HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 15, 2011, 02:18 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
422 Posts
Table failed!
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:09 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
422 Posts
20 amps & 250 watts out from 12-13.8 volt in, Version 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
[...] I use 12V nonimal deep cycles at the field and thus realize that as they sag to approx. 11.5 V under load and perhaps down to 10.5 as the day wears on or I have multi chargers charging at the same time at higher amps. This leads me to check available output in the 10.5 to 11.5 range more.

A few input / available output numbers[:]

10XP 12V in / 234 watts out. and a mx. of 15 amps. per cell.

Unnamed charger 12V in / 250 watt out and max of 20A per cell [...]

I have posted numerious times I really could care less what XYZ charger does on 14.8 V or 15.4 volts as these are not voltages I will be using.

I use 12 or 24V at home as I use server power supplies and at the field I use 10.5 - 13V as in two each 12V deep cycles in parallel total of 250 Ah. I can switch them to series in around 3 minutes but rarely do.[...]
Charles
(Emphasis mine.)

I love the software FMA/Cellpro has in my Multi4. I believe it is similar in the PowerLab 8. The way it measures chemical activity in the battery, at least I think it must, and responds is terrific and makes for great safety! While the user interface in the 10XP isn't quite as nice it's close enough so that it is safe and perhaps easier to use. (See Tim Marks' Comments about the interface in post 48 and post 50.)

However, I use either 2 12v 7Ah field batteries in parallel, my car battery, or (at home and the club) a 13.8v power supply. I chose not to lug around a large power supply because it's a pain. (I realize I can re-wire the Great Planes electric caddy to put the field batteries in series for 24v.)

Is there a reasonable chance of a version 2 of the 10XP which will put out 20 amps at 250 watts with 12v - 13.8v in?

Table of charger cababilities for LiPo charging.
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
| No.   | Charger   | Charge   | Power | Charger   | @ 3C Charge Rate  |
| LiPo  | watts out | Voltage  | Amps  | Max Amps  | Max Batt Capacity |
| Cells | @ 12v in  | n x 4.7v |       |           |                   |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  2    |  234      |   9.4    |  24.8 |   15.0    |   5.0 Ah          |
|  3    |  234      |  14.1    |  16.5 |   15.0    |   5.0 Ah          |
|  4    |  234      |  18.8    |  12.4 |   12.4    |   4.1 Ah          |
|  5    |  234      |  23.5    |  10.0 |   10.0    |   3.3 Ah          |
|  6    |  234      |  28.2    |   8.3 |    8.3    |   2.8 Ah          |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  2    |  250      |   9.4    |  24.8 |   20.0    |   8.8 Ah          |
|  3    |  250      |  14.1    |  17.7 |   17.7    |   5.9 Ah          |
|  4    |  250      |  18.8    |  13.3 |   13.3    |   4.4 Ah          |
|  5    |  250      |  23.5    |  10.6 |   10.6    |   3.5 Ah          |
|  6    |  250      |  28.2    |   8.9 |    8.9    |   3.0 Ah          |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  2    |  500      |   9.4    |  53.2 |   30.0    |  10.0 Ah          |
|  3    |  500      |  14.1    |  35.5 |   30.0    |  10.0 Ah          |
|  4    |  500      |  18.8    |  26.6 |   26.6    |   8.9 Ah          |
|  5    |  500      |  23.5    |  21.3 |   21.3    |   7.1 Ah          |
|  6    |  500      |  28.2    |  17.7 |   17.7    |   5.9 Ah          |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:52 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHSoars View Post
(Emphasis mine.)

I love the software FMA/Cellpro has in my Multi4. I believe it is similar in the PowerLab 8. The way it measures chemical activity in the battery, at least I think it must, and responds is terrific and makes for great safety! While the user interface in the 10XP isn't quite as nice it's close enough so that it is safe and perhaps easier to use. (See Tim Marks' Comments about the interface in post 48 and post 50.)

However, I use either 2 12v 7Ah field batteries in parallel, my car battery, or (at home and the club) a 13.8v power supply. I chose not to lug around a large power supply because it's a pain. (I realize I can re-wire the Great Planes electric caddy to put the field batteries in series for 24v.)

Is there a reasonable chance of a version 2 of the 10XP which will put out 20 amps at 250 watts with 12v - 13.8v in?

Table of charger cababilities for LiPo charging.
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
| No.   | Charger   | Charge   | Power | Charger   | @ 3C Charge Rate  |
| LiPo  | watts out | Voltage  | Amps  | Max Amps  | Max Batt Capacity |
| Cells | @ 12v in  | n x 4.7v |       |           |                   |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  2    |  234      |   9.4    |  24.8 |   15.0    |   5.0 Ah          |
|  3    |  234      |  14.1    |  16.5 |   15.0    |   5.0 Ah          |
|  4    |  234      |  18.8    |  12.4 |   12.4    |   4.1 Ah          |
|  5    |  234      |  23.5    |  10.0 |   10.0    |   3.3 Ah          |
|  6    |  234      |  28.2    |   8.3 |    8.3    |   2.8 Ah          |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  2    |  250      |   9.4    |  24.8 |   20.0    |   8.8 Ah          |
|  3    |  250      |  14.1    |  17.7 |   17.7    |   5.9 Ah          |
|  4    |  250      |  18.8    |  13.3 |   13.3    |   4.4 Ah          |
|  5    |  250      |  23.5    |  10.6 |   10.6    |   3.5 Ah          |
|  6    |  250      |  28.2    |   8.9 |    8.9    |   3.0 Ah          |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  2    |  500      |   9.4    |  53.2 |   30.0    |  10.0 Ah          |
|  3    |  500      |  14.1    |  35.5 |   30.0    |  10.0 Ah          |
|  4    |  500      |  18.8    |  26.6 |   26.6    |   8.9 Ah          |
|  5    |  500      |  23.5    |  21.3 |   21.3    |   7.1 Ah          |
|  6    |  500      |  28.2    |  17.7 |   17.7    |   5.9 Ah          |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|

- Jim
Hi:

Sorry, the CP10XP is capped at 15A. There will not be a 20A v2 model offered.

Thanks,


Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:13 AM
Registered User
j35u5fr34k's Avatar
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Is it possible to do a firmware update so that we can charge with the balance leads on this model? I recently bought a plane and the lipo that came with it seems to only charge via the balance leads.

If not can anyone point me in the right direction on wiring this battery for charging through the power wires (lack of terminology).
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
Registered User
ricoalonso's Avatar
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
Check post #72 in this thread. That may be what you are looking for.
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
Is it possible to do a firmware update so that we can charge with the balance leads on this model? I recently bought a plane and the lipo that came with it seems to only charge via the balance leads.

If not can anyone point me in the right direction on wiring this battery for charging through the power wires (lack of terminology).
If the tip by ricoalonso didn't help can you post the name and nomenclature of the battery and the plane? A picture would help too.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:12 PM
Registered User
j35u5fr34k's Avatar
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
If the tip by ricoalonso didn't help can you post the name and nomenclature of the battery and the plane? A picture would help too.

Glen
Battery:
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1032

The plane is the Parkzone J-3 BL edition. The stock charger is the only way that I can get this to charge. I have tried my Detrum DC6 and my FMA 10XP charger and I get an error on both. The XP says that there is a Low Tot V which I am assuming is due to the fact that it doesn't see one of the cells? Not sure. I will post the error later if necessary.
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
Registered User
j35u5fr34k's Avatar
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
Check post #72 in this thread. That may be what you are looking for.
Thanks for the tip.

If I can't find another method I will consider modifying my charge adapter for this purpose but I am leery about changing my board at this time. I may just buy a different battery for this bird.
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:49 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
Battery:
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1032

The plane is the Parkzone J-3 BL edition. The stock charger is the only way that I can get this to charge. I have tried my Detrum DC6 and my FMA 10XP charger and I get an error on both. The XP says that there is a Low Tot V which I am assuming is due to the fact that it doesn't see one of the cells? Not sure. I will post the error later if necessary.
Have your used the LiPo 2sU 8.4V option? It's under the Chemistry section. The original Preset 4 is set to LiPo 1sU 4.20V. Select that and change it to the 2s selection.

This selection is used to charge 2S Lipo's in unbalanced mode. Connect the battery discharge leads to the charger. The balance leads are not used.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:17 AM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
.................

................
I'm going to think about some kind of product selector guide we might post on our website; e.g., "Need help selecting a charger or battery workstation?", which would include factors based on price, power, features, interface, etc.

Tim Marks
A Product Selector Guide would be great!
Should boost sales too!

I really like the 4S Gold unit I have, especially the simplicity & ease of use.
But those features seem to fade in favor of the higher amps & multi pack features in your higher end units.

Right now, if I were to get another of your chargers, I'd favor another 4S Gold, a Multi, or maybe a 10S, but it's really a bit confusing which to choose.

A Product Selector Guide on your web site would help a bunch in choosing!!!
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:14 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1pcfixer View Post
A Product Selector Guide would be great!
Should boost sales too!

I really like the 4S Gold unit I have, especially the simplicity & ease of use.
But those features seem to fade in favor of the higher amps & multi pack features in your higher end units.

Right now, if I were to get another of your chargers, I'd favor another 4S Gold, a Multi, or maybe a 10S, but it's really a bit confusing which to choose.

A Product Selector Guide on your web site would help a bunch in choosing!!!
Hi:

Duly noted. Thanks for your comments.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:15 PM
Registered User
teryn1's Avatar
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
870 Posts
I am getting the "Bad S. Count Node wiring" error now on all my batteries (turnigy,XH). these are charging fine with the PL8. any suggestions?
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:41 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
I am getting the "Bad S. Count Node wiring" error now on all my batteries (turnigy,XH). these are charging fine with the PL8. any suggestions?
Hi:

Are you using the Revolectrix adapters? If so, make sure you have the unit in FMA WIRING MODE. Check p 22 of the user guide here:

http://revolectrix.fmadirect.com/sup.../item_1375.pdf

Some customers inadvertently put the charger in XH WIRING MODE which can produce this safety code.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:53 PM
Registered User
teryn1's Avatar
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
870 Posts
Tim, thanks. I am still getting the problem for Turnigy 6s 5000 mah.
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Last edited by teryn1; Nov 14, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:26 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
Mark, thanks. I am still getting the problem for Turnigy 6s 5000 mah.
Hi:

Can you please post some good photos of the packs connected to the charger? Need to see the adapters, all the wiring, how everything is connected up.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FMA Cellpro 10XP Charger alexf1852 Batteries and Chargers 77 Feb 13, 2014 08:20 AM
New Product Introducing the Scirocco--All Molded, All Carbon Pitcheron Ward Hagaman Slope 174 Nov 16, 2012 08:40 AM
Sold Cellpro 4s Lipo & A123 Charger apex Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Jul 02, 2011 09:49 PM
Found all around charger wanted / trade for Cellpro 4S +++ jazzster Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 4 Mar 21, 2008 05:55 PM
New Product Introducing the all new Brushless Sensorless Motor Controllers for cars and boats jackson_f Product Announcements 3 Jan 12, 2007 03:13 AM