HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:16 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,224 Posts
Discussion
Jet World Masters 2011

I just got home from the Jet World Masters 2011 event at the United States Air Force Museum, or whatever they are calling the museum these days. It was very hot, and quite windy, but that didn't stop the turbine pilots. My 3 year old son and I, along with a few hundred locals, were there this morning watching several turbine RC airplanes in flight. It was very impressive.

The tents were just opening when we left (my son ran out of juice...), but we saw quite a few airplanes being readied for flight. A beautiful F-14 from Japan was being assembled as we walked past. It was equiped with full swept wings, twin turbine engines, speed flaps, true scale spoilers (instead of ailerons just like the real airplane), and much more. It was amazing, especially for a foamy EDF flyer like myself.

A Russian chap, who came all the way from- yes, you guessed it- Russia, had an issue this morning. He fired up his Mig 15 right in front of the crowd and did his runups. It was extremely loud, and quite impressive. Unfortunately, after taxing to the runway, the engine quit. Not sure exactly what happened, but he didn't look happy.

A very cool turboprop flew. It used a miniature turbine that used the same basic design as a Pratt & Whitney full scale airplane, or so the anouncer said. It's amazing how far the turbine world has come.

Well, I didn't bring my camera with me this time, but I plan to go back over the next few days, and I'll try to post some shots. Today, for me, it's just too dang hot (95 and high humidity), but hopefully it will be better as the days pass.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:20 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,224 Posts
Oh, as a side note, the jets are being flown on the exact same runway that Chuck Yeager, Bob Hoover, and others used after the war. In fact, this is where Chuck and Bob met when Bob swooped in on Chuck for a no-bullet dog fight. It is also at the exact spot where the airforce developed it's laser designation technology for precision guided bombs. And lastly, I'm pretty sure they've got the aliens in the hanger about a 1/4 mile away.. lol If you ever find yourself in Dayton, Ohio, make sure you stop by the museum. You won't be dissapointed, I promise.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:58 AM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Aug 2010
163 Posts
I also attended on sunday, I brought my Camera here are some of the pics I got, now the only thing that sucks worse than my camera is the guy using it, but here are some of the pics that I got. I am sure that there are better pictures out there, and I cant wait to see them.
Kwilletts is offline Find More Posts by Kwilletts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined Aug 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
Oh, as a side note, the jets are being flown on the exact same runway that Chuck Yeager, Bob Hoover, and others used after the war. In fact, this is where Chuck and Bob met when Bob swooped in on Chuck for a no-bullet dog fight. It is also at the exact spot where the airforce developed it's laser designation technology for precision guided bombs. And lastly, I'm pretty sure they've got the aliens in the hanger about a 1/4 mile away.. lol If you ever find yourself in Dayton, Ohio, make sure you stop by the museum. You won't be dissapointed, I promise.
Nah the aliens are in the underground bunker below the pay lakes to the Northeast of the base, everytime I drive through there on the way to work or home from, the aliens kill my cell signal, without fail everytime. I guess its time to start wearing tinfoil hats to keep the aliens outta my brain. Me and my friends joke everytime I drop a call there they ask when I call back "Did the aliens get you???"
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
163 Posts
Ok so I am a junkie, who is fortunate enough to get mondays off.. I revisited JWM today, after a brief visit to Sams Club with the wife and son to pick up our brand new camera! So then we took our new camera and went to the show, in hopes to see other planes that didnt fly Sunday. I didnt get to see the A10 fly, but I did get to see the blackbird and the mig 29 fly. Anyway 700+ pictures, and a video, which I think is messed up do to the included flash card with the camera. Anyway here is some of the shots I got today!

Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:36 AM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
557 Posts
I went out to the Jet World Masters on Saturday for the final air show. What a huge disapointment. Most of the flyers packed up and went home already and it seemed like the final show was sort of unorganized. I understand that it was two weeks of the hottest, most humid weather that Dayton has seen in a while and the teams were exhausted. The venders even took off and went home. There were a handful of jets and pilots that were still there to put on the "air show". It was nice to see what jets were left at least. My favorite was the glider with the turbine power. That pilot really had skills and at several moments I held my breath, thinking the wings were going to fold on him. We did see the A-10 fly. After a beautiful flight, he crashed it on landing. Not major damage and I expect it will fly again.

The highlight of the day was when the MC told us about the Flying Circus at Hamilton, OH. We drove down there for the show on Sunday. That was the best air show we have seen in a long time. What a great event! It made our long drive from Pittsburgh extremely worth it.
markarch is offline Find More Posts by markarch
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:27 PM
THAT'S WHY
Eastern Ohio
Joined Aug 2004
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch View Post

The highlight of the day was when the MC told us about the Flying Circus at Hamilton, OH. We drove down there for the show on Sunday. That was the best air show we have seen in a long time. What a great event! It made our long drive from Pittsburgh extremely worth it.
Did any jets fly in the Flying Circus?
I was at the JWM Friday and Saturday and flew in the "open flying" after the competition. My buddy from Cincinnati asked if I would fly my jet in the Circus on Saturday but I had to head home.
causeitflys is offline Find More Posts by causeitflys
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:24 AM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
557 Posts
Yep there were two jets at the Flying Circus. There was a turbine "Hot Shot" It sorta looked like a Parkzone Stryker. I have never seen that model before but it was beautiful and fast. There was a BVM Electra as well. They put on a show highlighting their speed in comparison to all of the warbirds that were featured.
markarch is offline Find More Posts by markarch
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
Jet world masters pictures

I was at the show with my brother in law and son. We drove down from Canada and spent Saturday taking photos of the planes in action.
Please visit my site to see the images.
www.rvision.ca and here is the link : http://rvision.smugmug.com/Airplanes

Great show and yes a very hot day. I really liked the Tudor jet, being Canadian of course. We met a few folks that worked on site and they shared some interesting stories with us. All in all a great day.

enjoy the pictures
Rick
rdguy is offline Find More Posts by rdguy