HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:40 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
flitetest has a review video up on youtube if you want to check it out.

At work so can't link it, but if noone has when i get home i will.

This plane looks so cool, I'm thinking of making it my first FPV plane. Already thinking about what type of power upgrades will or can be done to this plane.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,101 Posts
Here is the link to the flite test
and yes APV seems almost ready

Flite Test - Horizon Hobby ICON A5 - REVIEW (9 min 47 sec)
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:43 PM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Still too early for the Icon A5...lakes here are not frozen yet For a good start a February release should be aimed at...
anj4de is offline Find More Posts by anj4de
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:16 AM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
311 Posts
They're here. Saw 3 at the HS today. They Look really sweet in the box. These are going to be a must have for this coming season.
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
I should be flying right now!
United States, IN, Crown Point
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
I think I am getting one for my birthday in a few weeks, I could tell by the ?'s my wife was asking.
al1242 is offline Find More Posts by al1242
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1242 View Post
I think I am getting one for my birthday in a few weeks, I could tell by the ?'s my wife was asking.
You Sir, have a wonderful wife!
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:58 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
Way too lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1242 View Post
Don't get rid of her!!!

By all means keep her happy!!

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
Don't get rid of her!!!

By all means keep her happy!!

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
No plans to get rid of her, lol. 25 years in April, taking her to Hawaii, just trying to figure out how to get a plane on the plane.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,238 Posts
Mine

has arrived at the LHS. Plan to pick it up today. Maiden in a couple of days. Was concerned a bit about the 480 and planed on putting a eflite 10 in it but based on he review here seems to do o.k?? Will see shortly. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:23 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
311 Posts
Eflite 10? Hells no.. Grab a turnigy for less than half the price.

The stock power looks to be pretty good though.
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:30 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
When and If I get one, I will glass the bottom and leave the wheels off since I will only fly it off the water and then in the winter, the snow on top of the ice on the lake. Now with the announcements of all the new micros coming out, I may just wait a long time. I have a Super Cub, Seawind, Champ, all that I can fly off the water now. So who knows.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Hey guys, here's a quick review of mine which I maidened yesterday.
Special thanks to user "fishfingers" for pointing out that my prop was on backwards. This review was updated to reflect the change in performance.

The Build
Simple as with other Parkzone planes. Place the wing spar through the fuse, slide the wings on, connecting the servos. A single screw keeps each wing on. Two screws secure the horizontal stab. All servo rods are attached except the one for the horizontal stab so pop that one on. Then, since I'm using mine just for the water, three screws in each of the three landing gear covers. Lastly, place the few pieces on the motor that hold the prop on. Ensure the side of the prop that has the "9x8" printed on it faces toward the front of the plane. I got the PNP model so I installed a receiver next. I then downloaded the settings for my DX8 from the Parkzone website and installed it. An important note, do not handle the bird by any of the silver painted surfaces because it comes off on your hand! Horizon suggests waiting a couple of weeks before handling by the silver areas. Someone suggested coating it with minwax polycrylic semigloss. Paint does NOT come off from water take offs and landings.

Maiden (water only)
Water take off and landing were easier than I anticipated and kinda fun. Ensure that all your movement on the water is almost completely parallel to the wind since the wind tends to sneak up under the wing and tip the plane while moving on the water. It doesn't tip it over, it just pushes the opposing wing into the water. That could be a problem if you're going fast.

Power is adequate to pull out and climb. Loops and rolls were comfortable and smooth. This plane does fly very similar the Parkzone T28 Trojan as Josh mentioned in the FliteTest video review above.

The winds yesterday were around 15 mph and that made the bird a little more shaky on the roll axis than I would have liked. This morning, I successfully flew a Sky Surfer (Bixler, Easy Star) with a gyro on the ailerons for the first time and the results were just awesome. I'll be doing the same thing on the Icon. That will eliminate that shakiness.

The glide path is beautiful. I just cut all power and floated to the water surface. I don't have a great feel for this plane yet but it seems that it really likes slow speeds.

I got about a tablespoon of water in the hull/fuselage per flight. This is concerning since the rudder servo is mounted at the bottom of the fuselage. I placed a bit of white silicone around the edges of the front landing gear mount and that seems to have prevented most of the water coming in, but there was still a bit. Also, during a rough water landing, some water got into the canopy itself and there's no way to get in there to dry it out.

Conclusion
Overall, I'm very satisfied with this bird. It's stunning looks and aerobatic capabilities make this a very balanced model.

My dilema now is trying to figure out how to mount this vertically against my wall like my other planes. It's difficult since there's nothing underneath the plane when equipped for the water. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I subscribed to this thread so feel free to shoot me any questions. I'll try to answer them as best I can.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Last edited by lkagan; Feb 03, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:12 PM
Murfreesboro
Joined Jun 2009
300 Posts
Sounds like your battery is not up to snuff, or your prop is on backwards. Icons I've seen live and in video seem to climb just fine.
fishfingers is offline Find More Posts by fishfingers
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined May 2010
450 Posts
Thanks for the review!
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfingers View Post
Sounds like your battery is not up to snuff, or your prop is on backwards. Icons I've seen live and in video seem to climb just fine.
Both of these are very good troubleshooting tips. The two lipos I used are the same 40c 2200 mAh lipo packs I use for my T28 and Stryker so they are confirmed good. However, the prop being on backwards is a definite possibility. I'll check on that this evening and hopefully I can get another flight in this evening. If that's the case, I'll certainly update this review and apologize in advance if I steered anyone wrong with my review. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer these suggestions. I forgot that the manual has a troubleshooting section and both of those suggestions were in that section. Another possibility listed in the manual is that the ambiant temperature is too cold. I live in South Florida and the weather is perfect outside so that's not the case.

Thanks again!

Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan