HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2011, 04:01 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
I was able to get it to charge the 3s batteries but not the 6s. I get the same error.

Ch.1 Bad S. Count, Node Wiring FMA
Hi,

Make sure you are connecting both pigtails from the adapter into the charger. The RJ1 pigtail connects to channel 1 and the RJ2 pigtail connects to channel 2.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:35 PM
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
119 Posts
Thanks Tim and Howard. That was exactly what my problem was.
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:24 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
593 Posts
Have been using my 10XP for about a week now and have run into a strange problem with 'storage' charging. Typically, after the last flight(s), I put packs on storage charge so I don't have to do that at home.

Today, I tried to do a storage charge on a 10S (2 5S packs in series) after a flight. the charger did not stop at 3.85V per cell, in fact, it kept charging until I stopped it at about 4V per cell.

After I got home, I started playing with the storage function and it appears 'broken' to me. I took the same pack that was now at around 4V per cell and put it on a storage charge and it began discharging at 1A. This is a 5000mah pack so discharging was really slow. After about 15 minutes, I took it off the charger and manually discharged it down to 3.9V and put it back on the 10XP. The XP started discharging again and I let it go down to approx 3.82V, then took it off again. Manually discharged it down to
3.8v, back on the 10XP. The 10XP discharged down to 3.79V then switched to charging again. The charge rate showed a gradual increase from .8A to .98A, 180mah put back into the battery, but the voltage was not climbing.

Isn't 3.85V the target for storage? This 10XP doesn't seem to be using that value or, it is just confused, switching from discharge to charge, reporting mah input but voltage not climbing.

Attached are 3 pictures of the CCS screen. First, the presets I am using. Second, screen shot during discharge just prior to switching to charge. Third, screen shot just after switching to charge.

Am I doing something wrong? Presets not correct? Or do we have a bug here?

thanks
Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Last edited by DonA; Sep 12, 2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:26 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,369 Posts
Just to let you know this is being looked in to.
Mine Dsc. to Storeage to 3.77 (28%) and charges to Storage to 3.795 (41%)

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:41 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
593 Posts
thanks Charles

Don
DonA is online now Find More Posts by DonA
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:31 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
Also, first week to be using my 10XP (big leap from my old 4S) and also noticed the same during Bal to Storage. It discharges a pack to storage between 20% to 30%. I thought it is supposed to be 50% but did not bother until I see this postings lately. Hope to hear any news/update soon.

^R^
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,369 Posts
Simple fact is that 3.7 to 4.0 is an OK Storage range. I started advocating 3.85 years ago due to the simple fact that it is the mid point of this range.

Up to around three years ago most new LiPolys were shipped with cells close to 3.7 and now most are closer to 3.85. Bottom line is some worry to much about an exact storage voltage.

Charles
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Simple fact is that 3.7 to 4.0 is an OK Storage range. I started advocating 3.85 years ago due to the simple fact that it is the mid point of this range.

Up to around three years ago most new LiPolys were shipped with cells close to 3.7 and now most are closer to 3.85. Bottom line is some worry to much about an exact storage voltage.

Charles
I agree. ...

Edit: Yes, I see your point.

^R^
Last edited by ricoalonso; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
BTW, how does the 10XP know whenever there is a new firmware update without coming to this newgroup or checking FMA's website? Will the CCS check for updates everytime you start it?

Thanks,
^R^
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:37 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
Will the CCS check for updates everytime you start it?
In short, yes. The long answer is that just after you start the CCS is looks for updates. Then the next time you start the CCS it will prompt you to perform the update. In the past you'd have to wait for the CCS to check for updates before you could start using it, so the current order is much preferred.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:05 PM
United States, IL, Riverwoods
Joined Jan 2006
11 Posts
10xp

I understand that you can charge two batteries at one time. The question is do the two batteries have to be identical?

Jim
Jim Audo is offline Find More Posts by Jim Audo
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:47 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,369 Posts
Several ways to charge two at the same time but if you are refering to one on each of the two Channels then no they do not have to be the same cell count or capacity but...

The CP1010 and CP10XP wa really desingend for charging LiPolys used in series or parallel of the same capacity and discharged to the same level.

If they are of different capacity or discharge levels then when the first one enters the CV stage the charge is also reduced to the second one and it can take a very long time for the charge to end. You can however Stop the charge ,remove the finished one and finish charging the second one after making the necessary plug swaps.

Snip from post @1

Because it is a Cellpro, it is designed to be safe first and foremost. It is virtually impossible to damage batteries with the Cellpro 10XP charger. It will not let you make a mistake. It must see all the cells in a Lithium pack and the sum of the cell voltages must equal the total pack voltage. It is ideal for charging one or two LiPo, LiIon, or A123 type batteries. When two packs are connected to the 10XP, it automatically interconnects them in series internally inside of the charger. It essentially "sees" all the individual cells as one pack of cells. It can handle 1s-5s on either or both balance charge ports, or it can handle up to a 10s battery pack using both ports. To achieve the full 15A max output current, connect both the balance connectors and the main leads from the pack(s) to the banana jacks.* While the Cellpro 10XP can handle charging two packs of different capacities or charge states, it is mainly intended to support 2 pack charging when the packs are the same or similar capacity and state of charge, such as 2 x 4s packs which are wired together in series or parallel during operation in an electric aircraft.
Charles.
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 16, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:05 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Okay, so I got a brand new CP 10XP and charge a pair of 5s 5A packs in series, using 1 set of discharge wires and the 2 node balance plugs.

Charges this pack fine, taking only 40 minutes @ 2c. Great.

Next pack I get the warning "Ch1 Bad S. count" and "WIRING NODE FMA"

Tried different packs and swapped out node adapters, all of which work - and have been working for quite a while - on my CP 10S.

Any guesses??
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:14 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
Okay, so I got a brand new CP 10XP and charge a pair of 5s 5A packs in series, using 1 set of discharge wires and the 2 node balance plugs.

Charges this pack fine, taking only 40 minutes @ 2c. Great.

Next pack I get the warning "Ch1 Bad S. count" and "WIRING NODE FMA"

Tried different packs and swapped out node adapters, all of which work - and have been working for quite a while - on my CP 10S.

Any guesses??
Hi,

Check all your banana jack cables for good solder joints. I had a customer this week with the exact same problem and it turned out to be the cable. Let me know how you make out.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:20 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Okay, that is something I didn't try, to switch out the main discharge cable. However, I am using APP connectors and am guessing that one of the crimps might have flexed enough to cause an open circuit. I will check as soon as I get home from work and will find out quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion!
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder