HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:10 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,542 Posts
Quote:
Doubtful unless you store the model in water.
Yeah, as long as you don't tie it you your dock and leave it you'll be fine.

Also, remember to clean all weeds and grasses off the plane before transporting it I don't know about other places, but around here there's a big fine if you get caught moving a boat that has Eurasian milfoil (an invasive aquatic plant) on it.

I wonder how that affects (full-scale) planes that take off and land on water? Is the pilot supposed to hang out of the cockpit with a rag on a stick and wipe down his floats before he lands?
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:53 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post
I wonder how that affects (full-scale) planes that take off and land on water? Is the pilot supposed to hang out of the cockpit with a rag on a stick and wipe down his floats before he lands?
HAHA I'd love to see that.

I doubt anyone has a dock small enough to tie this plane to anyways.
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:04 AM
Joined Aug 2009
12,542 Posts
Quote:
I doubt anyone has a dock small enough to tie this plane to anyways.
Oh, you'd be surprised
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:07 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,297 Posts
I probably shouldn't say this, but it's late and I may not be thinking clearly.

OK, I had my fun...need to remove the non-family-friendly bits.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Dave Eichstedt; Aug 04, 2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:26 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
I probably shouldn't say this...
Edit: Looking forward to the A5
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bajora; Aug 05, 2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:52 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
I probably shouldn't say this, but it's late and I may not be thinking clearly.

Nobody wants to be accused of having a small dock...
Is float planes like the pickup trucks out in the parking lot here at work? The size of the float plane would be inversely proportionate to the size of the dock?
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Aug 04, 2011, 03:14 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish View Post
There is one disappointment for me with this plane. Matt from HH stated there is no plastic bottom on the plane. Eventually, the foam will get water soaked and most likely not last long. I recommend coating the bottom with epoxy or something.
For other floatplanes, I add strips of that flexy kitchen cutting board stuff so I can fly off asphalt. Or those cheapy paper binders from Walmart. Real thin plastic, very flexible. Just cut to fit, spray 3M77 on both parts and wait a few minutes. Then push together and hold for a while. Makes the bottoms super slick and durable against the pavement. When I wear a hole, I just do it again.

With this thing having wheels, it won't be an issue, though. Jus sayin....
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:33 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
First, foam will absorb some water. It will dry out fast though. It should not deteriorate the foam, but will absorb and hold some water.

I extrude, expand, and mold EPP for work. If water deteriorated foam, we would not be able to mold it. It is molded with high pressure steam and the parts cooled with water. Water won't hurt molded beads foam one bit. The beads aren't glued together with an adhesive or anything, they are heated and melted together. Water isn't going to de-melt plastic last I knew (just made that word up, de-melt....)

Now if only I can talk my boss into building a couple of airframe molds for our presses......
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:08 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
If you are worried about the foam, why can't you glass the bottom?? It would add just a little weight, but you would have hard bottom.

Looks great. I love float planes. Guess that is because it is just 50 feet from the back door to the float flying dock. Yep, I got my own float flying dock. Right now I am fly a Super Cub on floats. I have had this plane for over a year and I had two flights this evening.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:23 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
3 words.... New Revenue Stream

You can be in charge of R&D and testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Now if only I can talk my boss into building a couple of airframe molds for our presses......
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:24 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
426 Posts
You can easily glass the bottom, I did with my Z-foam Seawind. Used very light glass cloth, and Minwax water based polycrylic. Painted it with water based acrylics mixed to correct color, then another coat of WBPC on top. Works fantastic, adds very little weight, but lots of strength. You'll want to do this if you fly the plane off snow, since if it hits patches of ice the foam WILL tear and look nasty.
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:21 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
This plane looks great, my problem is that it is coming out in Late October. The lakes freeze about early December and with all launches they are usually about 2 to 5 weeks late. So October becomes December, ice, snow abound here then and I wanted to see it fly off water, not snow.

I know it could fly off snow and all float planes do a great job on snow, but for the first flights I would have rather had water.

Oh well, Horizon has their time table, the fellows down South will have a great time.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:31 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,542 Posts
Somewhere in the annals of the Interwebs, there's a video of someone driving an R/C boat on snow. Good stuff.

It WOULD make sense to release it in time for the northern markets, but I suppose Horizon knows what they're doing.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:09 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
KMP has one also. It is much bigger, has retracts on it, 71 inch wing span, 5 and 1/2 pounds, can be gas or electric. I would love it, but too much money.

I will go with this one, learn how to fiberglass the bottom, everyone says it is easy, so even a dummy like me can learn to do it.

I like the design, that along with the Super Cub, my Seawind, and another float plane will be a great addition. 4 float planes, I got a short float plane dock and 4 chase boats. MasterCraft, Pro Star 190, A Larson 14 fit. ski boat, and a 14 ft, Duck Boat and a paddle boat. So I am set, one plane for each boat.

I wish they had brought it out in April, but I can get it, be ready for the spring and fly off the lake during the winter. Flying off snow is a hoot with a float plane.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:16 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Why does everyone have to BLAST the music on every factory video?? Please, it comes on, about deafens me and I have to go to the mute switch or turn the volume down on every video from every manufacturer.

Give our ears a break, LOUDER is NOT BETTER. I worked in a factor for 30 years, what hearing I got left, I want to keep till I die!!
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member