lot.

If you hear any thing from the distributor about release dates, please let us know on this thread. I've had (I still am) lots of fun with the PBY, so I'm really looking forward to the Widgeon. Arrrgghhhh ... I can't wait! Maybe flying my PBY will help make the wait seem shorter (?).

Cheers,
Grog
capngrog is offline Find More Posts by capngrog
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:27 PM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
there is presently so many selections out there right now!
Really? Like what? I've been hard pressed to find much variety in seaplane ARF's myself.
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:40 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollins View Post
Really? Like what? I've been hard pressed to find much variety in seaplane ARF's myself.
Here is one... but agree there are not too many ARF's.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdId=PKZ5880
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
"RC ADDICT" in Toronto!
Toronto Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
but agree there are not too many ARF's.
Exactly ... I figured maybe PittSpecial knew something we didn't.
wollins is offline Find More Posts by wollins
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:55 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,034 Posts
I read the review in Fly RC, looks good. I have a lake just 40 feet from the back door. I have been flying my Super Cub on floats for over a year and a half. In the winter when the lake freezes and there is snow on the lake, flying on the new snow is a treat. Really float planes fly better than on the water.

I have checked the prices of the parts on Tower's web site. Including the plane, no rec, the way I add, I get about $430 or there about without props. I am sure I got a 3 cell 3200 around, if not then a couple of them would be a good investment.

Here is what I get to fly from almost every evening when the wind is down.

So this new plane looks like it would be great to have to float fly with. I wish it had lights on the wings and body, but I can live with that. Float flying into dusk is a thrill and especially when the moon rises.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:13 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Orrin, I don't think you have a choice on this one!

FWIW, I think you could add nav lights pretty easily with the three-piece wing. I agree, having lights to stretch the twilight for just one more perfect landing is awfully nice.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:50 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,034 Posts
I have been looking for a twin float plane, since I don't have the skill to build one and I wanted a Duck, but I love this one also. So I better order it. I have never flown a twin, but I figure that I can learn pretty quick. In the video the twin electrics sounded pretty neat.

I love flying in the twilight. One the longest day of the year, I can fly at 11 PM and still have a few minutes left. At night when the wind lays down on the lake, I fly my Super Cub and many of my neighbors come out to watch me fly along the shore and I have to dodge the docks and boat hoists, but the whole time in the air is a lot of fun. Electric makes it so nice. Everyone likes the fact there is no noise.

Thank you for the review in Fly RC. I loved the video. You almost landed in the lily pads once, yet you managed to just slip over them. Looks like this Widgeon flies a bit like the Seawind, looks fast, but seems to slow down pretty good.

My wife won't be happy, but float planes and a lake go hand in hand. She likes to water ski, I like to float fly. So I guess there is a trade in there somewhere.

So far this year, I have not needed a chase boat.

Winter is a great time to fly off the lake on snow.

I think I can add lights. It will be a challenge in ways, but I am sure it can be done.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:32 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
I have checked the prices of the parts on Tower's web site. Including the plane, no rec, the way I add, I get about $430 or there about without props. I am sure I got a 3 cell 3200 around, if not then a couple of them would be a good investment.

Orrin Eldred
Even though the Eletricfly PBY uses the same suggested components, I went a different way with it and got excellent performance and reliability at a greatly reduced cost

Use the following:

Motors: BP-2212-13
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B1688512

17.95 each.

ESCs: Lots of options: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=B1818516 is one.

19.95 each

Thus, using an alternative motor and ESC combo costs only 75.80 total for a pair of each.

The stock Rimfire/ Electrifly components cost 49.99x2 for the motors and 39.99x2 for the ESCs, a total of 179.96

Saves over 100 dollars. The only small mod is that you ill need to redrill the firewall for 4 screw mount instead of the stock three screw mounts.

I will end up using HXT900 servos all around and they will cost a little over 3 bucks each, with shippin.

I plan on spending less than 100$ for all components except the extra RX and battery, which I already have extras of.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:33 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,034 Posts
Nice to know. Thanks.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:09 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,687 Posts
And here's an other movie

ElectriFly® G-44 Widgeon Seaplane ARF - Action Shots (1 min 14 sec)
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Sep 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Russia, Kamchatka Krai, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Joined Nov 2004
549 Posts
Thayer,

I had some spare time this afternoon and did some wing loading and wing cube loading calculations for my models that I fly most frequently.

The wing loading for my Great Planes Electrifly PBY Catalina is 18.96 oz./sq.ft., and the wing cube loading is 11.4. I consider the PBY to be a "pussycat" to fly and haven't detected any bad characteristics with it, either on the water or in flight. Going by the information on the G-44 Widgeon that appears on the Tower Hobbies site, the wing area of the Widgeon is 373 sq.in. and the weight is 72 ounces. This results in a wing loading of 27.8 oz./sq.ft. and a wing cube loading of 17.3. I have a Hyperion L-19 BirdDog with a wing loading of 21.14 oz./sq.in. and a wing cube loading of 14. I consider this BirdDog to be a "hot" flyer, and it is a real challenge for me to fly. It also had a nasty tip stalling habit which I was able to correct by "reflexing" (angling up) the ailerons approximately 3 degrees.

With all this said, do you consider the Widgeon to be a "hot" flyer? Looking at the videos, I don't see any slow flybys like can be done with the PBY.

Regards,
Grog
capngrog is offline Find More Posts by capngrog
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Well, My Widgeon came in at 3 &13, iirrc, so a bit less than they call for. It is definitely not as light as the Cat and thus does fly faster but it is very smooth in the air. I have not seen a tip stall that I remember, but as you say, reflexing the ailerons a bit will cure that quickly if you do.

Thayer
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:03 AM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
470 Posts
G-44 Widgeon

Just saw the cover of Fly RC What a pretty airplane,couldn't help myself it is already on BO at Tower. Now if I can only find a place with water to fly it near me. Any ideas out there, let me know.
handyman 220 is offline Find More Posts by handyman 220
Last edited by handyman 220; Sep 11, 2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Wrong magazine name
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:11 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
I hear there is a lot of water in the Connecticut River these days. FWIW, I am pretty sure you were looking at Fly RC magazine.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:35 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
470 Posts
G-44 Widgeon

Sorry about that my bad, have to give credit where credit is due. Picture was on the cover of Fly RC Magazine. great write up Thayer, hope the plane is as good as the article (cancelled the Flyzone Fockwulf for the Widgeon). Yeah, one of my flying fields is under water, receding now.
handyman 220 is offline Find More Posts by handyman 220
Last edited by handyman 220; Sep 11, 2011 at 04:44 PM.