Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:50 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
619 Posts
Tim, quick update. I was able to replicate some of the storage charge issues this afternoon. I will forward the saved CCS .txt files to Howard tonight for the appropriate person(s) to review with my comments about what CCS was showing.

Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Hi, Tim:

I just spoke with David at ProgressiveRC and he is up to speed on the issue with my 10XP and has seen this thread. He advised he will make sure that you know which unit it is when he gets it back to you at FMA. Great dealing with David, BTW.

David is sending me another 10XP. I have used the 10S's for some time with few issues and although the thought occurred to me to try another brand, overall the safety features and the ease of use for charging the dual 5S 5A pattern packs makes the CellPro chargers quite attractive for my purposes.

Stuff happens.

Thanks much,

Bob Moulder
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
Hi, Tim:

I just spoke with David at ProgressiveRC and he is up to speed on the issue with my 10XP and has seen this thread. He advised he will make sure that you know which unit it is when he gets it back to you at FMA. Great dealing with David, BTW.

David is sending me another 10XP. I have used the 10S's for some time with few issues and although the thought occurred to me to try another brand, overall the safety features and the ease of use for charging the dual 5S 5A pattern packs makes the CellPro chargers quite attractive for my purposes.

Stuff happens.

Thanks much,

Bob Moulder
Hi:

It just occurred to me to ask you this:

Did you check for continuity across the two yellow banana jacks? If a battery gets plugged in across these two jacks, it blows an internal, 15A fuse. If you have a volt meter, you can check it. Sorry if you already addressed this. I did not go back and re-read all of your posts.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:31 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back sooner - been busy with work and family...

No, never did plug across the yellow jacks, so that was not the issue. One time plugged in the main charge wires for parallel, but made sure it was black-red-black-red. Still got the same Ch1 cell count messages.

David already got the new unit to me, and I mailed out the other unit today.

Speedy and thorough service has made me happy. ProgressiveRC is now my default "go to" for chargers and power supplies!

Bob Moulder
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:54 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2011
558 Posts
Help

I want to charge my 1s 500mah lipos for my blade sr120 and can't figure out what setting to use for this could someone explain please? Also if I would want to parallel charge how would that be set up? Would i just use the outside jacks when using a parrallel cord and what settings would I use for that I had to send mine back for warranty work after only one week of use so I am trying to have this all figured out when I get it back hopefully next week. Any help woul be much appreciated.
racerboy65 is offline Find More Posts by racerboy65
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:08 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
racerboy65

Use preset #4 (LiPo 1sU) and set the current to .5A. Connect the pack to the Red and Black jacks on the front panel. Balance taps are not used.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:31 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
I have 5 charge cycles on the replacement 10XP with no problems. Charged 3 of the 5A 5S dual packs at 1c and 2 at 2c, using a PowerMax 75A PS.

Bob
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Feb 2006
619 Posts
Bob, have you tried a 'storage' charge on your large packs yet? Curious how it works with your new unit.

Don
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:17 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
Bob, have you tried a 'storage' charge on your large packs yet? Curious how it works with your new unit.

Don
Not yet, Don, but if the rain lets up this afternoon I will get to fly so I will have some batteries to charge in storage mode.

EDIT with update:I have my TX timer set so that when I fly I rarely drain the battery voltage (unloaded) below 37 volts. I charged a couple of these with the "storage" charge. Seems to work well.

The first pack (2 in series), Power Unlimited 4900s with very good IR's ranging from about 1.2 to 1.7milliohms, starting voltage 37.42, after storage charge voltage 37.875, with each of the 10 cells VERY close to 3.787 volts as the storage charge. Time to charge 26 min 54 sec.

The second pack (again, 2 in series), Zippy 5S 5Ah with IR's ranging from about 3.4 to 4.5milliohms, starting voltage 37.11, after storage charge voltage 37.849, each cell very close to 3.785 volts, time to charge 30 min 17 sec.

So it is set for a storage charge of about 3.785v and the cell balancing is extremely close.

-- Bob
Last edited by cmoulder; Oct 01, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Feb 2006
619 Posts
Bob, glad it is working for you. The current 10XP firmware doesn't storage charge to 3.85V per cell, 3.7xV seems to be the approx target. Anywhere between 3.75V to 4V per cell is acceptable according to the Lipo gurus.

However, I believe there is still an issue. The storage charge is supposed to use 1C. My 10XP never ramps up to 1C even if the starting voltage is down near 3.7V. Your starting voltages were pretty close to the target storage charge yet it still took quite a bit of time to get to the storage cutoff.

My guess is both the storage charge termination and the default 1C storage function are not quite 'right' and FMA is working on this. It is not a safety issue luckily. I have supplied CCS files to FMA showing this anomaly in the data so we should hear soon whether this is in fact an issue or working as 'designed'.

I really like the charger, just this one area seems a little strange.

Don
Last edited by DonA; Oct 02, 2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:02 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Don,

I am guessing it seems to take an apparently inordinate amount of time because it is also balancing the cells. I have noticed that during a normal charge, up to 99% "fuel" level goes pretty quickly, but then it can take a while to complete the cell balancing. If I am in a real hurry I will sometimes (but not often) stop the charge at 99% and the batteries seem to work fine, with all cells reading something like 4.204 volts each, all identical numbers.

I fly often enough that I don't usually use the store charge during flying season. But it will soon be put to use with the departure of good flying weather.

As such, the store charge seems to be good enough for me, considering how infrequently it is needed.

-- Bob
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:51 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
Bob, glad it is working for you. The current 10XP firmware doesn't storage charge to 3.85V per cell, 3.7xV seems to be the approx target. Anywhere between 3.75V to 4V per cell is acceptable according to the Lipo gurus.

However, I believe there is still an issue. The storage charge is supposed to use 1C. My 10XP never ramps up to 1C even if the starting voltage is down near 3.7V. Your starting voltages were pretty close to the target storage charge yet it still took quite a bit of time to get to the storage cutoff.

My guess is both the storage charge termination and the default 1C storage function are not quite 'right' and FMA is working on this. It is not a safety issue luckily. I have supplied CCS files to FMA showing this anomaly in the data so we should hear soon whether this is in fact an issue or working as 'designed'.

I really like the charger, just this one area seems a little strange.

Don
Hi:

You might try using the CCS to assign a different Fuel table to the storage preset for your batteries. The Storage preset uses AUTO charge; therefore, selecting one of the canned Fuel Tables that more closely resembles your battery mfr/chemistry might improve the 1C accuracy.

Tim Marks
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:52 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
Don,

I am guessing it seems to take an apparently inordinate amount of time because it is also balancing the cells. I have noticed that during a normal charge, up to 99% "fuel" level goes pretty quickly, but then it can take a while to complete the cell balancing. If I am in a real hurry I will sometimes (but not often) stop the charge at 99% and the batteries seem to work fine, with all cells reading something like 4.204 volts each, all identical numbers.

I fly often enough that I don't usually use the store charge during flying season. But it will soon be put to use with the departure of good flying weather.

As such, the store charge seems to be good enough for me, considering how infrequently it is needed.

-- Bob
Hi:

Don't forget, if you are interested in faster charging with slightly less accurate balancing, consider setting the Charge Optimization for "Faster Charge" by clicking the START/STOP button prior to pressing and holding it to start the charge. This mode can shave 10 minutes or more off a 1C charge time.

Tim Marks
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:01 AM
Joined Feb 2006
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

You might try using the CCS to assign a different Fuel table to the storage preset for your batteries. The Storage preset uses AUTO charge; therefore, selecting one of the canned Fuel Tables that more closely resembles your battery mfr/chemistry might improve the 1C accuracy.

Tim Marks
Tim, I used CCS to try different fuel tables for the storage charge function, it didn't seem to make any difference.

Don
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:44 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Don't forget, if you are interested in faster charging with slightly less accurate balancing, consider setting the Charge Optimization for "Faster Charge"

Thanks!

I did forget.

Bob