HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:31 AM
Crash King
China, Guizhou, Qiandongnan
Joined Mar 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Please check your propellers and be sure they are both installed the correct way. The size information should face forward - toward the front of the plane. It looks like the port prop is on backwards.

If both props are rotating the same direction, be aware that there will be a torque effect on takeoff and be prepared to use right aileron to keep the wings level during the takeoff run.

McD
Hi kingsflyer:
yes. You are right. In order to overcome torque.The two support one of them is the reverse movement.
carl1976 is offline Find More Posts by carl1976
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:49 PM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
Here's a shot of mine on it's maiden today...NTM motors 2826 1350kv on sky lipo 2450 3s and APC 8x6e props..putting out 380watts and weighing in right at 4lbs..flies great at 4600ft ASL..
Cap232ac is offline Find More Posts by Cap232ac
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:23 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,064 Posts
Way to go Aaron! What a beautiful picture. Glad to hear you had enough beans for the Widgeon at your altitude.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:18 PM
there is no spoon...
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Jul 2005
598 Posts
thanks..'tell you what..it's tough to find the right motors for this thing..the recomended motors just couldn't get it off the water..going to try 7x4 props and 4s 2200's next..
Cap232ac is offline Find More Posts by Cap232ac
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:05 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,064 Posts
Looks like the FlightPower Eon Batteries for the Widgeon just came back in stock at Tower.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SV&I=LXXLV1

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:09 PM
Davenport, IA
Joined Aug 2003
280 Posts
Well, I just completed my build. Just need to program my radio and I am off to the pond.
tman52804 is offline Find More Posts by tman52804
Last edited by tman52804; Jul 20, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:42 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,064 Posts
Be sure to take some pictures and maybe some video for us.
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, NC, Morrisville
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
I had my maiden last weekend and got several batteries in this weekend.

Wow, what a sweet flying airplane this is. I'm really going to enjoy this bird. I've named it the Hemisphere Dancer in tribute to one of my heroes, Mr. Jimmy Buffet (explained below).

After about 5-6 takeoffs and landings, here are my initial impressions and critical mods:

1. I can't thank Kingsflyer enough for the posts on the differential thrust mixes. I love this feature and totally support this as an alternative to the flimsy rudder. I left the rudder key off and use the DT mix but when I go for takeoff, I turn the mix off and use pure rudder and aileron for takeoff. I find the key is to keep the wings level, use a little rudder and avoid dragging a sponson in order to get a straight ahead takeoff.

2. I really recommend totally waterproofing the wing. There is a great Youtube that outlines the mods to do the waterproofing below. The keys are protecting the wood, closing the holes in the exposed spars, and sealing the covering. Unfortunately, on my first landing, I flipped it over on a sloppy landing and my wing took on water in the cavity just behind the leading edge. With some pilot holes and tape to get the water out and reseal it, along with the mods outlined in this video, I think I've got a high integrity wing now.
RC Widgeon preparations and differential thrust (8 min 36 sec)

3. I found the wing to be slightly port heavy causing a port roll. I found this by balancing the wing only on a fulcrum like a pencil eraser or even a finger in the cutout exposed wood section in the center. Balance it right at the wire hole protruding from the bottom of the wing. I find that even at perfect center, the wing tilts toward port. This could have been due to a little moisture left in the wood after the water incident above. A little bit of tape on the starboard wing balanced this out.

4. After balancing on the 2" CG, I still find the plane to be slightly nose heavy and it needs some substantial up trim to fly level at 2/3 throttle. I'm going to try to shift the battery aft to further balance this out.

5. I found the stock rubber stopper plug in the fuse bottom to be very leaky. I fixed this easily with Blue RTV silicon spread on the plug after greasing the plug with something like white lithium grease. This formed a gasket around the plug and slowed the leak from a torrent to a trickle. I bath tub tested the fuse to identify the leak. Additionally, I did the mod outlined on these forums on the battery hatch using Blue RTV silicone and saran wrap which worked great and it keeps the water out.

6. I've had great success with the 9x7 master airscrew tri-blade pusher and puller combos. Follow Kingflyer's post on TTI (tips turning in) explicitly. This works great and the only irritant is they kick up a spray when the Widgeon is not up on step. Once on step, they work awesome.

What kind of time do most of you get with the stock 3350 mah eon battery and the twin rimfire 400s? I'm finding that I can easily get 6-7 min and think I'm going to push this to 8-9 as I've still got 11.3 volts after that much flying. I'm thinking of stepping up to the telemetry or a voltage meter but haven't made the jump yet.

Also, has anyone found they need to increase the elevator throws? The low speed throws seem awfully shallow.

This is an awesome plane! I've dubbed mine the Hemisphere Dancer after Jimmy Buffet's series of personally owned Grummans which he used to island hop in the Caribbean. He no longer flies the Grumman Widgeon and has stepped up to the larger Albatross but the Widgeon was one of his early seaplanes. Unfortunately, the Widgeon was the subject of one of his early life changing experiences when he crashed it on takeoff in Martha's Vinyard in 1994. (http://www.buffettworld.com/incident...eaplane-crash/). He talks about this crash extensively in his autobio "A Pirate Looks at 50."

But, here is to the Hemisphere Dancer, a Grumman classic and to the emblem of the old island hoppers! http://www.buffettworld.com/aviation/albatross/
Lprevost is offline Find More Posts by Lprevost
Last edited by Lprevost; Jul 23, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:36 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprevost View Post
I had my maiden last weekend and got several batteries in this weekend.

Wow, what a sweet flying airplane this is. I'm really going to enjoy this bird. I've named it the Hemisphere Dancer in tribute to one of my heroes, Mr. Jimmy Buffet (explained below).

Also, has anyone found they need to increase the elevator throws? The low speed throws seem awfully shallow.

Great job on the maiden! You're right, the Widgeon is a fine flying airplane.

If you choose to move the CG back, do it in small increments, no more than 1/8" at a time. A wise Sage once told me "Nose heavy planes fly poorly. Tail heavy planes fly ONCE."

I would advise the same caution with increasing the elevator movement. The Widgeon will go into a high speed stall if you increase the elevator travel too far. If you want to experiment, leave the low rates where they are and then set a slightly higer high rate. Get up real high and then pull a full elevator deflection loop. If the plane snaps into a roll or spin, neutralize the controls and ease in just a little elevator till it pulls out. If you panic and grab full up to try and recover, you are just going to cause another snap/spin. Once you are back to level filght, switch back to low rates for the rest of your flight and reset your high rates after you land. If the plane makes a good loop, you can try a little more elevator throw on your next flight.

Hope you can get us some stills or video on your next outing. My Widgeon is going to our club float fly in a week or so. I'll try to post some pictures.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Thanks McD -- I'll follow this advice very closely.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:22 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
I also increased the elevator throw , response was a lot better on landings this way.

Last flight didn't go well , i crashed it !!
A few flights back i had the plane up side down in the water. After that i checked eveything ( i thought ) and there was no dammage to the airframe or electronics.
The last flight was going smootly till i went for a right turn and suddenly the the ailerons got stuck so i had no control over the plane's roll and it went nose down in the water. I had to get my pants wet to go get it and disconnect the battery.
Went home to assest the dammage.

- Wing broken in the middle , unrepairable
- Nacelles cracked
- 2 esc's burned out ( gues corrosion X could not isolate high currents )
- Front windows cracked
- 1 ailerons servo gear cracked ( may have been the reason of crash )

so after a few days of thincking wat to do now i have made up my mind. . .

I'm scratch building a new wing. I have come to this decision for the following reasons

- Replacement parts almost cost as much as a new kit.
- Very long livery time to get the parts
- This is a VERY fun aircraft to fly so i really want this up in the air again

So i took of all the covering from the wing and i made a few photo's.
I was ammazed by all the water dammage to the wood so it is a good idea to waterproof the wing. By taking out the servo extension cords i noticed a lot of corrosion on the plugs ( the one i did not spray in with corrosionX ).

This evening i took all measurements needed to construct a new wing so soon i'm going to draw a plan for it.
Using a fine saw blade i was able to get the wingtips and a ply rib out so i can use these as a template for the new ribs.

Will keep you updated if i get any further

Greets,

Bart

Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Last edited by Bart83; Jul 25, 2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: ...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,064 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss Bart. Servo failures can be very hard to detect prior to the actual failure.

I agree with your connector treatment recommendation. The CorrosionX seems to wick into the wire strands even underneath the crimp connections and protect the wires from water damage and corrosion.

I'm glad to see you are working on rebuilding the wing. Examine your fuselage carefully to be sure the plywood inserts inside the fiberglass fuselage are still well anchored in place. Check for hairline cracks in the fiberglass and fill them with CA to repair the damage and seal the hull.

Keep up up to date on your progess. Hope you get back in the air soon. A calm pond of water is a terrible thing to waste!

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:00 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,719 Posts
Small update , started drawing the wing.

Greets ,

Bart
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Thats a real bummer Bart. I guess I got lucky on mine. I am still having some lingering effects of water damage on the interior of my wing.

Today, I had a good flight but found:
1) Left wing section spar to spar bond was losing integrity. I used standard epoxy to glue this wing section on but the epoxy seems to be breaking down. I thought epoxy was waterproof? I'm going to have to detach it and rebond it.
2) I've still got some contracting going on as the water that got into the leading edge cavity completely dries out.

I also had the problem with the hatch coming off on a rough landing and it got chewed up a little bit by my new tri-blade props. So, I'll be studying those mods that used the hook and rubber band posted here in the forum.

I noticed you didn't fill the holes in the spars in the bare wood section that joins to the fuse. I recommend using something like spar varnish to paint the bare wood. I also bought a 5/8" dowel and cut a 1/4" section from the dowel. I then sanded it slightly until it fit into the spar hole and then used thin CA to glue it in place. This seems to really waterproof the wing.

Yes, it is one sweet flying airplane.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:30 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
867 Posts
Bart, Bummer, but your strategy for the wing repair is very cool, especially the CAD. May I suggest that before you start sheeting the new wing, spray or hand brush the entire structure with either sanding sealer, dope or water based polyurethane. This will go a long way in waterproofing the wood. Do the same to the sheeting after it's installed. This is the problem with wood seaplanes and water exposure, mold then wood rot. Subscribed!
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy