HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:26 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,988 Posts
Very nice Maiden! Looks very happy on the ST 400 motors.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2005
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipStalled View Post
I just moved to the Chandler area and am looking for a place to do some float flying. Where was this ?
This was at Queen Creek and Lindsay. Its called Layton Lakes. Theres tons of room to fly and hardly anyone around.
carrera0to60 is online now Find More Posts by carrera0to60
Last edited by carrera0to60; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,220 Posts
Disappointment To Glee

Being one of the first to buy and fly this model when I outfitted it with the reccomended rim-fire motors it was a disaster. Second flight broke wing in half and tore floats off , plus nacelle damage and minor fuse cracks. Put her aside for a while and thought about the burn pile or modify it. Modify won out so I made new motor mounts and installed E-ftite 480's in it. Reworked the nacelles, and rebuilt the wing. So now the set up is the 480's, castle 30amp esc's, Counter rotating MAS 9/7 3 blade props. Also added a heli heading hold gyro I had in inventory. Used thin CA dribbled in from the inside to seal the minor stress cracks in the fuse. When I recovered the wing center section I used Ultracote vs. Monocote as I find it easier to work with at lower temps.. RTF weight is 4.25 Flew the revamped version this morning and really now enjoyed it. She flies heavy as a lot of my warbirds do but that is fine with me. Great speed range now with these motors. Stalls straight but violent breakaway as this model is no floater.Tracks straight as an arrow with the little gyro in her. So now I find it to be a fun little stand-off scale model. Flies quite a bit heavier then my G.P. PBY. Sorry no photos as I don't know how to post them. Enjoy, donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Last edited by menksters; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:16 AM
Mark 12:30
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Jan 2004
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera0to60 View Post
This was at Queen Creek and Lindsay. Its called Layton Lakes. Theres tons of room to fly and hardly anyone around.
Just caught this, Thanks !!
TipStalled is offline Find More Posts by TipStalled
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Ok, I subscribed to this thread and read all the posts. Now, if the rimfires are so expensive, which some say are a tad underpowered, there are no rimfires that are bigger that will fit from what I have been able to see on the TH website, then what are the best alternatives to them?? I don't want to do a lot of modification to the motor mounts, other than taking out the blind nuts and putting in more blind nuts in the mount.

Any suggestions,
Thanks in advance.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:35 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
No matter what, you'll have to drill new holes. The Rimfire400 has a triangular bolt pattern that is not compatible with anything else. Your biggest limitation with new motors will be the motor length... I don't think there's much space between the firewall and the cowl to go with a longer motor ("maybe" you could go to 35mm), but you can step up in diameter a little.

So, with that in mind, it looks like the Rimfire400 is 28mm diameter X 30mm long (2830) and 950KV with a 3mm shaft.

You could move up to the Rimfire.10 which is the same length but 35mm diameter (3530) and 1250kv with a 4mm shaft. (This is approximately a 480-size motor).

Just a few cheap options:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-11%29/Detail
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...wt&goodsid=142
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,322 Posts
I get mine from Don http://www.strongrcmotors.com/Motors.htm
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:57 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
The 20-20L or 20-22L looks like it might work well.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:03 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,375 Posts
Orrin,

I am not sure why folks feel the Widgeon is underpowered with the Rimfires. No, it won't hover, but it will make large loops from level flight and fly any other non-scale basic aerobatics you might be inclined to throw in between splash and go's. As to the price, of course there are less expensive options out there, but with most you will also increase your installation effort and quite likely at a reduced level of vendor support. It is all a tradeoff, like most things in life, but honestly, I can't imagine you not being very happy with this model as originally designed and equipped.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:30 PM
Mark 12:30
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Jan 2004
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer View Post
Orrin,

I am not sure why folks feel the Widgeon is underpowered with the Rimfires. No, it won't hover, but it will make large loops from level flight and fly any other non-scale basic aerobatics you might be inclined to throw in between splash and go's. As to the price, of course there are less expensive options out there, but with most you will also increase your installation effort and quite likely at a reduced level of vendor support. It is all a tradeoff, like most things in life, but honestly, I can't imagine you not being very happy with this model as originally designed and equipped.

Thayer
I'll second that ! Stock Rimfires have more than enough "Ooomph" !
TipStalled is offline Find More Posts by TipStalled
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:38 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,988 Posts
Mine's still flying fine with the RimFire motors.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:18 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,378 Posts
These guys make an aluminum adapter that will give the same mounting pattern as the rimfire cross mount.

http://www.smallpartscnc.com/

I'm planning on using Hacker A20-22L's, which are about 3mm longer in the length measurement than the 30mm that the Rimfire motor drawing shows. The Hackers only cost about $5 more than the Rimfires. I'm sure there are cheaper motors also per the links posted above.

I received my Hackers today and found that they had changed the design since I last bought one. As a result the distance from the back of the motor to the face of the prop adapter is now about 38.5mm vs. the 30mm of the rimfire. I'm sure the motors would still work but from a looks standpoint might stick out more than I care for. Kit is due in on Wednesday, so I'll have to see what it all looks like. I can always use the Hackers somewhere else if needs be.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Last edited by GBR2; Dec 03, 2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: New Info
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:27 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,029 Posts
Ok, you all have convinced me. I must say I have never had any trouble with the rimfires I own.

I went with a larger rimfire on the Seawind, It really screams in my mind.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2005
130 Posts
The alternative motor that Im using: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXGY2&P=ML

Mounts just like the rimfires with no modification.
carrera0to60 is online now Find More Posts by carrera0to60
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
I bought this plane at a auction last month. It looked like it had never been flown and was in perfect shape with stock Rimfires. Had the Futaba servos and came with a battery all for $145.
I wanted to fly it off land first before I tried the the water take off. I removed the water rudder and tip floats.
I had a good study 15 MPH wind and held the plane above my head and full power made it want to pitch down so moved my hand forward and tried full power again and with the little up trim I added to the elevator it flew stright out and away. Needed very little triming and at full power loops were as big as you would want. Tried some power off stalls and it held in there....but if you forced it...it would wing over. Not a big deal for the wing area and weight.
After five minutes I brought it in against the steady wind with a full stall landing in the grass.
I am happy with it. The floats are back on and next summer we are ready.
Jim409 is offline Find More Posts by Jim409