HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:44 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Argh... that didn't work.

Now getting the message "Ch 1 no add up"

Put the balance node leads and discharge wires on the old 10S and it works fine.

Maybe somehow reset factory settings or update firmware with CCS? I have the PC cable.
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:16 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Used CCS to reinstall the firmware (V 1.19, the latest) and still get the "Ch1 Bad S. count"

Double arghhh!!
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:31 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
How many packs and cell count in each pack are you trying to charge when you get this error message?

If only one pack with 2S to 5S, did you make sure to use the outer charge posts to connect your charge leads, and that you plug the balance leads into the balance adaptor plugged to channel-1 ?
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:08 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
How many packs and cell count in each pack are you trying to charge when you get this error message?

If only one pack with 2S to 5S, did you make sure to use the outer charge posts to connect your charge leads, and that you plug the balance leads into the balance adaptor plugged to channel-1 ?
I am charging a 10S pack made from two 5S 5000mAh packs in series. Almost universal combination in electric 2-meter pattern aircraft. Balance node adapter from the pack's ground (black) discharge side goes into the Charger's Ch1 and power (red) into Ch2, using the charger's outer banana plug jacks. I have done this many times on the two CP 10S chargers I have been using.

Just to make sure it wasn't only this configuration that was the problem, I set up two separate 3300mAh 5S batteries to charge on separate discharge wires and (of course) balance node adapters. No change, same error message.

Next I tried to charge a couple of older 3S 4500mAh wired in series, with the same "Ch1 S. Count bad" message.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:41 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
In your original post (#88) you mentioned it worked the first time but the 2nd time it started giving this error, correct? If so, could it be that something went wrong with the connectivity in one of the charge/balance adapters? Had you tried reseating the connectors. How about charging one pack of maybe 3S or 5S at a time using Ch-1 while swapping charge/balance adapter? You may be able to isolate the bad one.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:46 AM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
645 Posts
Any progress on the storage anomaly mentioned in post #78? Not being able to automatically storage charge after flying a 10S pack is getting cumbersome.

I have also experienced the error message cmoulder is having a couple times tho in my case after reseating all the plugs, the message goes away.

Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:17 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
In your original post (#88) you mentioned it worked the first time but the 2nd time it started giving this error, correct? If so, could it be that something went wrong with the connectivity in one of the charge/balance adapters? Had you tried reseating the connectors. How about charging one pack of maybe 3S or 5S at a time using Ch-1 while swapping charge/balance adapter? You may be able to isolate the bad one.
I have 4 adapters and 4 main charge wires and have tried every combination. I looked at the pins in the charger where the adapter plugs in and they are fine.

As mentioned above, I tried to charge a single 3.3A 5S battery with the same result.

Running out of options, and the final option is not too good. Bought it at ProgressiveRC and therefore cannot send it directly to FMA for warranty repair. Oh well, I'll contact the seller and see what to do. Funny thing is, I had the 10XP shipped FedEx 2-day because my one of my 10S chargers (the newer one, but out of warranty, of course) went bad and I sent it to FMA for repair. Ironic that the oldest charger has several hundred cycles on it with no issues.

So I got one good charge out of my brand new CP 10XP lol!!

Or is there another thing or 2 to try??

PS: ricoalonso and Howard, Thank You for your replies of assistance.
Last edited by cmoulder; Sep 24, 2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add ps
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:06 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,474 Posts
Maybe your seller can just send you a replacement. If not, try contacting FMA if they will cover it for warranty replacement/repair. After all, it is still their product (I assume?).
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:28 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
I'm not too worried. Since it's brand new there should be no problem with that. Just going to wait to see if there's. Some sort of secret reset available before I give up on it.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:29 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
Any progress on the storage anomaly mentioned in post #78? Not being able to automatically storage charge after flying a 10S pack is getting cumbersome.

I have also experienced the error message cmoulder is having a couple times tho in my case after reseating all the plugs, the message goes away.

Don
Hi:

We had the beta team check on the issues you noted. They have provided the results of their testing in this thread. So far, I don't think any one has been able to duplicate the kinds of problems you note. Yes, the STORE preset does appear to under-shoot the "ideal" storage voltage by around .05v. It may be that we need to massage that operation a little, but it is not something we would consider "a bug". Basically, anything between 3.7v and 3.9v is perfectly acceptable for storage charge termination.

The other item you mentioned was that while charging in storage mode, the charger did not stop at 3.7/3.8v, but continued higher. However, your attached screen captures do not show this.

If you can provide additional information in the form of saved charge graphs from the CCS, that would be helpful to help our engineers troubleshoot the problem. You can deliver these graphs to howard@fmadirect.com who will assure they reach the correct individual.

Until then, I'm afraid we're kind of in the dark on your original post.

Sorry,

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:34 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
I'm not too worried. Since it's brand new there should be no problem with that. Just going to wait to see if there's. Some sort of secret reset available before I give up on it.
Hi:

9 times out of 10, problems like what you site are the result of worn or dirty contacts. I recommend you buy some spray contact/pot cleaner from Radio Shack, use a toothbrush to really get down into all of your connector contacts and pins; on the batteries, the adapters, and the charger.

There is no magic cure in terms of a reset button for this issue.

If deep cleaning the contacts does not solve the problem, it sounds like you will need to work through your reseller to have the unit replaced. When you speak with David at Progressive, please have him keep close track of this unit. When it gets returned for inspection, we want to be able to trace it back to this post. Other than the one post regarding storage charge preset in this thread, we have had very few problems with the 10XP out of the gate; mostly just user error. Since this is a brand new product, we want to make sure we look closely at any anomolies and knowing the background for the return is extremely important to us right now. Be sure to fully document your issue, print posts from this thread, etc.

Thanks,

Tim Marks
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Tim, sorry to get off track-I have a PL-8, with a paraboard and FMA cable from Progressive. I use the XHS mode and still get a very high IR reading on cell 1, so I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:16 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Here is the array of balance adapters and charge wires I have tried. There is one more set of balance adapters and 1 charge wire set being used with the 10S. All are clean and no bent pins.

All of them work with the 10S and none of them work with the 10XP.

So I'll get in touch with David G at ProgressiveRC Monday.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:59 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
Tim, sorry to get off track-I have a PL-8, with a paraboard and FMA cable from Progressive. I use the XHS mode and still get a very high IR reading on cell 1, so I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Hi:

You specifically asked Howie to answer your question in the PL8 thread. So I sent him an email and asked him to reply to you directly in that thread. He'll likely reply on Monday. Hope you can remain patient until then. He has more direct feedback from customers than I do.

Thanks,

Tim Marks
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:23 AM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

We had the beta team check on the issues you noted. They have provided the results of their testing in this thread. So far, I don't think any one has been able to duplicate the kinds of problems you note. Yes, the STORE preset does appear to under-shoot the "ideal" storage voltage by around .05v. It may be that we need to massage that operation a little, but it is not something we would consider "a bug". Basically, anything between 3.7v and 3.9v is perfectly acceptable for storage charge termination.

The other item you mentioned was that while charging in storage mode, the charger did not stop at 3.7/3.8v, but continued higher. However, your attached screen captures do not show this.

If you can provide additional information in the form of saved charge graphs from the CCS, that would be helpful to help our engineers troubleshoot the problem. You can deliver these graphs to howard@fmadirect.com who will assure they reach the correct individual.

Until then, I'm afraid we're kind of in the dark on your original post.

Sorry,

Tim Marks
Tim, thanks for the response. I will try and duplicate this and capture via CCS. I will also test it doing a charge and a discharge to storage. Other than this item (which could be user error) the charger is working well. I am enjoying the higher charge rates on my 10S packs, even without going to higher input supply voltages.

Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA