HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2011, 01:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
I'm NO fan of e-flite, and I make no secret of that fact.

I purchased an MCPX, and I am in LOVE with it

Contradiction above aside, just about ANY CP heli can be toned down in the TX settings/programming and make a decent CP trainer.
mhunter is offline Find More Posts by mhunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:07 AM
Bonney Lake, WA
Joined Jan 2002
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and shake my finger at the author of the review. There is NO 450 that's excellent for a beginner, training wheels or not. Since I've seen your flying skills, you are far from a beginner. Give that outfit to a beginner with a set of training gears, it'll take the person less than an hour to destroy it completely. No....you should state with the HELP of an instructor, it MIGHT be excellent for a beginner. I'm NO fan of e-flite, and I make no secret of that fact. HOWEVER, I purchased an MCPX, and I am in LOVE with it, and it would be a better beginner helicopter WITH assistance from an experienced heli pilot. The MCPX can take MANY hits in grass and not be damaged.
Just because YOU would be incapable as a beginner to learn to fly on a 450 size, doesn't mean the AVERAGE person couldn't do the same....
flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by flyfalcons
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:25 AM
essex uk
Joined Apr 2010
15 Posts
Hi ive just purchased the blade 450 3d and noticed the tail rotor blades need tightening, thing is i cant for the life of me fathom out how?

Any help would be very much appreciated
dotster35 is offline Find More Posts by dotster35
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:17 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotster35 View Post
Hi ive just purchased the blade 450 3d and noticed the tail rotor blades need tightening, thing is i cant for the life of me fathom out how?

How loose are the tail blades? It's okay for them to be a little loose.

To tighten them up, you can use a small allen wrench in the end of the ball on the blade grips, and you probably have to hold the other side with a plier.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotster35 View Post

What CSpaced said...

I would like to add that the "front" ball (i.e. the one closest to you when looking at the tail from the side) is the part with the stud. It threads into the "rear ball". Also, there is one spacer/shim per tail blade. It goes on the side of the T/R blade closest to you if you pull the blade out of the grip and it falls off. Be absolutely SURE to use thread locking compound when you put it back together because the rear "nut" has no lock nut insert of any type.

I thought these balls were strange looking as I'd never seen them on the tail of any heli before. Turns out they're some kind of weight that's supposed to make the tail blades track smoother and take some load off the T/R servo. Don't know if that's true, but I recently read that somewhere.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Sep 2010
300 Posts
Good for a Beginner? You tell me.

Well, I had absolutely no intention of buying a helicopter. Didn't know a fly bar from a wet bar. Spending all my free time (what little there is), flying slope or flying my FPV rig. That said, that pesky extra 'Model Type' setting on my 9303 kept calling out to me. So after reading this article, I bought the Blade 450 yesterday. My only prior experience was some 'around the house' fun with a small coaxial heli. Since I have a good computer radio and plenty of 2200mah batteries (even 30C rated), the price on this seemed right.

Read a ton of information on the rchelicopterfun.com site including the flight school pages and videos. Took a long time reading through the JR Heli manual and plugging in all the settings recommended by Horizon using the DX8 addendum. Note that a couple of the cyclic servos were reversed and the receiver was silent while binding (no beeping or blinking like I'm familiar with in Spektrum plane receivers/ESCs). Once bound, it beeps and blinks normally.

Slapped on the training gear and finally did my first spool up late afternoon. Wow. This is an exciting hobby. I started slow with spooling up and checking the blade path. Then dragging around the ground. I was on asphalt (no ice or snow in sunny southern California) and it was unnerving when the training gear caught on pebbles. Then as the sun was setting I was lifting off about 2 feet and working on hovering exercises. Did not progress to figure 8's, but maybe later today.

All that while the tail was oscillating like mad. Couldn't figure out what was wrong but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't fly. A little research after sundown last night showed that the receiver on this heli uses the Gear channel for the gyro and the 9303 uses Aux 2 so I guess my gyro settings were all screwed up. The quick fix is to reduce travel on Gear to 56 (per manual for gyro setting on normal), but then I can't switch to 54.5 when I eventually go into Stunt 1 or 2. When I get to that point, I guess I'll monkey around with a mix.

So...learned a lot about helis (theory, mechanics, parts, etc.). Got some skulling around on the ground and 2 feet in the air under my belt. Dreamt about flying that thing all night and am kicking myself for not throwing it in the trunk of my car for a quick lunchtime get away. Kind of feels like I'm stepping out on my fixed wings.

Not sure if it's a good heli for all beginners, but I think it was for this one. Of course, if you have any tips for me, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Infernal Bill is offline Find More Posts by Infernal Bill
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Bill View Post
Well, I had absolutely no intention of buying a helicopter. Didn't know a fly bar from a wet bar. Spending all my free time (what little there is), flying slope or flying my FPV rig. That said, that pesky extra 'Model Type' setting on my 9303 kept calling out to me. So after reading this article, I bought the Blade 450 yesterday. My only prior experience was some 'around the house' fun with a small coaxial heli. Since I have a good computer radio and plenty of 2200mah batteries (even 30C rated), the price on this seemed right.

Read a ton of information on the rchelicopterfun.com site including the flight school pages and videos. Took a long time reading through the JR Heli manual and plugging in all the settings recommended by Horizon using the DX8 addendum. Note that a couple of the cyclic servos were reversed and the receiver was silent while binding (no beeping or blinking like I'm familiar with in Spektrum plane receivers/ESCs). Once bound, it beeps and blinks normally.

Slapped on the training gear and finally did my first spool up late afternoon. Wow. This is an exciting hobby. I started slow with spooling up and checking the blade path. Then dragging around the ground. I was on asphalt (no ice or snow in sunny southern California) and it was unnerving when the training gear caught on pebbles. Then as the sun was setting I was lifting off about 2 feet and working on hovering exercises. Did not progress to figure 8's, but maybe later today.

All that while the tail was oscillating like mad. Couldn't figure out what was wrong but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't fly. A little research after sundown last night showed that the receiver on this heli uses the Gear channel for the gyro and the 9303 uses Aux 2 so I guess my gyro settings were all screwed up. The quick fix is to reduce travel on Gear to 56 (per manual for gyro setting on normal), but then I can't switch to 54.5 when I eventually go into Stunt 1 or 2. When I get to that point, I guess I'll monkey around with a mix.

So...learned a lot about helis (theory, mechanics, parts, etc.). Got some skulling around on the ground and 2 feet in the air under my belt. Dreamt about flying that thing all night and am kicking myself for not throwing it in the trunk of my car for a quick lunchtime get away. Kind of feels like I'm stepping out on my fixed wings.

Not sure if it's a good heli for all beginners, but I think it was for this one. Of course, if you have any tips for me, I'm all ears. Thanks.
That's awesome Bill! Learning helis is very exciting, and I get excited by proxy! Sounds to me like you are doing everything you should be doing, just switch the gyro channel around and you'll be set.

Keep working on those hovering excercises, it will pay off! Once you're comfortable hovering with the nose pointed in any direction, forward flight will be easy.

Keep us updated on your progress!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
CSpaced, how warm/hot does your motor and battery get after a flight? I have my timer set for 6 minutes (might back it down to 5) and the motor gets quite warm. Not hot to the touch, but *almost* hot. My batteries (Hyperion 2200mAh 35C) are noticeably warm, but far from being hot. Just wondering as the "heli guy" at my local LHS says his motor is barely warm after a flight and he pushes his helis pretty hard.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:05 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
CSpaced, how warm/hot does your motor and battery get after a flight? I have my timer set for 6 minutes (might back it down to 5) and the motor gets quite warm. Not hot to the touch, but *almost* hot. My batteries (Hyperion 2200mAh 35C) are noticeably warm, but far from being hot. Just wondering as the "heli guy" at my local LHS says his motor is barely warm after a flight and he pushes his helis pretty hard.
My motor gets pretty warm, the battery stays pretty cool. If it was the other way around I would be worried! All of my electric motors get hot after a flight, as long as the battery and esc don't get hot, things are okay.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
My motor gets pretty warm, the battery stays pretty cool. If it was the other way around I would be worried! All of my electric motors get hot after a flight, as long as the battery and esc don't get hot, things are okay.
So, the battery being a bit warm to the touch is okay? I'm not sure what you mean by "pretty cool". Cool, as in sitting at room temperature and not flown that day?

My LHS recommended the Hyperion 2200mAh 35C, as that's what they use. I did see somewhere else where someone recommended 40C or higher batteries.

How long do you (if you do) let it sit between flights for the motor to cool down?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:19 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
So, the battery being a bit warm to the touch is okay? I'm not sure what you mean by "pretty cool". Cool, as in sitting at room temperature and not flown that day?

My LHS recommended the Hyperion 2200mAh 35C, as that's what they use. I did see somewhere else where someone recommended 40C or higher batteries.

How long do you (if you do) let it sit between flights for the motor to cool down?
The battery can be a little warm to the touch, usually it gets warm on the hotter days we have here (90 degrees with 80 - 90% humidity). On the cooler days (high 60's to 70's, much lower humidity) they only just start to get a little warm. It depends on how hard you fly, I usually fly in idle up for the entire flight.

The 40C batteries will give you a bit more "pop" on the collective, in other words just a little more burst of power when you call for it. You'll notice that the motor won't sag quite as easily from a 35c to a 40c pack.

I never really conciously "let" the motor cool down, sometimes I will do two flights back to back and its fine. However I won't charge or fly a battery pack until it's cooled completely.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CSpaced; Sep 26, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Thanks for the info! And I just bought two more 35C batteries to the tune of almost $100 with connectors. Figures...
Last edited by mhunter; Sep 26, 2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:59 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Sep 2010
300 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info! And I just bought two more 35C batteries to the tune of almost $100 with connectors. Figures...
Holy moley. I've had a lot of good luck with Sky Lipos on fixed wings. Distributor is based in the US and the price is right. Here is 2200mah at 40C: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl2200-3s1p-40c-3333.html
Infernal Bill is offline Find More Posts by Infernal Bill
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Bill View Post
Holy moley. I've had a lot of good luck with Sky Lipos on fixed wings. Distributor is based in the US and the price is right. Here is 2200mah at 40C: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl2200-3s1p-40c-3333.html
I know, but I've just had very, very good experiences with Hyperions. They last and last. I'm not so sure how third rate "no name" batteries hold up. I'd rather spend the cash up front for excellent batteries. I never said the Hyperion 35C batteries weren't good; just that I'd heard the 40Cs were recommended by some people and "more C's" never hurt to have. I got the Blade as a birthday present, but the BNF doesn't come with a battery. I was hell bent on flying it, so I asked the LHS, since they sell Blade stuff and I know some of them fly helis very well, and they said the 35C batts were fine...but that IS also what they had in stock... Again, they perform well, for my flying, and come down a little warm, which is perfectly fine. But, if I could have gotten a little more "pop", as CSpaced calls it, I wished I'd done that from the get-go. Oh well, I only have four batteries for it now. Need MANY more. They will be 40C or higher. I know Hyperion has a 2200mAh 45/90C battery.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
CSpaced, do you have much experience outside of the B450 3D with the E-flite 420 motor? I've never really seen anything good or bad on it, but I know it was also used in the Blade 400 and Blade 400 3D. I'm just wondering about how long I can get out of it before it needs replacing. Sorry for so many questions, but this is my first foray into the "big" E-flite/Blade helis. My other two are the mSR and mCP X.