SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
I have yet to fly it on 4s but will do but you will need to upgrade the esc - a bit silly haveing a 30 amp esc rated to 4s !
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinopilot View Post
Ok guys I've read most of the post and I've seen problems....gyro,wing drop,underpowered, not enough prop. I would really love to have this plane but for the money and the over all easy to fly which one should i get this Icon A5 or the seawind by electrifly. I like the look of the A5 and like that it has gear. I am looking into this plane because a lake is closer to my house than a flying field.
Can't comment on seawind as I have not seen or flown one. But the icon as you said is a cool looking plane. It has a considerably bigger wingspan than the Seawind ( 52 vs 39 in) and looks great in the air!!! Despite some of the negative reviews here!!! I think you'll really really like this plane IMHO. I also think ( IMHO) that people are making a much bigger deal out of the tail wag ( or Dutch roll) than it really is. I personally LOVE flying this plane!!!! You can nit pick apart almost ANY plane if you want to,,, yes it does have a few minor flaws,,, but IMHO,,, it's good traits faaaaaaar out weigh its minor bad ones!!! And it's bad ones don't detract from its controllabilaty at all!!! Just my 2cents. If you look at ALL the reviews,, I think you"ll find more good than bad
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
for the record...my review was not BAD it was honest and subjective. Im a columist and reviewer professionally so feel that its always good to look at both sides of any product im reviewing.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, SC
Joined Sep 2010
83 Posts
Cool yea the size wins in my book and I think this plane is just too cool to pass up. I think i will make a trip to the hobby shop asap
dinopilot is offline Find More Posts by dinopilot
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
Registered RC Addict
USA, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Nov 2006
340 Posts
Here is my test flight from over the weekend. I just got the plane last week as well so only a handful of flights so far.

I must say the "tail wag" issue is NOT COOL!

So far the plane has been okay with flight performance (except for the tail wag), but I'm still trying to determine the electrical issue with mine. On the maiden flight I had a controlled crash landing.

I'm not sure if the esc is at fault or the RX. The esc was hot. I swapped out to another Orange RX for now to see if that fixes the issue or not.

Icon A5 Test Flight (2 min 35 sec)
team222badbrad is offline Find More Posts by team222badbrad
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by team222badbrad View Post
Here is my test flight from over the weekend. I just got the plane last week as well so only a handful of flights so far.

I must say the "tail wag" issue is NOT COOL!

So far the plane has been okay with flight performance (except for the tail wag), but I'm still trying to determine the electrical issue with mine. On the maiden flight I had a controlled crash landing.

I'm not sure if the esc is at fault or the RX. The esc was hot. I swapped out to another Orange RX for now to see if that fixes the issue or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxnj...1&feature=plcp
What a great perspective! Would you mind taking a couple of pics of your cockpit mod so we can copy it?

Thanks!

Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
Some flying I did last weekend with my icon

Doing some pylon & dock barnstorming in my Parkzone Icon A5 RC plane with crash at the end (5 min 33 sec)
99BlackSS is offline Find More Posts by 99BlackSS
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
841 Posts
My Icon is flying great so far! It is lacking some power but I am a 3D/Aerobatic pilot. It took a while to get use to, but after you get use to the power it has, it is a very fun plane! The tail on mine does not wiggle at all. We put a 4s in it and it helped it a little bit. The esc on mine is remaining decent temps also. My friends flip it up side down in the water and no damage was done. We were thinking about taking a light cote of epoxy and covering the bottom to get it a slick feel.

So far I am happy with this purchase!
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Maybe the 4s gives it better ballance.... no idea... Im swapping mine out to. Yep, Im the same as you as all my fleet are 3D / Imac planes ranging from 50` to 90` electrics so im a little " underwhelmed " by the power but then again, its not meant to be a 1:1 power beast. It actually flys VERY scale.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:43 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BlackSS View Post
Some flying I did last weekend with my icon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWhD1...e_gdata_player
WOW, sucks about the "splash down" at the end! Great vid and great flying what looked like a tip stall or wing tip scrap on that last corner! I assume all was ok? The lipo hung on by the connector so hopefully the water did not short it out.

At first I thought you were flying FPV you were so far off ... Thanks for posting.

Marlin
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:56 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
I plan on FPV`ing mine but I guess a Gopro ( aqua version ) would be the only option at THIS point that could work
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:52 AM
Registered RC Addict
USA, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Nov 2006
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
What a great perspective! Would you mind taking a couple of pics of your cockpit mod so we can copy it?

Thanks!

Larry
First I must share this picture from my maiden flight at an actual airport.

The mod is very simple. All you need is an xacto knife, drill, and dremel.

Just remove some foam where the RX is supposed to go and cut a hole where the lens aligns with the plastic backing of the canopy.

I recommend at all costs trying your best to keep the plastic bits out of the canopy otherwise it's a fun time vacuuming and blowing them back out the small hole you just made.
team222badbrad is offline Find More Posts by team222badbrad
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:18 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
I have a Seawind. I put the next larger motor on it. The plane is just a tad over my ability, but I loved it. I could go straight up on full throttle. It is slick, you are alwaays on the sticks, it has no bad habits other than taxiing in the water. I built a larger water rudder, now there is no problem. I used Corrosion X on it, Red Label and had no trouble with the electronics. I taped the front of the canopy to keep it on, I have seen others who put a screw in the back, used some thin plywood for tab in the front to keep the canopy on.

It is a great flying airplane. I had to paint the wing tips to make sure that I could keep orentation on it. Red on one side, Green on the other. I also painted the ailerons the same. Red on top, green on the bottom.

I wanted one of these, but with all the problems with the tail, I think there are other planes that I can get and will suit my needs better.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:09 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
312 Posts
The tail wag doesn't look THAT bad. I've watched a few videos with the on board cams. There is some tail wag there. Looks pretty minimal. What's the big deal?
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Mainly directional stability issues are the big deal. A tendency to hunt means that throttle changes tend to result in trim changes and that generally demonstrates several issues. Look, it's a low cost bit of fun so it's not a big deal, just would be more fun sorted