SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
4 Posts
Question
Getting Out of Lift

I have a Ripmax Nebula (electric, 3 ch - built up wings - which unfortunately is now discontinued) and have been flying it today in glorious sunshine with very little wind (very unusual for the UK). The problem (if it is a problem) was that it kept going up and up until it was barely visible and all attempts to get it to come down proved almost impossible. Eventually we found that by using the rudder as a "brake" (full left, full right, etc) it came down to a manageable height and was landed. As the centre section of the wing is flat I wondered if I could fit some form of spoiler/brake in there without too much disruption to the model. Anyone got any hints/tips/photo's on how this can be done. As this is purely a pleasure glider I dont want to go too complicated or expensive.
Thanks
dc6839 is offline Find More Posts by dc6839
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:45 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,774 Posts
Spins and spirals work well for me. Another tip is just don't get that high. When you start to get uncomfortably high, either spiral the airplane down a couple hundred feet by holding full up and full rudder, or drive to a different part of the sky where the air isn't so good. If lift is really strong, there's probably some strong sink nearby to exploit.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:54 AM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
The best way to get out of lift is to come over fly near me.
Mark Miller is online now Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Jul 2011
4 Posts
Thanks Mark, point taken, but the I think I would be well out of range for my Tx , not to mention my eyesight !
dc6839 is offline Find More Posts by dc6839
Old Jul 28, 2011, 07:28 PM
cq cq de kr4is
USA, VA, virginia beach
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
i have read recently the full right or left rudder and full up elvator was reffered to as the "leaf" manuver.. seems quite fitting and ive only receantly learned/practiced after a few in the cloud/specked situations, im new to this glider/td stuff. spoilers on wing will help but the "leaf" works fine without the hassle of mods to existing wings,,,next wing you build or buy try it with spoilers.
Personally im not good enough to "fly out" of a hat sucker thermal with out totaling my plane or breaking elevator in half and tearing 8 inches of top wing mono coat off in the rapid desent for a "safe" landing. im learning and a near vertical learning curve for me.
flexsphincter is offline Find More Posts by flexsphincter
Last edited by flexsphincter; Jul 28, 2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:54 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Loop.

Loop.

Loop.

Loop.

Loop.

Loop.

Loop.

Loop.

Loop.

Works for me, I tried it a bunch of times today. I hit the early afternoon boomer session just right today, and it was a hoot! I motored my radian pro up to a reasonable height, and immediately found lift. About every two or three minutes I would have to fly some aerobatics or just push the nose down and haul some mail around for a bit to get down to comfy level, then start back up again. After hitting 15 minutes without even trying, I decided to shoot for 30.

At 30, I was glad to pop crow and bring her down, neck was tired!
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone
Old Jul 29, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
The airfoils we use typically don't like to fly upside down. With weaker models, I have flown more than half a task upside down to get down in time...

That's an old Mark Smith trick that he used to use flying Windfrees...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:02 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,080 Posts
Windmill the prop

+1 on flying inverted - most sailplanes will loop into inverted and hold it with full or most of the down elevator. You must start before you get too high, though; difficult to fly accurately when it is just a speck.
Another trick is to advance the throttle trim till the motor just spins, then fly fairly fast (elevator trim, set and practise at an easy height) to use the windmilling prop as a brake. Works nicely on my Optima, but more effective with a big prop.
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,022 Posts
I did the old full right rudder, full up elevator trick. It comes down nice and gentle.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:59 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
73 Posts
Hi all ! On my elevator and rudder planes I use the loop and/or leaf method . On my flap planes I drop the flaps and put the plane into a moderate dive , the flaps help hold the speed down .
bradluke0 is offline Find More Posts by bradluke0
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:48 PM
Low altitude flyboy
Minneapolis
Joined May 2010
325 Posts
I have used.... the spoilers.

Last week, I nearly lost the old Cumic Plus. I lost sight of it a couple of times. I thought "enough is enough" and went to full spoilers. Came back up wind and caught the next thermal and started all over again.

I love TD!
MajorMal is offline Find More Posts by MajorMal
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planepainter View Post
I did the old full right rudder, full up elevator trick. It comes down nice and gentle.

PP
Build it STRONG and DIVE!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:16 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,925 Posts
This might seem too elmentary, but if you fly directly upwind of the thermal you will find the sink. Just circle in the sink for a short time. Your glider will soon get bigger. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Aug 02, 2011, 03:28 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
Build it STRONG and DIVE!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!
I've always wondered how some get stuck in a thermal???? Push the stick forward and dive. If the wings cannot take it, dive at a lesser angle. If you cannot get the nose down your elevators are not adjusted correctly.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:22 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Get stuck in a thermal? My problem is finding them!

No, really, been there, done that. Fly straight, cross the controls, loops, spins, dives (my DLGs are strong enough for that): they all get me down just fine.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang