Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:27 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318TI View Post
Arived and out of stock:-(.
Hi:

Actually at 4:24 pm EST, Tuesday, there are still a few left available, but going fast.

Tim
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:22 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
105 Posts
Yes I see it now (USA shop).
I was looking at INT store
BMW318TI is offline Find More Posts by BMW318TI
Old Aug 31, 2011, 04:18 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,475 Posts
Charging a 6S pack composed of 2 x 3S packs in series?

Alright, I understand that now the 10XP no longer support node-only charging. So, the discharge leads and the balancing leads has to be connected to the charger.

Now, here's my situation: I have 6S packs which I made out from 2x3S packs connected in series. This will mean that I have one pair of discharge leads but have 2 separate balancing connectors (1 for each 3S pack).

My question is: Can I still charge this pack as 1 pack by connecting the discharge leads to the outer banana jacks while at the same time connecting the 2 separate balance connectors to Ch1 and Ch2 making note that Ch1 has the lower number node and Ch2 has the higher number node?

As much as possible, I don't want to be separating the packs just to charge them.

Any response is appreciated.

Thanks.
Rico.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Jul 2008
31 Posts
6S 3300 mAh packs

A quick question I have a new setup that I will be flying, 6S

I currently fly a 4S setup and charge 4 x 4S packs at once with 2 Cellpro 10S chargers. It works great.

Iím moving to a 6S setup and would like to know if there is a way to charge 4 x 6S packs at once with both chargers?

Thanks
vanhey1 is online now Find More Posts by vanhey1
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:00 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhey1 View Post
Iím moving to a 6S setup and would like to know if there is a way to charge 4 x 6S packs at once with both chargers?
This is the Cellpro10XP thread. Better to start your own thread. Quick answer your question is yes. But you'd need to parallel charge two packs on each Cellpro10s. The 10s maxest at 10 amps, so that'd be 5 amps per pack or 1.5c per pack. Pretty slow by today's standards.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:03 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
My question is: Can I still charge this pack as 1 pack by connecting the discharge leads to the outer banana jacks while at the same time connecting the 2 separate balance connectors to Ch1 and Ch2 making note that Ch1 has the lower number node and Ch2 has the higher number node?
Yes, it can be done. I did the same thing with two 4s packs configured in series as an 8s pack. One discharge lead and two 4s balance taps, one per channel. I also used the CCS to mark the preset as a single pack so the balancing and statistics treat the pack as one pack instead of two.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:06 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Yes, it can be done. I did the same thing with two 4s packs configured in series as an 8s pack. One discharge lead and two 4s balance taps, one per channel. I also used the CCS to mark the preset as a single pack so the balancing and statistics treat the pack as one pack instead of two.
Gregor99,
Thanks for the reply. Is it necessary to do it using the CCS or is that optional? If it is a requirement, can it be done only thru the CCS or it is available in the Options menu. I was hoping I can get away with buying the charger-to-PC interface for now.

Thanks again.
Rico.

Edit: Just found the 10XP manual from FMA. Looks like changing a preset is also possible thru the built-in options/mode menu... but I need to read more to ensure. Still would appreciate if you can add any comment. Thanks.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Last edited by ricoalonso; Sep 01, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:50 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
> Just found the 10XP manual from FMA. Looks like changing a preset is also possible thru the built-in options/mode menu...

Correct. The 10XP includes presets for both dual and single pack charging. The dual pack presets include "dual" in the title. I highly recommend the PC connection. FMA is good about supplying user requested features in firmware updates. The pc connection is required to update the firmware. Plus, management of the presets and other charger settings is quite a but easier with the CCS.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Computer use with the PL-8 is also very easy owing to FMA's diligence, so this should be the same. Like Gregor, I recommend it!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:50 AM
Joined Jul 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
This is the Cellpro10XP thread. Better to start your own thread. Quick answer your question is yes. But you'd need to parallel charge two packs on each Cellpro10s. The 10s maxest at 10 amps, so that'd be 5 amps per pack or 1.5c per pack. Pretty slow by today's standards.
Gregor99, Thank you for your reply. My question is about both the 10S and the 10XP. And if it was worth upgrading to the new XP for my charging needs.

Your comment has me asking another question. The Power Supply? I have a 13.8 VDC, 28A (max) output power supply from Revolectrix. With this power supply the 10S maximum output is 225 watts and the 10XP is 269 watts. What power supply does one use to get the maximum 605 watts from the new XP? Is there a better way to charge 4X - 6S 3300 or larger 5000 mAh packs at the same time?

Thanks
vanhey1 is online now Find More Posts by vanhey1
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:21 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
My question is about both the 10S and the 10XP. And if it was worth upgrading to the new XP for my charging needs.
Thanks for clarifying. The XP is capped at 15 amps vs the original Cellpro10s at 10 amps. Charging two 6s 3300 packs that would be a charge rate of just over 2c vs 1.5c for the Cellpro10s.

What power supply does one use to get the maximum 605 watts from the new XP?
Review this chart from post 52 in this thread. For 6s packs, the maximum output is 378 watts. Next look at the power chart from the 10XP manual. To achieve 378 watts, you'll need a power supply approximately 18v and 25 amps. Server supplies in series are a good way inexpensively get 24v and more amps than you would need.

Is there a better way to charge 4X - 6S 3300 or larger 5000 mAh packs at the same time?

For a charging scenario where the user would like to charge up to 4x 6s packs at a time, the Cellpro10XP may not be the best selection. See post 52 for more commentary on the subject.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=52

A high wattage dual port charger capable of charging at least 2 6s packs at a time would better suit my needs and it sounds like yours as well.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:28 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,042 Posts
OK guys, all the Cellpro 10XP's have shipped and are on their way! Thank you for your orders!

For the guys that want node only charging with the 10XP, it takes a little mod to the adapter board. Keep in mind, if you choose to perform this mod, you no longer have the over current protection from the charger, like you did with the Cellpro 10S. You will be responsible for setting the current limit, not to exceed 4 amps. The way the mod works is the adapter is wired one way for 2S - 5S packs and another way for 6S (not that too many people will be charging node only for 6S but I added it just in case).

Name: 10XP Node only mod.jpg
Views: 155
Size: 31.3 KB
Description:

Name: 298157_10150276924137414_633367413_8126672_2923713_n.jpg
Views: 132
Size: 26.2 KB
Description:

If you have a pack connected to the adapter board, the banana plugs will be hot and could short out it touched together. Always make sure the banana jacks are connected to the charger before you connect your pack to the adapter. Please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:33 AM
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Error with charging

Hey everyone,

I just received my Cellpro 10 XP but I am having trouble getting my batteries to charge with the new XP. I'm almost sure there is something that it is something I am doing wrong but I don't know what.

When I try to charge my 6s 5000mah Zippy, I get Ch2. Bad S. Count, ERROR XH NODE. Ok, so do I have to have another adapter?

Whenever I connect one of my 3s Sky LiPos and try to charge I get: Ch1. Bad S. Count, ERROR XH NODE. Ok, so what gives here?

Here are some pics from my bench:

Picasa web

Explanation of pics:

1. Screenshot of my settings
2. Attempt at charging 3s Sky 4400mah on 1st preset
3. Error immediately after hitting start on charger
4. Error immediately after hitting start while attempting to charger 6s Zippy on preset 2
5. Attempt at charging 6s Zippy 5000mah

I opened a case with support on the FMA site but I am hoping that someone can clue me in before the weekend is over. I would like to use my product!

Thanks,

Justin

UPDATE:
by Unplugging channel 2 I was able to get it to charge one of the sky lipo batteries. Now it won't charge anything again.
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k
Last edited by j35u5fr34k; Sep 03, 2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Explanation of pictures - updated info
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:42 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
Hey everyone,

I just received my Cellpro 10 XP but I am having trouble getting my batteries to charge with the new XP. I'm almost sure there is something that it is something I am doing wrong but I don't know what.

When I try to charge my 6s 5000mah Zippy, I get Ch2. Bad S. Count, ERROR XH NODE. Ok, so do I have to have another adapter?

Whenever I connect one of my 3s Sky LiPos and try to charge I get: Ch1. Bad S. Count, ERROR XH NODE. Ok, so what gives here?

Here are some pics from my bench:

Picasa web

Explanation of pics:

1. Screenshot of my settings
2. Attempt at charging 3s Sky 4400mah on 1st preset
3. Error immediately after hitting start on charger
4. Error immediately after hitting start while attempting to charger 6s Zippy on preset 2
5. Attempt at charging 6s Zippy 5000mah

I opened a case with support on the FMA site but I am hoping that someone can clue me in before the weekend is over. I would like to use my product!

Thanks,

Justin

UPDATE:
by Unplugging channel 2 I was able to get it to charge one of the sky lipo batteries. Now it won't charge anything again.
Hi:

When you use a FMA/Revolectrix adapter as you are, then you do not put the 10XP into XH MODE. I think that is your problem. Please put the charger back into the factory default FMA WIRING MODE, and it should start working for you. The FMA adapters convert the XH wiring to FMA wiring. That is their purpose.

Let me know how you make out.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:01 PM
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
no 6s charging?

I was able to get it to charge the 3s batteries but not the 6s. I get the same error.

Ch.1 Bad S. Count, Node Wiring FMA
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k