HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
Those rimfires are crap. I had one in my Seawind. It could barely take off. I flew it full throttle most of the time.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
My Seawind, with the next size up Rimfire is a speed demon. If flies great and is really over powered, but I wanted more power. I fly 1/3 throttle usually, 1/2 throttle will let me look easily. The only time I used full throttle was takeoff.

So I will go with the Rimfires that are recomended.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:49 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
Those rimfires are crap. I had one in my Seawind. It could barely take off. I flew it full throttle most of the time.
they are. Yet many on this thread have been pleased with their performance but they were a disastar on my model. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:54 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,835 Posts
I'm still flying the stock setup with 9x7 3-blades and loving it!

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:07 PM
United States, PA, Venetia
Joined Nov 2010
112 Posts
Off of grass

Anyone flying her off of grass? Landing also. My last "water adventure" was not so good with this plane. Had better results with the Dynam PBY.
Go Pens is online now Find More Posts by Go Pens
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:55 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,835 Posts
Never flown mine off grass, only off the water. I'd be worried that the tip floats would catch on the grass and break off. They are a little fragile on water, and grass is a lot harder on floats.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:46 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,389 Posts
Its a seaplane, fly it off wa'er......
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:44 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
311 Posts
Let's get this thread moving again!

I just bought the G-44 and will be interested to see how it performs, especially compared to the Seawind EP. I've owned a few seaplanes (Seawind, scratch-built Polaris, CootA, SuperCub on floats) but always felt the Seawind was a serious cut above.

This is my first non-foam aircraft and I was surprised, out of the box, at how loose the covering was. There is no way around getting a covering iron and going over all the pieces. Everything did tighten-up nicely though, and in the process it was clear that the covering film is very accurately and well applied, with clean seams and minimal trapped air (at least on the one I got).

I'm now at a standstill awaiting the arrival of electronics and hardware. I opted for RCTimer 2830-8 1300kv motors, slightly higher kv than spec so I could keep the props at 8" diameter. I'm also plotting out a full-suite of navigation lighting. For my money an $8 nav light set (eg. this one) is a great investment, not only for better scale appearance but also to get an extra few flights in after sunset when the wind is calm.

@Kingsflyer do you still get any use out of your Widgeon now, a couple of seasons on? I'm interested to know which of your seaplanes you find yourself going back to nowadays.
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,835 Posts
Still flying my Widgeon and my SeaWind.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703822

The Widgeon is more like flying a scale P-51 and the SeaWind is like flying a Twist. They fly very different. I take both of them to most of our Club float flys.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11087...04541655476897

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2013, 01:56 PM
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
311 Posts
That's a fascinating comparison; I agree the Seawind can be quite aerobatic and a hoot to wring-out a bit. But from your review video it looks like you were able to find a bit of non-scale fun in the Widgeon too. I'm looking forward to getting her in the air once the lakes around here give up their ice...

Dave
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:38 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,399 Posts
Cant wait to have mine flying again . . . . but 1st i have to complete my Short S.23 'C' Class Empire flying boat.

Have some good idea's on the repair.

- I am going to close the lipo hatch forgood
- Make a very easy way to take the wing of
- This way battery change needs to be done by taking of the wing.
- The ESC's are going to be moved to the nacelle's
- The reciever is going to be mounted in the wing

Hope to have some fun with this beauty this summer . . . . mis flying this craft

Electrifly G-44 Widgeon (1 min 53 sec)

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Mar 20, 2013, 09:26 PM
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
311 Posts
Greetz Bart - that Empire is a monster!

On the Widgeon, I saw your earlier post about your crash and wing replacement. Why are you planning your new wing to incorporate redesigns of the battery hatch and electronics layout?

Dave
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:42 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,399 Posts
Hi Dave ,

I had some trouble with water getting in the battery hatch. I will make the esc in the nacelle's mainly because the most electrics are to be in the wing ( esc's , ailerons and reciever ) that way a dont have many plugs between the wing and fuse.

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:48 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,835 Posts
Bart,

You may want to check on your ESC and be sure you can lengthen the battery leads that much. Most Manufacturers recommend lengthening the motor leads rather than the battery leads. If you lengthen the battery leads more than an inch or two it can cause sever voltage spikes to the ESC and can lead to ESC failure.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you may need to add extra Capacitors at your ESCs if you lenthen the leads.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:14 PM
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
311 Posts
Kingsflyer, have you actually seen problems first-hand with long battery-to-ESC leads?

I have an F4-D Skyray EDF and was somewhat surprised during the build to find that, as-designed, the ESC is only a few centimetres from the motor but about 50cm from the battery pack. Attached is an image of the plane's underside showing the ESC through the vent holes on the bottom midline, relative to the positions of motor and LiPo.

The pack goes way up in the nose, connecting to the ESC with very long leads.

When I saw this I gave some thought to the popular wisdom on pack-ESC-motor distance, but rather than redesign the thing I succumbed to laziness and put it together as directed. I can confirm that the plane works just fine. I have not seen any symptoms suggesting battery lead-length is posing problems for this model.

From my experience with the F4-D I'm wondering if the lead length issue may not be all that material for our models.

Dave