563 Posts
Will it fit?

baddb1;

I don't know if your motors will fit, but here are a few measurements:

1. The recommended motors are 1-3/32 inches in diameter;
2. The length of the recommended motors from the face of the airplane firewall
to the face of the prop mount is 1-3/16 inches;
3. The width of the motor mount at its face is 1-5/8 inches;
4. My "guesstimate" of the inside width near the front of the engine nacelles is
somewhere between 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 inches. As huntingfield mentioned, the
nacelles are pretty narrow up front.

I hope this helps, and I've attached a photo to show some of the geometry of the motor mounts, etc.

I was not able to fly my Widgeon this past weekend, due to lack of testicular fortitude. I haven't flown anything for about three months and consider myself to be rusty on the sticks. Just to knock some of the rust off, yesterday (Saturday) morning, I did a few laps of the lake with my trusty PBY, which flies like a trainer (in my opinion).

Cheers,
Grog
capngrog is offline Find More Posts by capngrog
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:54 PM
Florida
Joined Feb 2009
293 Posts
I hate building but want a twin float plane .... yours looks awesome!
jcs06h is offline Find More Posts by jcs06h
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:57 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs06h View Post
I hate building but want a twin float plane .... yours looks awesome!
This is not building this is assembling.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:29 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
This is not building this is assembling.
Sure is...and mine is about 1/2 assembled....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:31 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
602 Posts
The assembly is under way. Everything fits together fine. I found that the elevator music wire pushrod was a bit tight in the plastic outer. I sanded the wire and added a smidgeon of oil and it's a little better. I also installed the black rubber drain plug, don't want to forget that! I have also orderd a v-tail mixer so I can have throttle differential ( which is essential for water steering). Now how about some landing gear for ground take offs and landings.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:23 PM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Russia, Kamchatka Krai, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Joined Nov 2004
563 Posts
baddb1;

I forgot to comment on the servo installation. I would stick with the recommended servos for the ailerons since it is such a tight (water resistant) fit. I believe that other servos could be made to fit, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. As to the elevator and rudder servos, there is plenty of room in the fuselage, and I'm sure almost any mini-sized servo could be made to fit.

Cheers,
Grog
capngrog is offline Find More Posts by capngrog
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:24 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
923 Posts
And don't forget Hitec just came out with the first industry rated waterproof servo: HS5646-WP
hitecrcd.com/products/digital/waterproof-servos/index.html
Trouble is I think it might be a standard size servo.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:31 AM
Michigan's U.P.
Joined Dec 2003
603 Posts
Big Boys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
And don't forget Hitec just came out with the first industry rated waterproof servo: HS5646-WP
hitecrcd.com/products/digital/waterproof-servos/index.html
Trouble is I think it might be a standard size servo.
Good find, FF. But you are right, they are big boys:

http://www.robotshop.com/hs-5646wp-w...que-servo.html

60+ grams.

Dick
Dick Adams is offline Find More Posts by Dick Adams
Last edited by Dick Adams; Oct 17, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:55 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngrog View Post
baddb1;

I don't know if your motors will fit, but here are a few measurements:

1. The recommended motors are 1-3/32 inches in diameter;
2. The length of the recommended motors from the face of the airplane firewall
to the face of the prop mount is 1-3/16 inches;
3. The width of the motor mount at its face is 1-5/8 inches;
4. My "guesstimate" of the inside width near the front of the engine nacelles is
somewhere between 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 inches. As huntingfield mentioned, the
nacelles are pretty narrow up front.

I hope this helps, and I've attached a photo to show some of the geometry of the motor mounts, etc.

I was not able to fly my Widgeon this past weekend, due to lack of testicular fortitude. I haven't flown anything for about three months and consider myself to be rusty on the sticks. Just to knock some of the rust off, yesterday (Saturday) morning, I did a few laps of the lake with my trusty PBY, which flies like a trainer (in my opinion).

Cheers,
Grog
Thanks Grog!! That will help a lot!
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:22 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngrog View Post
baddb1;

I forgot to comment on the servo installation. I would stick with the recommended servos for the ailerons since it is such a tight (water resistant) fit. I believe that other servos could be made to fit, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. As to the elevator and rudder servos, there is plenty of room in the fuselage, and I'm sure almost any mini-sized servo could be made to fit.

Cheers,
Grog
No worries on using different aileron servos, at least HXT900s. A couple of minutes work with a small Dremel sanding drum in the larger round hole in the hatch made HXT900 servos fit perfectly in the openings in the hatches. Only had to remove about 1/32 more ply. No work needed in the smaller part of the hole. Even if you overgrind a touch, a small blob of RTV sealer around this area of the servo when mounting it would seal things up nicely.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:37 AM
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
Joined Jul 2001
223 Posts
Just ordered my motors and ESC from HobbyPartz yesterday - 2 Exceed RC Rocket 2215-1050Kv and 2 Exceed RC Proton 30A Brushless ESC Speed Controllers. I'm going to take my time with this one, since I've been rushing on finishing too many projects lately & making silly mistakes.
kdhanson is offline Find More Posts by kdhanson
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:11 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,278 Posts
My g-44

I installed the recommended rimfire motors in my widgeon. Found it flew but with marginal power even here at sea level. Have now installed two eflite 480's, developing 470 watts now. Had to do a bit of cowl surgery but end result turned out nice. Using castle 35's for esc's Will be much more pleasing now I think. The front windows on mine popped free on the 3rd flight.They are very thin and not securly glued in so I would suggest you check yours prior to flying. Regarding aileron servos I used hs 82's and simply hot glued them to the mounting plate without the wooden spacer block as the wing is so thin even 82's are to thick. Have found it to be a great little flier. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by menksters View Post
I installed the recommended rimfire motors in my widgeon. Found it flew but with marginal power even here at sea level. Have now installed two eflite 480's, developing 470 watts now. Had to do a bit of cowl surgery but end result turned out nice. Using castle 35's for esc's Will be much more pleasing now I think. The front windows on mine popped free on the 3rd flight.They are very thin and not securly glued in so I would suggest you check yours prior to flying. Regarding aileron servos I used hs 82's and simply hot glued them to the mounting plate without the wooden spacer block as the wing is so thin even 82's are to thick. Have found it to be a great little flier. donnie
Menksters - I have to ask...are you really in Colorado? Because the sea level comment has me very confused
pookielips1954 is online now Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:37 PM
Joined Apr 2008
382 Posts
Are the new Supertigre 400 motors big enough for this plane? The ST 400 is 10 less watts but is the same size physically and the recommended prop sizes are the same. They use the same mount and my local HS has them in stock. I do not think my order from HK will be here for Friday and our club float fly is Sat.
chistech is offline Find More Posts by chistech
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:26 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
923 Posts
Menksters, I don't get it. The videos in this thread show the G-44 with recommended stock motors. The plane appears to be hauling around with more than enough power, aerobatics and all? And what does sea level have to do with it? This is an electric plane, no carbuerator(s), no fuel air mixture to worry about? Just wondering?
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Last edited by Fast Freddy; Oct 20, 2011 at 07:32 AM.