Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
Rave
Weasel Pro or Mini Weasel

Hey everybody,
I am going to get a Weasel, but I am not sure which one. Right now I am leaning towards the Mini Weasel because of it's portability and the ability to do the SAL. I also like the looks of it, and it costs $15 less than the Weasel Pro, which would allow me to get a better transmitter (all I have right now is a Focus 3 FM), like the Flash 5X. I do have prior experience on a Zagi 400X that I have modified to a powered/glider convertible. I have gotten pretty good with it, and the best manuver I have done with it is an outside immelman. I was actually attempting to do an outside loop - just to see if it could - but I realized that it won't climb inverted, so I rolled out of it. I have gotten to the point where I can do those with the wing down too about 1 foot off of the ground, completely under control. I am hoping that this is enough experience for a Mini Weasel, because they look like they can really handle. I do have a question about them, though. Can the Mini Weasels thermal? Where I am, there aren't that many sloping areas that are very close, although there are a few. I plan to get a bungee launcher for it, if I get a Mini Weasel. I am also curious as to which plane everyone likes better, the Weasel Pro or the Mini Weasel. Thanks for your help.
Web is offline Find More Posts by Web
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2003, 11:33 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
You forgot the most important poll option: both

It sounds like you should go with a miniWeasel, because that's what you're really into. The new Pros are awesome, but the miniWeasel has been updated as well, so if you really want one, I think you should go ahead and get one. There's really nothing else like it available on the market.

The miniWeasel will thermal, but it's not in the same category as a dedicated, hardcore DLG/HLG. But I've done tons of thermalling with mine, and it's fine as long as the thermals are pretty good. Just remember that it's a slope plane first, and thermal plane second (or third), and you won't be too disappointed.

A miniWeasel on a bungee sounds like a TON of fun. I can have a blast just doing side arm launches in a park, but having a bungee could become seriously addictive!

Hope that helps, no matter which one you choose, you can't really go wrong.

Check out the Weasel / miniWeasel owner's group if you like:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flyWeasel/

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2003, 11:58 PM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
forgot to mention

I forgot to mention that you can vote for both of them in the poll.

Steve, I knew you would have something to say about this! I have read other threads on Weasels, and you were in every one of them.

A Mini Weasel on a bungie sounds fun to me because I have seen how high and fast people can get it on just a SAL, so a bungie would be great. Thanks for the quick reply.
Last edited by Web; Sep 05, 2003 at 12:03 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2003, 12:19 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,296 Posts
Don't forget also that you can use a fishing pole launcher. I use one on my weasel pro and can get some decent distance (not like a DLG or bungee of course) which gives me enough time to do a loop or roll or two. I'd imagine that it would give you plenty of start on a thermal or urban DSing and you'd probably get better distance on a mini-weasel as well.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Sep 05, 2003, 01:14 AM
San Diego
Joined Sep 2001
413 Posts
Another question is if yer $ concerned is that if you want to use existing servos, or plan on, or you all ready have micro servos for the mini weasel?

Do you want to buy a weasel,

or do you want to buy a mini weasel and servos?

Johnny..................
Lil' Johnny is offline Find More Posts by Lil' Johnny
Old Sep 05, 2003, 09:29 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Johnny
Another question is if yer $ concerned is that if you want to use existing servos, or plan on, or you all ready have micro servos for the mini weasel?
This is a very good point. You'll want to use either the $24.95 Cirrus CS-5.4 (the miniWeasel has servo cut-outs which fit the CS-5.4) or else $27.45 the Hitec HS-50.

In addition, you'll need to get a submicro receiver. If you plan to fly slope at a site with other people, you'll want to use a dual conversion Rx like the $58.95 Hitec Electron 6 with the case removed, the $54.95 FMA M5, or else a $59.99 Berg 4 Microstamp, which is single conversion but of very high quality and performance.

If you go with one the cheapie ($20) single conversion receivers like the Hitec Feather or Cirrus MRX-4, you'll get TONS of frequency hits if others are flying and basically be grounded (unless you enjoy hiking).

If you figure in a battery (Michael sells some really nice NiMH packs for both planes--just ask him about them), then it's going to run around $130 for a decent miniWeasel flight pack. This is compared with the Weasel Pro, which will run about $10 less if you use HS-81MGs (strongly recommended) or about $20 less if you use standard HS-81s (but you may have more problems with servos stripping with the non-metal gear servos).

So in the end, the $15 difference in price between the miniWeasel and the Weasel Pro is a wash, because the cost of the sub-micro servos for the miniWeasel is pretty high compared to the "standard" micro servos used in the Weasel.

You can use slightly larger servos in the miniWeasel, but you will lose a lot of light lift performance by building it heavier than about 5oz. This may not matter if you plan to fly primarily at the slope. You could probably get away with using some Cirrus CS-6.2 which are currently on sale at HobbyPeople for $14.99, but they are bigger than the 5.4 so you'll have to do some cutting to make them fit.

Hope that helps...enjoy whichever one you decide on!

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2003, 04:43 PM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
I was wondering about that part

I was wondering about which servos I would have to use. I have some HS-81s, but those would be too big for the Mini Weasel. My plan with the Mini Weasel was to be able to put it in a backpack with the fin removed and ride my bike to a sloping spot, or have it in there when I am mountain biking, and if I found a good spot, fly there. Could I still do this with a Weasel Pro? I would like to be able to use the spare gear I already have. I have a 555 receiver and HS-81 micro servos. Or, if it wouldn't fit in a backpack, do you think would be alright to find some used HS-50s and get a Mini? I would have to get a different receiver too. This would make it more expensive. Thanks for bringing that up, or I would have realized to late that I needed new servos and a receiver.
Old Sep 05, 2003, 04:47 PM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
One more part. Is the Electron 6 a replacement for the 555? Or is it completely new. Basically what I'm getting at is could I use my 555. Because if I can, I will probably get some HS-50s and a Mini Weasel.

Web
Old Sep 05, 2003, 05:24 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
You can use a 555 if you remove the case, but it is a little bit heavier than the Electron 6. The Electron 6 is a replacement for the 555, and it is completely new. It is much smaller than the 555, and if you remove the case on the Electron 6 is will work great for a miniWeasel. The 555 works, too, but you'll probably need to cut some foam to get it to fit, once you've removed its case and shrink wrapped it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2003, 05:28 PM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
I guess I could do that

I could probably do that to the 555. It would save me some money, at least. But how would I go about doing this?

Web
Old Sep 05, 2003, 05:31 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Open up the case, take out the guts, get a big piece of shrink tubing, fit it over the internals, heat with heat gun (don't go crazy, just enough to shrink the tubing), voila

I bet cobalt could dig up instructions somewhere...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2003, 05:43 PM
Web
OUCH...
Nevada City, California
Joined Sep 2002
210 Posts
I've got some shrink tubing that would probably be perfect. It is 1" in diameter. This might actually be to big, but I could probably find a way to make it work. Thanks for all of the quick replies, the are very helpful.

Web
Old Sep 05, 2003, 07:18 PM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by surfimp
Open up the case, take out the guts, get a big piece of shrink tubing, fit it over the internals, heat with heat gun (don't go crazy, just enough to shrink the tubing), voila

I bet cobalt could dig up instructions somewhere...
Well, Steve's instructions work for me but since he asked...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=68394
http://www.servocity.com/ServoCity/P...cro_fm_rx.html

Jason
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt
Old Sep 05, 2003, 07:42 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Thanks Jason, you da man!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2003, 10:05 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,296 Posts
"My plan with the Mini Weasel was to be able to put it in a backpack with the fin removed and ride my bike to a sloping spot, or have it in there when I am mountain biking, and if I found a good spot, fly there. Could I still do this with a Weasel Pro?"

Yes you certainly can, I ride with me weasel pro to my local slope. Just don't glue the pin inserts (I use tape instead) and take out the fin and disconnect the elevons when you put it into your bag. I am looking for a cheap back pack from a $2 shop to cut up and make into a custom carry pack with enough room for my Tx and a water bottle. Do you have a set of panniers as I imagine that it could be carried just as well on them? Just make sure your bag is big enough to support most of the plane as when you are riding along at 40kph you generate a decent amount of drag with all that wing area :-) Obviously a mini-weasel would be more portable, but it is no trouble to carry a weasel pro.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline