HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:03 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
I thought about the possibility of grinding down the pins a mm or two. There's still plenty of pin left (about 1/2) in the anti-rotation link base at full positive pitch (full down swashplate).
That was my first thought too, I'll definitely keep an eye on it and if I need to I'll grind the pins down a little.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
deleted... Just realized the review at the top was yours, CSpaced.
mhunter is offline Find More Posts by mhunter
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:14 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Keyrigger, if I may ask... How tight do you set the belt tension? Where you can push it over about 1/2 way? Also, how tight/loose do you run your main blades? I know plenty about glow helis, but I'm pretty new to the mini electrics.
There is an inspection/check hole on the right side of the fuse, just in front of the boom clamp area. I really find it surprising that there is this issue about the swashplate, but I am not doubting it for a minute. Good luck with it.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
There is an inspection/check hole on the right side of the fuse, just in front of the boom clamp area.
I know where to inspect the belt. You can also do it at the top of the T/R gearbox, just forward of the pulley. I was just wondering how tight you set it since you said you've rebuilt three of them. I'm guessing that was because of crashes and not that they were worn out. It's too new...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:39 AM
massachusetts
Joined Mar 2005
401 Posts
Quote:
Look, knock off the Blade bashing, okay? This is NOT a thread for you to slobber all over your Trex clones or whatever and slam the B450.

And, for what it's worth, I learned on a .30 sized glow plastic heli (Shuttle ZX) with wood blades and plain old airplane non-metal gear servos. Futaba S148s, if I remember right. I bashed the heck out of that thing and never stripped a servo and the airframe generally always came out fine. Of course, the blades needed replacing, but that happens with EVERY heli almost every time in any decent crash/tip over.

It wasn't RTF out of the box because either he or someone else jacked it up. Your hint was "it didn't have a manual with those settings". Wrong...there are beginner and intermediate/advanced settings for several TXs, especially the DX6i that comes in the RTF kit, in the manual or the included amended flyer for the DX7/DX8. Mine was definitely RTF enough to hover and do basic forward flight. It's only when I closely looked at a symmetrical 3D pitch curve that I noticed an issue, which is easily fixed, as I've already stated. My tail/gyro/servo combo was rock solid from the first flight on, too.

Who are you to tell me what I can say or not say, also, what kind of thread is this supposed to be about, pumping up a heli that IMO is overpriced ? I simply gave my opinion based on my observations. Did I even mention any of my 450's other than to compare the servos ?

He didn't "jack it up" because he didn't know how to do anything because he was clueless, the rods weren't sized up properly from the start at the factory. It had nothing to do with the settings in the manual, it was a mechanical issue, the servos weren't centered properly either. I asked him if he built it, because I wasn't aware this came RTF, and he told me he didnt do anything because it was supposed to fly out of the box. He was scared to do anything with it, that's why he was asking for help in learning to hover.
tukkus is offline Find More Posts by tukkus
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:22 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,424 Posts
FWIW, the trim settings are only set on the base model, if you select the advanced model on the transmitter you have to manually copy the trim settings to that model memmory first. (it actually references this in the manual)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
FWIW, the trim settings are only set on the base model, if you select the advanced model on the transmitter you have to manually copy the trim settings to that model memmory first. (it actually references this in the manual)
Interesting. Mine was set up well enough that I didn't need a single "beep" of trim on any flight control. Even after mechanically moving my swashplate range a bit lower to lessen the interference from the anti-rotation pins at the top/full negative pitch. Just count the number of turns, as always.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukkus View Post
I asked him if he built it, because I wasn't aware this came RTF
And that, right there, is a HUGE admission of your lack of knowledge about the B450 3D (or anything Blade). It does not come in kit form at all. Only two choices: RTF and BNF, so there's no way he could have "built" a new one himself. In fact there isn't a single E-Flite/Blade heli that comes in kit form.

They test fly these at the factory and, based on how well mine was set up, I believe them. I just needed one minor adjustment for blade tracking and that was it. It hovered and flew just fine out of the box for what ANY beginner would need up through some pretty intermediate-to-advanced stuff, where I needed to adjust the swashplate...but a beginner wouldn't need to do that for a LONG time, if ever. So, I stand by my statement that someone messed with the airframe, no matter what he said.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:51 AM
massachusetts
Joined Mar 2005
401 Posts
Quote:
And that, right there, is a HUGE admission of your lack of knowledge about the B450 3D (or anything Blade). It does not come in kit form at all. Only two choices: RTF and BNF, so there's no way he could have "built" a new one himself. In fact there isn't a single E-Flite/Blade heli that comes in kit form.

They test fly these at the factory and, based on how well mine was set up, I believe them. I just needed one minor adjustment for blade tracking and that was it. It hovered and flew just fine out of the box for what ANY beginner would need up through some pretty intermediate-to-advanced stuff, where I needed to adjust the swashplate...but a beginner wouldn't need to do that for a LONG time, if ever. So, I stand by my statement that someone messed with the airframe, no matter what he said.

I think you are making something out of nothing. Not knowing the heli comes RTF and not in kit form has nothing to do with how the heli was setup or anything in what I have been referring to for that matter. The Blade 450 3D is a belt driven CP heli, for the most part all CP helis are pretty much the same and this one isn't all that much different. By saying they are all the same I am referring to the basic layout of the head/tail/frame.

I don't know why you wouldn't believe the heli wasn't RTF out of the box. I questioned him about what he did to make it ready to fly and he told me he did nothing because he said it's supposed to be ready to fly out of the box, why would he lie about something so basic as to give me information on getting his heli to fly, he simply needed help in learning to hover and I discovered it wasn't even ready to do that.

When I told him he had to adjust the links to the swash he didnt even know what the swash was or how to remove the links, I had to show him and let him borrow my tools.

Why is it so hard for you to believe that they are not all setup properly at the factory.
tukkus is offline Find More Posts by tukkus
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:01 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukkus View Post
Why is it so hard for you to believe that they are not all setup properly at the factory.
Anything is possible, one of the good things about the Blade is it is backed by Horizon Hobby. I'm sure that if someone didn't have a friend to help them out, that Horizon would work with him on getting it straightened out. Another option would be to take it back to the shop he got it from (if it was bought at a LHS) and have them help him out.

But you are right, it is supposed to fly right out of the box. Mine did.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
But you are right, it is supposed to fly right out of the box. Mine did.
As did mine. Hmmm...see a trend here?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and shake my finger at the author of the review. There is NO 450 that's excellent for a beginner, training wheels or not. Since I've seen your flying skills, you are far from a beginner. Give that outfit to a beginner with a set of training gears, it'll take the person less than an hour to destroy it completely. No....you should state with the HELP of an instructor, it MIGHT be excellent for a beginner. I'm NO fan of e-flite, and I make no secret of that fact. HOWEVER, I purchased an MCPX, and I am in LOVE with it, and it would be a better beginner helicopter WITH assistance from an experienced heli pilot. The MCPX can take MANY hits in grass and not be damaged.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:28 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and shake my finger at the author of the review. There is NO 450 that's excellent for a beginner, training wheels or not. Since I've seen your flying skills, you are far from a beginner. Give that outfit to a beginner with a set of training gears, it'll take the person less than an hour to destroy it completely. No....you should state with the HELP of an instructor, it MIGHT be excellent for a beginner. I'm NO fan of e-flite, and I make no secret of that fact. HOWEVER, I purchased an MCPX, and I am in LOVE with it, and it would be a better beginner helicopter WITH assistance from an experienced heli pilot. The MCPX can take MANY hits in grass and not be damaged.
Thanks for posting

I have to disagree, ANY 450 set up correctly with training gear is perfect for a beginner. Anything smaller is a different matter. I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of people on these forums who started out with a 450 sized heli. A 450 is stable, and cheap to repair, plus with Blade the parts availability is excellent at local hobby shops.

Help from an instructor is preferable, but speaking as someone who learned to fly helis without the aid of an instructor, I would still say that given this heli a beginner could be hopping around in no time. With the training gear, and the "softer" beginner settings already programmed in the radio, there is no reason why someone can't take the Blade and start doing some hops without breaking it.

I have an mcpx too, and while it is very durable it will definitely be a handful for a beginner. It's very small, light and fast, and can't handle wind without a lot of correction (which a beginner won't know how to do). To a beginner it will feel twitchy and uncontrollable, where as the 450 will feel much smoother and predictable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post

Give any 'fragile' heli to a beginner and they can destroy it in less than an hour.

So what if the reviewer can fly really good, doesnt mean he cant tell if its stable enough for a beginner to learn on. I have a friend that actually learned to fly on a blade 400 with training gear, this may be amazing to you, but he didnt destroy it in less than an hour!! So I have no doubt this would work as well..
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
11 Posts
I have to agree with CSpaced on what a beginner should start with but it is quite subjective isn't it? I learned with a Raptor 30V2 with a Roto-Pod, took the "training wheels" off after a month & a half & advanced to a 50V2 after about 6 months. A larger heli is more stable although too big can be intimidating & dangerous for a beginner (& those around him.) I too did not have the luxury of an instructor on a buddy box and simulator time was a must also! The mcpx is very stable for its size I'll admit but can be squirrely to a novice.

It really it depends on what worked for each of us individually and I'm sure there is no ONE best way for everyone. So lighten up on CSpaced, he did a great review so folks know what to expect if they do choose to purchase a B450, whatever their skill level. Its time consuming and the pay sucks so its nice to have some reviews out there to take what you feel is worthy & disregard the rest as you so choose.
autowrench is offline Find More Posts by autowrench