Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Discussion
RC Heli First Timer - Waiting for Z008 To Arrive and Seeking Assistance

Hi Everyone!

First I will begin saying what a fabulous site you got there.. it's amazing.

As mentioned previously, my Z008 should arrive in few days (hopefully) and while it does, I realized I got some questions which I would like to have answered so my first flight is even better.

1.) So I will begin with the most important one. Package where I ordered it from included all the little details, EXCEPT the manual (Maybe it arrives but they didn't write it in ebay ad). http://cgi.ebay.com/4CH-AVATAR-Z008-...-/180679332730

That's why I would be glad if someone offered me first step instructions after opening it. Obviously, I know that I should first put batteries in the transmitor. Like.. first to turn on transmiter and / or helicopter before charging ? Or Helicopter should be turned off before charging ? Is there any indicator that tells me when charging is over, what to plug first -heli or USB port... etc.. manual stuff. ( I plan on using only USB charger )

I assume to take off is just pull the throttle up gently ? Is there anything special I need to be looking for ? I read that surface should be flat, and obviously indoor where there is no wind.

2.) My second question is this, and also extremly important one. My brother ordered Syma 107G so I ordered this adapter : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280688188135
Would this work fine on charging both / only one without damaging their batteries. Suprisingly, the adapter arrived here after only like 7 days.. so I hope it's not a wasted money-

3.) What is the difference between Z008 and F1 Series F103. I noticed the second has a charging port and on/off switch on sides instead of below. I also noticed the F103 heavy beating videos on youtube. Is F103 THAT better than Z008? Did I make a mistake or Z008 is made of same materials aswell ?

4.) I also read about this helicopter that main shaft is usually the first thing that breaks, can anyone give me any picture of that ?

Well I cannot think of anything else in the moment. I appreciate the help in advance and if there is anything you can add that I missed that would enchance my experience and the lasting time of the product, feel free.

Also, European here! Take Care.
Meggy is offline Find More Posts by Meggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:02 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Hi Meggy,

To help answer some of your questions:

1) The first thing you should do when you receive your helicopter is place the helicopter battery on charge. It's pretty straight forward, with the heli turned off you plug one end of the USB charging cable into the heli and the other end into a USB power source. There's a light on the charging cable on the plug that plugs into the USB port. How they work varies between cables, it will either illuminate whilst charging and turn off when charging is complete of vice versa.

Once the heli is charged, obviously you will want to insert fresh AA batteries into the transmitter (TX).

Turn the TX on first, making sure that the throttle stick is at its lowest position, all the way down. Now turn on the heli and place it on a flat and level surface, do not move the heli or touch the TX at all. This is important as these helis have a gyro that needs to initialise. There's usually a little flashing light in the heli that will turn solid to indicate that the gyro has successfully initialised.

At this point, you're ready to fly. Make sure you have plenty of room for your first flight, though these toy coaxial helicopters are extremely stable so you shouldn't have too much trouble. Just push the throttle stick upwards until the heli takes off. It's better to have the heli sit as high in the air as you are comfortable with, at low altitudes the heli will become unstable due to something referred to as ground effect, basically the air generated by the main blades bounces up off the ground and pushes the heli around.

One important thing to know is that the battery inside of the helicopter needs to be taken care of in order to last. Don't drain the battery all the way down, as soon as there's a noticeable drop in power land and stop flying. You may want to time your flights and limit them to around the 5 minute mark. Once you've stopped flying, turn the heli off and give it 5 or 10 minutes to cool down. Now recharge and once charging has completed, allow another few minutes for the battery to cool down. These measures will help to ensure that the battery inside of the heli lasts as long as possible.

2) Yes, that adapter will be fine.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:30 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Limiting Flight duration is absolutely critical to the life of the battery.

Listen to Frank FJS about timing your flights, all it takes is 1 over discharge on your built in lipo battery, it will ruin the battery and require replacement. Use some kind of count down timer to limit the flight duration, These are economical and simple but effective with audible alarm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Digital-LCD...item1c14d8bc28
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jul 28, 2011, 06:41 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
556 Posts
You should find that once you have everything switched on ready to go as above the heli will not spin up.....you will have to go full up on your throttle stick then all the way back down to activate it. The heli will not fly other wise.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Thanks for your replies guys.

I just ordered that alarm althought I doubt I will be needing it.

Man, I was looking for an use of a countdown timer on my wristwatch for a year.. now I will finally have one!

So the alarm will be given and used for cooking

@simo I find what you said confusing. I guess I will have to wait and see for myself.

@Frank -Thank you for answering the majority of my concerns.

edit :

5.) Can someone please explain me this A, B, C channel thingy. I understand it's on the transmiter, but I am pretty confident there is no such thing on a helicopter. So how do you choose it ? And would Syma S107 and Zheung Z008 interfere if on same channel ? Is it even possible to fly those two in the same time ?
Last edited by Meggy; Jul 28, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:34 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Not all of these helis behave the same Meggy. What simo was saying is that it might be necessary to fully raise the throttle stick and then lower it in order for the helicopter to initialise. I have one heli where this was the case, with the others they are good to straight after being turned on.

The frequency is usually set from the factory, so your helicopter might be set to frequency B for example, meaning that you need to switch the TX to frequency B to match. There's usually a sticker on the box or on the heli that indicates which frequency to use. There are some exceptions though, some helis will bind to any frequency, which allows you to control up to 3 helis with the same TX at the same time. Regarding interference, sometimes they do tend to interfere with each other so you will just have to try it out and see how you go.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Jul 2011
73 Posts
Yeah but if (for example) both Syma and Z008 are channel A, is it the same frequency ? Or is it different between transmitors ? I am guessing this is an issue regarding the transmitors of those two being interchangable right ? (which I doubt again since one is 3ch and other is 4ch so they are completely different )

I understand what you mean by throttle thingie now, thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:14 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Generally speaking, the frequency is different amongst brands. Band A on a Syma will not be the same as Band A on a different brand. There's no continuity with these little helis though, there's a great deal of variation even amongst the some product.

I tried to fly an S107 with a 6010 at the same time and they interfered with each other, despite being different brands of heli and operating on a different frequency. Some people have had a lot more luck though. You won't know for sure until you try it.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 04:46 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
199 Posts
I know this is an old post, but maybe someone still look-in and has an answer for this one: My heli's chargers don't automatically turn-off when the battery is fully charged. I've replaced the batteries in the Tx, replaced the on-board battery, tried charging via USB. All is still the same, there is no indication when charging is complete. So . . . can anyone tell me how long it's safe to leave the heli on-charge. Thanks, Tony
T.W. is offline Find More Posts by T.W.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 06:33 AM
United States, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Nov 2012
203 Posts
Tony
What brand helicopter or type are you flying?? What charger are you using?? I have about 25 helicopters and they all shut off when fully charged. Or at least the light goes on or off when done. You could get a meter to measure the voltage in the battery when charging and note the time it takes for full charge. Not all helicopters with charging protection or thru the PC board or battery will let you measure the voltage. A 3.7v lipo will be full charge around 4.2v. Most of my 3.7v 150mah helicopters take 20-30 min to charge if not over discharged.
bobwrgt is offline Find More Posts by bobwrgt
Old Nov 21, 2013, 08:20 AM
NE England
Joined Jul 2002
199 Posts
Hi Bob, I'm surprised at your short charge-time. Even when everything was working ok mine were on-charge for around twice as long as yours. Maybe I just fly too long before re-charging (I fly 'till I need to start opening the throttle more than normal to maintain height). The two helis giving me charging problems at the moment are an F103 and a Z008 - both with 'side-fans' removed to save on weight. I normally charge these helis via charger circuit removed from an old (Z008) Tx, which I power via a 3300mah S3 LiPo through a voltage regulator. This has worked perfectly for the past couple of years, so I first suspected the voltage regulator had failed, but it hasn't. So, to check things out I tried using the normal Tx charger just now - one heli has charged-up perfectly with the led going to to tell me the charge was complete, so that's one problem solved (but I still don't know why this doesn't happen using my LiPo powered charging system) but the other one (Z008) still refuses to show it's fully charged after 90 minutes. I'll fit a new battery to this one and see if this makes any difference. Thanks for your help, Tony
T.W. is offline Find More Posts by T.W.